Rear brakes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial
United States of America

Rear brakes

Post by 66camperspecial »

I got a limited slip dana 60 out of a 72 F250 that I am going to have 3.54 gears put in it and install it in my 66 F250 camper special,the 66 has new rear brakes and I would like to use them on my 72 rearend. I was looking on the autozone website to see what size of brakes was available on both,I had a friend do the rear brakes on my 66 so I dont know the size of the shoes. The 72 has 12X 2 1/2 and I looked up the 66 and it said something about a 5000 lb and a 5200 lb axle and it was on the tag,well mine says 7500 and since its a camper special does it have one ton brakes which are 12X3. If mine has the 3 inch wide shoes can they be put on the 72 rearend or do I have to buy everything new for the 2 1/2 inch wide brakes ,would it be easier to install the 72 limited slip guts with the 3.54 gears in my 66 housing. Jeff
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

The 3 inch wide shoes should work on the other rear end as long as you swap over all the springs, pins, wheel cylinders & drums. The backing plates should be the same & should accept the hardware from the 66 rear end.

I say 'should' in there, because I haven't actually done that swap on a F250 rear end, but I have done it on a F100 & it worked great. :)
Come to think of it, you could probably unbolt the backing plates from the axle housings & just swap everything over without even having to remove the brakes from the backing plates.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

I was wanting to use the backing plates so it would be alot easier to switch the brakes,I would really like to know for sure as I want to get it done in one day but I will go for it when the gears are installed. Jeff
RhinoGT

Post by RhinoGT »

Hey Jeff,
Just be carefull with the Autozone website. That is exactly what I came up with when I needed brakes for my 72 F250 (4x4) with the Dana 60 rear, but when I went to do the job they were actually 2" wide brakes. :cussing: I was very surprised thinking that my truck was heavy duty, but come to find out mine is a "light" F250.

Just measure everything, I would imagine you can put something together that works.
Steve

65 F250 4WD