Need some opinions on this truck

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

thenephilm
United States of America

Need some opinions on this truck

Post by thenephilm »

I have been trying to get rid of my s10 for some time now so I can work on my 66 f100 project. A guy just offered me this 65 f100 in trade and I wanted to see what you guys thought. Its kinda ugly but does $3000.00 seem like a fair price or what do you really think its worth. http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2501651620.html

I have already asked about the interior, rust, mileage, and requested more pictures but he lives right down the street from me so it would be an easy trade.

I was trying to get about $2500.00 for my s10 btw.

Thanks,
Justin
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

Justin, If you were counting on the money out of the s-10 sale to work on your 66, I'd say sell the s-10. If you don't need the cash and there is no bad rust issue on the 65,I say go for it. :2cents:
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

I was thinking that it may be easier to sell the 65 if anything as my s10 is not a running project right now. Plus, I would get to drive it till it was sold :) which could wait awhile lol.
"Whitey Ford"

Post by "Whitey Ford" »

If you get it then immediately start sanding and tkaing that paint off....wheels too holy crap its like they let their 5 year old decide the paint scheme....id say still trade though.
Girls love a pick-up man.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Other than the paint and the wheels (easy fixes) looks and sounds like a decent truck. I'd certainly rather have the Slick than the S-10 particularly if the S-10 isn't running and the Slick is.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i'd take a running anything over an s-10 project. just saying
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

Found out it is a long bed and most of the body work has been done and he put a new exhaust on it as well. I agree that the wheels are bad as is the paint but I have a set of stock wheels. Only thing that is upsetting really is that it is a custom cab but the trim is obviously gone. I kinda wish it was a short bed too. Has a 352 in it that has been freshened up as well. I am waiting for more pics from him and to see if he is actually interested in my truck as it is rather unique lol.
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

Well the guy drove it over to look at my truck. His has the 3 on the tree with the 352, runs good and does have new seats. The seat is ripped but it is the original seat. Does need some work to the floor pans, cab corner, and the bed has some rust in the floor but its solid by the front wall. What would you say the value is of it? If I got, I would put stock wheels on it and repaint it the original tan color.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

slickmainer wrote:i'd take a running anything over an s-10 project. just saying
I agree with Gregg. If the guy's willing to trade, I'd jump on it.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

My question would be do you have the time and money for two project trucks? If so take the trade. If not i would take the cash.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

this would be far less of a project than my s10 since it runs and drives and I wouldn't have to it, it would be wayy easier to sell than my s10. I think I am going to go for it.
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

From the description and the pictures, I would say that truck is NOT worth the $2500 you want to get out of your S10.

Just my opinion.

I see the point of running vs. not running.

However, you value your S10 at $2500. Also you mentioned that you wish the truck could be a short bed. Well, it isn't. So why pick up something you don't really want. shrug.gif

Get cash for your S10, and leave this one be. :2cents:
:popcorn:
66CC

Post by 66CC »

Trade him straight across. A running pos is always better than one that doesn't. :wink:
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

could you cobble the two slicks together to get one and sell off the remains of the other to recoup the money
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

Well I damn near have everything for the other slick and if it runs well, I would hate to tear it apart completely as this one is still very restorable. I have torn them apart before for parts but only because they were too far gone. All of the parts for my short bed are almost rust free too.
HEITZ

Post by HEITZ »

S10 that doesn't run for a driveable 65 slick..... that one is easy. Go for the Slick. It sounds like most of the mechanical work has been gone thru, so you may get a lot of hassle free miles out of it.

However, drive it and don't get carried away with a restoration. Rust free slicks in your neck of the woods are hard to come by. The cab restoration would be a bear and costly...... I've done it.

A couple rattle cans worth of black paint will cure the ills of that paint job and it will be a quick rat rod. It's been done to death but a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new paint job.

Good luck,

Heitz
Regards,

HEITZ
sully5

Post by sully5 »

No brainer. Get the slick before he changes his mind!
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
rcb1020
United States of America

Post by rcb1020 »

I agree ! running over non running is a no brainer , make sure you crawl under that 65 truck and look it over really good ! Look over all the typical rust areas and ask questions about any mods to the frame / body ect.
Gatkpartz6179

swap or not

Post by Gatkpartz6179 »

I say no..cash for the s10 period..the slick is a longbed and you yourself have made it a project,not a driver talkin about wheels and paint and...Stick to what you have now,one at a time,its and s10, it'll sell.. IMHO
Yep, this is Pete!
BackyardRest

Re: Need some opinions on this truck

Post by BackyardRest »

thenephilm wrote:I have been trying to get rid of my s10 for some time now so I can work on my 66 f100 project. A guy just offered me this 65 f100 in trade and I wanted to see what you guys thought. Its kinda ugly but does $3000.00 seem like a fair price or what do you really think its worth. http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2501651620.html

I have already asked about the interior, rust, mileage, and requested more pictures but he lives right down the street from me so it would be an easy trade.

I was trying to get about $2500.00 for my s10 btw.

Thanks,
Justin
sell your s-10 for 1500 and buy the truck for under 500. start off with a better truck that one is trashed, whats hidden underneath? I say stay away