wheel size

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

AZDemon

wheel size

Post by AZDemon »

I am out here in phoenix, and i am about to move to kansas. I have a great ol 66 f100 shortbed style side and it is sitting on 4 different size tires all ripped up and in disrepair. I would like to start searching for wheels and tires, however i do not know the lug spacing and such for the wheels. anyone out there in the interweb land know what the size is for our glorious slicks? And does anyone have suggestions on where would be a good place to look for them. Thanks ahead of time. AZDemon.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Bolt pattern (if stock) is 5 on 5 1/2"
watch stock wheels 61-64 if you have disc brakes, they won't fit. Somebody else will have to give you tire sizes tho, as I don't know what stock are other than 15" dia.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

As far as I can remember, all the F-100/150's up thru 1994 stayed with the 5 lug on 5-1/2" spacing pattern ----- so go to your local junk yard and scrounge up a good set of factory wagon wheels.
If you don't have power steering stay in the 2.15-75/15 range for tires.
They're cheap and available and won't break your arm if you try to turn the wheel sitting still.
Run about 35 psi on the tires.
Have a safe trip and let us know when you get relocated.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

AZ, cheap "custom" wheels, any F 150 up through 1996. Just get them at the local junk yard. Most 90s era whels are 15x7 or 8 and will bolt right on. Bout the closest modern tire to original size would be about a 215 to 235 x 75 - 15. LOL, Skip types faster than I do.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I was a little bummed to find out ther were bigger than my Torino's 5x4.5 wheels. I have a sweet set that would look great on my truck.

Oh well, the slotted mags on there now are pretty nice.

Then again I'm bummed the slots won't fit my fairlane :?
Someday I'll get another slick :(
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

i run 215/75r15

they run 42 psi

i run them because they steer and brake fairly good. they are also cheap.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Orignal tires on your 66 were probably bias ply 7.00x15

These can be had, but are not really to be recomended.

For completeness sake, so you know your options, you CAN have an orignal looking 7.00x15 tire in radial. Unfortunately, its made by Yokohama. Very good tire, but the name pains me every time I look at it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... es&place=0

These are 8 ply rated, light truck tires and you can inflate to 55 lbs pressure, which makes them steer a lttile easier than with the P205/75R15 I had on there previously. I think, in terms of diameter, the 235/75R15 would be closes to original, but those put quite a bit of rubber on the pavement as well, which will steer harder when stopped.

RIMS:

I believe your 66 came with the larger hub caps. I wish I had a good pic. 61-65 are commonly referred to as "innie" stype, since the nubs that hold the cap on, face to the inside. 66 marked the change to the outward facing nubs that took larger hubcaps. That rim stype was retained for YEARS, as noted above.

It seems you are looking for aftermarket rims anyhow, so this info from me is likely to be moot. But figured I post it up anyhow.

Here's a couple pics too.

www.hermannsonline.com/f100/rims

Oh -- where you headed in Kansas? If comeing to KC, speak up. We are always happy to expand our numbers and with slick stock coming in 2008, you'll be close, no matter where you are in Kansas. If you are coming to KC and have some trouble once here, just ask for help....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!