Speedometer Gear Tooth Count?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

banjopicker66

Speedometer Gear Tooth Count?

Post by banjopicker66 »

Anyone know what the original speedometer tooth gear count would have been for a Slick with a 3.25 rear?
I put a C-6 in it, and then changed rear gears around so I forgot what it would have been originally.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Banjo.
I have a 3.25 posi and I "think" I used the 17 tooth in my C-6. Its been a long time, but I think I remember it being the green one.
Skipper
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
oldfordcoupe
United States of America

Post by oldfordcoupe »

i now have a cv rear end with a 3.27 gear an i had to go with a 20 tooth gear for the speedometer to read near right 16 an 17 gear were way to fast reading almost 20 mi hr fast
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Thank you gentlemen! It turns out, Skipper, that I had a 17 tooth gear in there already. Even with that, though, with the 2.75, the speedometer was reading 50 when I was doing 60.
OldFord, I put a 19 toothed gear in there per your suggestion, and it is giving me very close results. I show 36 MPH when doing 35 actual, and 47 at 45 actual.
I think the differences between the different recommendations as to which gear count to use have to do with the drive gear count on the transmission output shaft.
Thanks again.