fuel water separator

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bobenhotep
United States of America

fuel water separator

Post by bobenhotep »

I use a fuel water separator for a boat, mounted under the cab of my truck. modern fuel is full of water because of the ethanol in it. also, the filter keeps crap from jamming up your fuel pump.

If you look in walmart in the boat section, they sell one for about 30 bucks, and the spin on filters for it too. I think the filters are like 7 dollars.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Interesting. How much water does it separate, say per tank?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I have not a clue. but I live in coastal georgia in rain and humidity, and I dont have water in gas problems. It will also protect your fuel pump.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I will from now on put one of them on any truck I build. I like that I can get replacement filters at any wally world, and that they are marine grade water separators, so basically you are defeating the water in fuel thing by building your fuel system like a boat. That sounds like the Mikhail Kalashnikov way to fix the problem.

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI

cosmo

where & how did you mount it

Post by cosmo »

I like your idea, I want to do this ASAP and I would appreciate any guidance you might have...tired of adding anti-ethenol additive to every tank of gas
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I do not have much guidance per se. The filter and mount are made by atwood, and are sold in the boating section of walmart. I looked yesterday and the filter base is like 28 bucks, and replacement filters are 7 and some change. I still put marvel oil in my gas, but I forget sometimes and have not had any issues. I mounted the filter and housing under the truck so that the fuel tank feeds into it from above, that way the weight of the fuel helps overcome any restriction the filter has. also keeps the separator at the lowest point in the system. Like I said, i plan on building them all this way from now on. I also will mount the brake light switch behind the instrument panel, and use hei-ds2 ignition with a computer heat sink. I think I am figuring out this build a truck on a budget thing...

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI