engine question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

donald luster

engine question

Post by donald luster »

Hello gang, I havent been on the site since last year due to computer trouble. Had to get new name to get in. Question?? I have 1963 slick with 223 engine and 3 on tree trans. How much trouble would it be to upgrade to 240 or 300 engine? Will 240 bolt up to my transmission ? Or do i need to go with overdrive 5 speed and worry about the clutch linkage? Is there any old speed equipment arround for the 223? I have only found header for earlier 223 engine. Thanks for any help Don
64slick

Post by 64slick »

I'm not sure if yer tranny will bolt up to a 240 or 300 but I do know that the exhaust and carb are on the other side, new exhaust etc,
64slick (Tom)
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

You will find some 223 info here.... http://fordsix.com/forum/ And here, along with a setup for a T-5 behind a 223. http://www.ford-y-block.com/
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Most of the 223 and 240/300 will not interchange.
I have a friend that has an Offenhauser intake that uses 2 1 barrel carbs for sale. There are some goodies out there. Do a search for Clifford Research for more goodies.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
donald luster

Thanks

Post by donald luster »

Thanks for your coments. I was hoping that the std 5 speed trans would bolt to my engine for right now because the engine is very low mileage but havent bee able to find any dress up equipment. I need more gas mileage not necessary more power. I hope to install 240-300 engine one of the days in future. don
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Donald.
I didn't see where you asked about the transmission and I apologize. I'm almost certain the 300 5-speed is a bolt up for your motor. You probably will need to use another crossmember behind the transmission as your original one has the mount on the bell housing.
Some of the Y-block tranny's don't work because of input shaft issues, but the 5-speed should drop right in.
You might find a used 3-speed, measure the input shaft and ask one of the guys here if they have the dimensions off the 5-speed.
Dennis Carpenter, Rick at Carolina Classics, (Bulldog Tom from this forum I think) and others have aftermarket crossmembers from Trans-a-dapt that should help you out.
The only other issue would be you'll probably have to have a new driveshaft cut but that is a no brainer.
Good luck.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

I almost asked the same question but i was wondering ...... I was told by an old timer that the 223 and 240 were the same block with a different Crank and rods. Is this true ? I have a 1964 223 IL 6 w/ 3 on the tree. The motor has 53000 miles but the asshead that had it before me put straight water in it and i recently found after getting home that there was about a 12-13 inch split in my block. I have temporarily patched it and it not leaking but i also want more power. A 300 is easy to come by but i dont want to lose my 3 spd on the column. Any Suggestions ? Not trying to hiJack but i have about the same question. Thanks, ,
RED

Dirtier Than A Trailer Park Love Story
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

He was probably thinking of the 262. The 223 and 262 share a lot of components, but the 223 and 240 are completely different animals. The 223 has 4 main bearings, while the 240 has 7. The 240 head also has 6 intake and 6 exhaust ports. The 223 has 4 intake and 6 exhaust, with the centre port siamesed.

There are still speed and dress-up parts available for the 223. Clifford, Fenton, and Offenhauser have all made parts at one time or another.

Uncle Skip, are you saying that a 5-speed from a 300 will bolt up to a 223?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Here I thought the 240/300 was a small block V8 transmission pattern on the block, wihle a 223 was a Y-block pattern. Learn something new every day.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The 223 is a y-block pattern, as far as I know. :?
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

So if i want to stick with my original Trans, what are my options for a motor then ?

292 ( V8 )
352 ( V8 )

Am i right ? Im Confused. Is there a site or thread that has Motor Parts Interchange info ? If im gonna keep that 223 IL 6 then its gonna get some work cause its a Pig.

Thanks,
RED

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

of your choices, 352 is not a reasonable option. There is a bellhousing off big trucks (F-350 and larger if I remember correctly) for 1965 and 1966 that had a bellhousing that would bolt up to a 352, and use those rear mounts on the trans case. But good luck trying to find one of those. Truckfarmer would be your best bet.

The other 3 will work. 262 is a one-year only engine in pickups (1964).
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Your best bet would be a 3 speed with overdrive setup if you stick to the 223. If truckfarmer does not have the FE bellhousing adapter, I can get one for you. Frankly an FE is not going to help you with gas mileage. the 300 six is a good engine, and has been a Ford standard for many years, but you will have to build a motor mount setup and need tranny and all.

Rich
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

i think ill stick to my 223 w/ a 3spd for now. Once i work all the bugs out of it i will cool out. Im just frustrated at Old stuff that people fix improperly and make my job harder. Thats the price we pay i guess. This nimrod ran in the mixture screw so far he actually broke the mixture screw housing. He said it was running badly and rich. Gee i wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it was running on 4cyl. Sorry to vent but some people have no business with tools. Oh and BTW .... He apparently owned more Vise-Grips than Line wrenches. Thanks for your help guys and letting me vent a bit.
RED

66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I have a 223 in my truck, I get 17-18 mpg. I have a 3.70 rear and just got a 3.25, I'm curious if I can squeeze a little more. As far as I understand, only a t-5 is the only newer trans that will work as Greg says and use his link to the fordsix forum, alot of good info. out there. Shame your not closer, theres a 223 for sale down the road for 50 bucks, all orig. good shape.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

If you need any parts off of a 223 or just want another complete engine I have the one out of my 63. It comes with the 3 speed manual.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

66fordtrucknut wrote:I have a 223 in my truck, I get 17-18 mpg. I have a 3.70 rear and just got a 3.25, I'm curious if I can squeeze a little more. As far as I understand, only a t-5 is the only newer trans that will work as Greg says and use his link to the fordsix forum, alot of good info. out there. Shame your not closer, theres a 223 for sale down the road for 50 bucks, all orig. good shape.
Charlie

Man !! Thats just what i need too. Im really in need of a Carb Base plate for my one bbl. What state are you in ?
RED

Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

MadMaxetc wrote:If you need any parts off of a 223 or just want another complete engine I have the one out of my 63. It comes with the 3 speed manual.

Do you by any chance have a 1 bbl carb ? Im gonna hit my local junkyard today and see if i can find a carb for parts. Unfortunately i dont have a vehicle that will make it to Kansas.
RED

fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Don,
The 223 bell is the same as the yblock on the end the tranny bolts to but on the engine end the two top holes are closer together for the 223. John Mummert makes and sells an adapter setup to put a T5 behind the 223. That is how I did mine a few years ago. I am very satisfied with my setup.
donald luster

Post by donald luster »

fmartin Did it help your gas mileage? Do you like the spread of the gear ratio between the gears? Are you using the 223 engine? Where is his business located? Thanks for answering sooo many questions. Don