Factory rear bumpers

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

lnevill
United States of America

Factory rear bumpers

Post by lnevill »

What kind of rear bumper would have been on a 66 swb 4x4 from the factory? A truck needs to have a solid bumper and the chrome reproduction ones I see don't look that sturdy, even the ones with the step. I'm not sure whether to clean-up and powder coat the one I have or go with an original/reproduction. If I do choose to keep this one, what color should it be (black, white, silver, or...?)

Here is a picture of the one I have. Check out the reciever hitch my dad built back in 1985 to go with it..... Yes, dad was a farmer!

Thanks,
Lee
bird55
United States of America

Re: Factory rear bumpers

Post by bird55 »

IMHO that one you have there would be your most cost effective solution redone like you suggested. A new one is going to be lighter probably. I had a homemade farmer style one that was pretty ugly and had to be torched off the truck. It was overkill. The factory "sport" bumpers look ok "what I have now" but are more for looks and wouldn't do much in a collision. I vote to cleanup what you got and keep what your dad made too. Unless your going for super show truck-then all bets are off! I painted my bumpers wimbledon white. Argent gray or silver works well too. Mines a 64.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

^^^I agree! I'm not big on all those old home built bumpers, but that one looks real good. Most of these trucks didn't come with rear bumpers, but here is a factory one, one a 4X4 too...

So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

no such thing as a factory rear bumper, they were all optional items ordered separately.

the styleside bumper (i call it the car bumper) was the only one produced by ford.

the wrap around bumpers like the one in your pic were one of the more common type installed;
either the flareside type or the dock bumper

the corners of these are weak, the dock type especially so, and the tin is prone to rusting.

i first used a sliding rear bumper, made for trucks equipped with campers ,beefed up with thicker diamond plate and fixed so it did not slide anymore but recently switched to this homemade job so i could have the receiver hitch

i modified the center section so the license plate is fully visible and it is now a beefy version of the uni styleside rear bumper
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64LL

Post by 64LL »

Does anyone know what this bumper is from? I haven't seen one like it on these trucks.

fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Homemade/local shop..

longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

In the 70s, I ran body shop for chevy dealer in middle tn, we got our step bumper for texas the deliverys came about once a month in about 20ft trailer. He had several styles the most popular had dealer name stamped in 3in channel. If we were really low he had some that the name would be sprayed on with stencil.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
Elliott
United States of America

Post by Elliott »

Here's one more choice.
This one is from Torklift Central, judging from the sticker. who knows though, it probably has been modified six times. Look solid as all get out though, if not the prettiest.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Beefcake!

bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

From what I have learned was that the trucks for the most part were shipped with out bumpers unless you ordered the sport bumper for the styleside trucks. Most of the trucks I've seen had the bumper like you have and were either dealer installed or by a local shop. I say keep what you've got and rattle can it so its easy to touch up.
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
Gatkpartz6179

Post by Gatkpartz6179 »

I can get "stock" sport bumpers and the brackets ,worst condition would need rechromed or powder coated..,not cheap to ship and brackets are gettin harder to find in boneyards,let alone a decent un dented bumper...you didn't post where you are...
Yep, this is Pete!
Gatkpartz6179

Post by Gatkpartz6179 »

fabbin the right brackets or usin some off a stepside or uni a fat piece of varnished oak would look great..
Yep, this is Pete!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Has anyone ever come up with a drawing for these? I would think they would not be that difficult to make given the drive, experience and talent on this board.
I know I would like to try my hand at it, if measured drawings were available.
If not, some day I might be lucky and find a set to duplicate.

****Pete****
when you are up and about again, see if you can find a set for a uni, and shoot me a price.

John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

brackets are repopped now and decent quality. i have had my hands on a set and they are heavy like the originals.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Lee,
My :2cents: , I'd take that heirloom bumper, wirebrush it good, wipe it down with a gas-soaked rag, let dry, BRUSH on a good epoxy primer then brush on two coats of either a silver or white cover paint. Brushing is easy, less hassle, gets a couple of good coatings of paint (more so than spray can). Try to get/keep the bumper temp above 55*F and the brushed paint will lay down just fine. Finally, bolt it on and then Keep on Truckin'.... :clap:

BarnieTrk

P.S.
:idea: While the bumper is still off and unpainted, how about cutting in a nice, bright (LED?), rectangluar-shaped, flush-mounted back up light on each side? Wire it directly to a toggle switch at the dash....
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Here is the one I cut off my 63.

I gained .200s on the 1/4mile by just shedding that overbuilt farm bumper.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

lynyrd skynyrd rocks !!!

clark

Post by clark »

My 66 has the same type bumper as the blue styleside above. It was purchased new in Columbia, SC.
Attachments
66kar.JPG
66kar.JPG (37.36 KiB) Viewed 282 times
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Clark,
NICE '66 ! :thumright: :rocker: That bumper does look the same.

(Say, do you have any more pics of your fine '66 - I looked in your profile for some, but found nuttin....)

BarnieTrk :steering: :cheers: