NO OIL IN THE TOP OF THE MOTOR. HELP!!!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jva118

NO OIL IN THE TOP OF THE MOTOR. HELP!!!

Post by jva118 »

A FRIEND IS WORKING ON A 64 WITH A 223 STRAIGHT SIX. THE MOTOR IS A FRESH REBUILD . HE HAS PLENTY OF PRESSURE IN THE CRANKCASE,BUT WHEN YOU REMOVE THE VALVE COVER THERE IS NO OIL. THE MOTOR WAS ALREADY ASSEMBLED WHEN HE GOT IT. HAS ALL RECIEPTS OF REBUILD FROM PREVIOUS OWNER. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO HELP US WITH THIS PROBLEM. THANKS
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

There should be 2 tubes in the top of the rocker shaft that curve down into holes in the cylinder head. These are the oil feed for the valve train, are they in place? Are they plugged?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
jva118

Post by jva118 »

they are free and clear. no oil is getting to the tubes. any other suggestions
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

The front tube on the rocker shaft is a drainback. The rear tube should have pressure from below. If you don't have pressure to the rear tube, the # 3 camshaft bearing was prolly put in without lining up the feed hole. I would suggest to pull the cam and check before any damage, if not already done.
Fred
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

There is another cure for the not oiling on the top end. You can put an external oiler line from the block.

Rich
jeffw

eng

Post by jeffw »

hey I had the same problem,, turns out hedauls did not put the cam bearing in properly,, youd better fix her,, I lost my rockers, bent a pushrod, and the rocker shaft was shot to hell,,
the boys at headauls went as far as to say they did'nt assemble my motor
that was the first time I was I talked to a bold face lier, but on a happy note they replaced all mentioned above, down to the gaskets, My buddy fixed her up and she rums like a gem!!! just like fmartin said,, that'll cure you lube needs
jva118

Post by jva118 »

LOOKS LIKE THE CAM BEARING WAS LINED UP,BUT THERE IS NO GROOVE IN THE CAM OR THE BEARING TO RECEIVE OIL. IS THIS COMMON ON THIS MOTOR?I AM SURE NOW THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM, JUST WHAT TO DO TO FIX IT. GET A NEW BEARING OR MILL A GROOVE INTO THE CAM. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Is there a bearing with a groove in the wrong position in the block? Maybe just got a wrong bearing in the set?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Moose
United States of America

Post by Moose »

Had a similar problem with my 390 a few years back. Installed a different cam, fired it up and no oil pressure!

Turned out to be the distributor was not seated onto the oil pump drive shaft. My engine ran for over an hour with no oil coming to the heads at all! The engine was running perfectly fine too. Might want to check and see if the drive is fully engaged in the dristributor.

Moose
American born, German blood, Texan attitude..... And people wonder why they call me "Moose."

66 F-100 Too much to list
05 F250 The Tank
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

How bout this.
Headgasket installed upside down. Does it overheat at all?
If it was flipped the water jackets may line up but not the oil galleries
Just a thought
At least I think it was a thought, at my age you really cant tell any more!
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.