Couple of Crew Questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shiny

Couple of Crew Questions

Post by Shiny »

So I just checked out my crew that a buddy found for me.Its in amazing shape.Only 45,000 original miles!Ex fire crew truck.
I haven't picked it up yet.

Anyways,I'm wanting to lower it and shorten the frame and put a shortbox on it.
I might end up clipping it later,might.
So I have an axle and diff out of my buddys 58 Merc 1/2 ton truck that he just clipped and diffed.I was wondering if they'll be the same width as my crew cabs axles.My crew is a F350 and I wanna take the heavy axles out of it.So I thought I might as well put in his 1/2 ton stuff cuz its sitting here.
I'm planning on flippin the axles on top of the leafs to hammer it down.Might take a leaf or two out also.And yes a C notch will be done too.

And the front fenders,are they the same as a 1/2 ton.The openings I mean,or are they bigger openings for more clearance for the bigger tires?

Thanx guys,

-Shiny
every movie I've seen the bad guy in the Camaro outruns the cop in the Crown Vic everytime!

'66 Merc "Crewlcab", SWB, clipped, c-notched etc
'65 Merc extra-cab,soon to be 3/4ton 4x4 SWBSOLD
'66 Merc J-Lo and Redford movie truck, from the movie "an unfinished life"
'66 Merc Crew Cab project 4x4 Cummins!
'65 Chevy crew cab
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Shiny sounds like you are on the money there. The '58 9" should be the same as a Slick to my knowledge. The spring lengths on the axles front and back might be different, you can prolly just remove some from the one ton stack if you want. The front axles are slightly different if I remember right, on the older trucks. Can't remember if they are dropped more, or quite what. Garbz Knows.
Your front fenders on a one ton have bigger wheel openings that a 1/2 ton. You have to compare the two side by side if you don't know the difference, but you are correctt. You could run the bigger openings, though, if you like them.

Besta luck!
JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Arties/Captncarstop/mikes crew was done this way using F100 springs and axles The front axle was placed on to the F350 spring pack.. It can be done but needed some serious grindaging on the axle pads to fit...

As for flipping the front i have not found a good way to do it yet and not hit frame.

Rear best bet is to remove the F350 hangers and spring pack and bolt on a set from a F100 or later 150.

The F350 frame is huge in cross section. I palced the Suicide Crew on to a 79 trailer special F150 chassis.

Garbz
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

Garbz wrote:Arties/Captncarstop/mikes crew was done this way using F100 springs and axles The front axle was placed on to the F350 spring pack.. It can be done but needed some serious grindaging on the axle pads to fit...

As for flipping the front i have not found a good way to do it yet and not hit frame.

Rear best bet is to remove the F350 hangers and spring pack and bolt on a set from a F100 or later 150.

The F350 frame is huge in cross section. I palced the Suicide Crew on to a 79 trailer special F150 chassis.

Garbz

Do you have any pics of Arties crew?
How low did he get it?Ride good/ok?
How about some pics of your crew too?

Thanx
every movie I've seen the bad guy in the Camaro outruns the cop in the Crown Vic everytime!

'66 Merc "Crewlcab", SWB, clipped, c-notched etc
'65 Merc extra-cab,soon to be 3/4ton 4x4 SWBSOLD
'66 Merc J-Lo and Redford movie truck, from the movie "an unfinished life"
'66 Merc Crew Cab project 4x4 Cummins!
'65 Chevy crew cab
Matt66

Post by Matt66 »

I have Arts crew. The ride was awful. We live in a town full of rail road tracks and it would throw you into the next lane when you hit one. I replaced that awful suspension with an Aerostar front. Its not quite finished yet, so I dont know how it drives. Also, decided to paint it while everything is apart. Pics are in my gallery at FTE.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/members/matt66.html

Matt
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Nice lookin' trucks Matt, welcome aboard! :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Matt66

Post by Matt66 »

I used to post some at the old site, just dont have time to do too much anymore. I just really started checking here again the last week or so. Maybe cause spring is here and I am working on my truck again.
Matt