My Slick is now in TX

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BigMike
United States of America

My Slick is now in TX

Post by BigMike »

LiveFromNY (John) flew into ATL on Friday afternoon. We did the deal at the airport and he was on his way - 900+ miles back to Austin.

He ran into a couple of issues on the way home. The hi/lo switch shorted out and blew the fuse for the headlights. It's only a handful of things I left original. He was about 400 miles from home when he lost the power steering. Pin hole in the return hose. All brand new hoses but things happen sometimes. He drove in manual steering mode the rest of the way.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and stories of my old girl as John continues to enjoy her. i
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
Dave Rogers

Re: My Slick is now in TX

Post by Dave Rogers »

Sounds about right. Easy fixes, good deals.
DAVE
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

I have to ask...

What did it go for.... It was a nice truck... :lol:
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

cwindsor wrote:I have to ask...

What did it go for.... It was a nice truck... :lol:
The asking price as it was firm. I did put about $300 in before it left finishing up the things I said I would.
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
Jonas
United States of America

Post by Jonas »

Mike glad to see it stayed in the Slick Family.
1966 F100 SWB 390/Toploader/Ford traction Loc

1997 F250HD 460 4X4

2004 RoadKing

1984 FLHS

1978FXE
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Probably a little late to mention this, but headlamps, and thus dimmer switch (hi/lo switch?) are protected by a circuit breaker on the light switch if OEM design and harness. If the headlamps no longer light, the switch will require replacement AFTER the original cause of the overload is found. It is quite often simply a worn switch compounded by long-term headlamp use, such as on a long trip. Higher powered headlamps and poor connections can also aggravate the situation, especially under trip conditions. If the headlamps simply flashed on and off, then the circuit breaker may not have been permanently damaged, and simply fixing the cause may avoid the need to replace the light switch with integral breaker.
I would highly recommend doing the relay conversion, to keep the full load from flowing through the light switch. The conversion usually results in noticably brighter headlamps due to less voltage drop through various connections. Look carefully at the connector terminals at the sealed beams. If they show signs of overheating or are hot to touch after extended headlamp usage, they require repair/ replacement.
Glad to hear of another Texas slick; this will help made up for the one kidnapped recently by a far-ranging member :P
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul