Saving $$$ and paint

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Saving $$$ and paint

Post by Uncle Skip »

There are two things I hate about painting. One is the cost.
At $400.00/ gallon for plain white paint, I can't stand to waste any of it.
Two, it pisses me off to make a mess (and waste that $400/ gallon paint) when you pour it out of the can to mix and it runs all over the place.
So, I was in Home Depot the other day and solved my problem for the gallon cans. Its a snap in plastic lip that fits inside the lid of the open can and keeps the paint from dripping down the side and collecting in the lid seal area.
But what to do about quarts and pints. Ah ha. i went back and got two more. I cut the big lip out of the ring and fitted the remaining piece it so it would snap inside the smaller cans. Total cost for all three - about 8 bucks. When you cut and trim the smaller lips, make it an interference fit so the two cut legs fit together. Then when you pour your paint, just wipe the drip off the lip, the excess drains back in the can and when it dries, the paint just peels off the plastic. No mess, nothing in the lid seal area and no wasted paint. This is the pint size ring and I just have it snapped in the top of the quart lid to take the picture. When its in the open can, the two open edges fit really close together so it doesn't accidentally fall out.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?