Questions about 289 in 64 Slick

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cwindsor

Questions about 289 in 64 Slick

Post by cwindsor »

Hey guys....

Quick few questions.... :mrgreen:

I have a 64 slick that I am putting a 289 in... I have the Mounts,Crossmember and drive shaft cut to put in the slick.
I know I have to cut out the old crossmember since the C4 transmission wont mount on it but taking the rivets out I notice that one goes through the crossmember and through the frame and also the mount for the leaf spring. I stopped there for fear of losing support on the left spring????

Another question I have is whats the correct way to align the motor in the truck... Does the motor sit offset for the rear end being offset :shock:

Should I put the mounts on the motor, lower the motor in the bar, mock up the drive shaft and crossmember and drill my holes...? I heard that it must sit a certain way or there will be vibration.

Thanks alot in advance!
rickairmedic

Re: Questions about 289 in 64 Slick

Post by rickairmedic »

Dont quote me on this but I am prety sure the motor sits 2" to the passenger side of the truck . As far as the rivit that goes through the spring mount go ahead and grind it off and remove it and then just replace it with a grade 8 bolt .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
sully5

Post by sully5 »

3" to the right.

Fabricate some form of crossmember to replace it. The original crossmember was not just for engine mounting. It also gives needed rigidity to the frame at the rear of the leaf springs. I made one and it sits just between the AOD bellhousing and the trans pan. it's bolted in with 4 bolts. Two through the lead spring brachet (the existing hole above the rear spring eye, and another bolt hole behind the spring. Mine is made of 1-3/4 DOM tube and 1.5"x1.5"x 3/16 angle. It has to come out to remove the tranny, but it can be removed in a way only I know how (it's very tricky to fish it in there with the tranny in place).
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

When you said 3' to the right is that standing outside the truck or inside the truck?

The crossmember I have is premade for a c4\c6 setup

Would you center the moter over the axle then shift it 3" to the right?

Thanks
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

The offset is to the passengerside so to the right if you are sitting in the cab :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
sully5

Post by sully5 »

cwindsor wrote:When you said 3' to the right is that standing outside the truck or inside the truck?

The crossmember I have is premade for a c4\c6 setup

Would you center the moter over the axle then shift it 3" to the right?

Thanks
The crossmember to which I refer is not a new TRANSMISSION crossmember. Its a strengthening crossmember at the rear of the front leaf springs. Nothing bolts it. it simply stabilizes the frame at a high stress point.
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

However far you shift the engine to the pass. side, you also move the trans. In other words, the centerline on your engine/trans must be parallel with the pinion on the rear end. It does not have to be right in line with it, but the driveline has to be parallel - this keeps the u-joint in phase. Also the pinion angle needs to match the motor/trans angle to keep things in phase.

At least that's how I understand it. :burp:
sully5

Post by sully5 »

If your pre-made crossmember is the Speedway crossmember, be aware, there is NO OFFSET built into it. Been there, done that. I still have mine sitting out in the shed. I used a factory one from a 66 and it DOES have the offset built in.
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

Would a crossmember out of a 65-66 fit the C$ transmission?

Do you think it would be hard to mod the speedway one and also why does the motor sit like that? Is it for center line to the transmission or is it just for room for the steering box?
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I used a 66 crossmember with an AOD. I had to move it back a little further in the frame, but that's just a matter of drilling two holes in the bottom of the frame. Mine came from a 66 with a 352/C6 combination.

The Speedway crossmember cannot be modified enough to work. it is an arch, and moving the bolt holes 3" either way will take a bolt hole onto the side of the arch. I guess it couls be made to work, but not without significant cutting and welding. Easier to just find a factory crossmember from a 65+.
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

Not to beat this dead horse but....

I am looking for a 65+ Crossmemeber from a slick that had a 352\c6? Where these crosmembers bolted in or riveted in?

Would it be a direct bolt to the transmission on the C$? :|
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I don't know on the c4, but I *think* that the c4 and c6 can use the same crossmember. The ones I have seen were bolted in.