locked up

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Truckrat
United States of America

locked up

Post by Truckrat »

bang.gif Can ya believe it? My engine in the fridge truck locked up on me. You know, the one I drove down to Pate. Crazy thing is, it wasn't even running. I was putting on a new timing cover and water pump. When I reinstalled the harmonic balancer and tightened up the bolt and washer that hold it on, I reached down to turn it so I could see the timing marks and paint some white on them so I could see them better with my timing light. It would only turn about an inch in either direction, and you can hear something hitting inside. Never had this happen before. I will find out tomorrow what is hitting what. Weird! TR
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Hope it's nothing major, Gary. Good luck!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Truckrat
United States of America

It's ok now

Post by Truckrat »

grrsign.gif Man, I wouldn't have believed it until I saw this. The fuel pump eccentric on the front of the cam that bolts on the front of the cam gear was rubbing against the timing cover. That's it! I thought about it all day at work and when I got home I looked at the timing cover I took off and it had a groove worn in the back of the cover about 1/16 inch deep. Somebody must have used the wrong pump eccentric on that engine. I was not aware they made more than one for the windsor engines, but I guess they did. Somewhere along the line it got put in there, and used that way. So.... anyone know where I can get a narrower one? This one measures 3/4 inch wide. I need one about 9/16-5/8 wide. Maybe I can just grind the excess off. Or, I could just put on a blockoff plate and run the electric fuel pump without the mechanical pump. Can anyone help? It is a 351 Windsor. Could I get one at an auto parts store, or is that a salvage yard part?
Gary
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

evil_lol.gif As Larry would say I "got r done". Heh Heh Heh!! I took that eccentric to work with me, and found my buddy John who is like the "Radar O'Reilly" of the shop. I showed him what I wanted done, and in about an hour came walking into our paint booth with a quarter inch shaved off the front edge of it. That afternoon I checked it for clearance with the eccentric bolted back on and the timing cover in place, and its ALL GOOD! Never let anyone tell you that we don't need "friends in low places". Hell thats where all of mine are.
LOL. Well, after that I have learned a lesson on those things. :wink: TR