quesions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

donald luster

quesions

Post by donald luster »

my 223 63 slick with 3 ontree has a 389 rear end ration. What size tires would you'll recomend to use on the truck with earlier rims and I may try to find a overdrive or a T-5 with a modified bell housing. What should a person expect from gas mileage with just the std transmission in it now? It has been down soooo long I cant remember from when I drove it long ago. thanks Don
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Don, not sure how you use your truck but if it was mine, I would install some 3.25 gears in the rearend until I found an overdrive.
Here is a tech article on how a freind of mine installed a T-5 behind a 292 Y-block. They had already done one behind a 223 before. This is the budget installation without buying an adapter. http://www.badgerlandf100s.com/techcorner/
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
donald luster

Thanks

Post by donald luster »

TruckFarmer: What can I say. Thanks thanks thanks for taking the time to help another slick owner. This is a wonderful article. Please pass on my thanks to your friend. Again thanks. Don
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

8) :iagree: Don, MR is a friend of mine as is Greg and Mike, the Big guy you see under the green Uni in all the pics. I have ridden in this truck and can say from experience, it does good on fuel mileage, and runs a lot faster than any y block powered truck I ever rode in. Your 223 with a t-5 should be great little ride. I agree with Greg, the 3.25 would givew you better fuel mileage, and higher speeds on the highway without turning so many rpm. One other idea you can do with the 3.89 gears is find a pair of 10.50 x 31 R 15 tires and put them on some 7 or 8 inch rims on the back. They are a couple of inches taller than a 235/75R15 tire, and will knock the rpm down almost as good as a gear change. I run them on my 56 F 100 with a 2.75 rear gear and it just almost idles down the highway. A 223 probably won't be strong enough to pull a gear like that stock, but the tire deal is an easy bolt on. PM me Don, and we can talk about it.
Truckrat
donald luster

Post by donald luster »

Hey Truck rat, Thanks for your suggestion. That might help me get on the road quicker. I have taken a job at Grocery store bagging groceries so I can get my truck running sooner. I could not get the membership form to work that you sent me. Your friend mentioned that the engine has fuel injection. I would like to read something about that project if he has anything on the net about it. Please let me know if it somewhere. What king of mileage does he get with the y-block? Thanks again truckrat. Don . PS I don/t know how to do the talk thing either. I guess I green as grass about computers.
Truckrat
United States of America

questions

Post by Truckrat »

8) Don, Glad to be of help. The Fuel Injection set up on MR's 292 is a set up he used off a Mercury Grand Marquis. He is pretty slick at setting it up, and it works really well. It is a throttle body setup, and I don't have a clue about the wiring, so all I can say is it will run in excess of the century mark easily with the overdrive gear in 5th. Fuel mileage is between 15 and 20 IF he doesn't lean on it. I rode a couple of hundred miles in it and it was rock steady all the way. I know my old y-block never ran that strong. He had actually detuned it some as it was a handful at first. Just to look at it, you would never suspect it runs that good, and he has surprised a lot of kids on the street with it. Don, if you look at the bottom of your post and all the replys there are several things under them. One says PM, one says reply, etc. Put your mouse on PM and click it. You can send a personal message to anyone you choose by clicking PM under their reply. It is just like sending an e-mail. Hope this helps. I will send you a link to get to the sooner site.
TR