Kevin's tilt hood and another little project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Kevin's tilt hood and another little project

Post by Uncle Skip »

Kevin, I got the hood kit installed today and I'm stoked. Beautiful man, thank you.
If anyone gets this kit you will not be disappointed I promise, and if I can help you with anything you don't understand please let me know. Its pretty straightforward but it can be a little tricky if you've never done anything like this before. Also, be advised you need to have an extra set of hands when you mount things up. Just saying.

And I'm making an aluminum glove box for my truck. I'll be mounting the Ron Francis fuse block on the bottom of it with industrial velcro so I can take it down if I need to change a fuse.
I'll post another picture in the next day or two of the box installed. Here are photos of the top and bottom. I used an 8-32 nutsert on the bracket that bolts to the firewall that holds up the back edge of the box.
Bottom

Max and Tom.... you two nit pickers.... I didn't have short rivets so I used what I had. I'm getting the short grip ones tomorrow and will drill these out and replace them so save your comments.
Wankers. ;)
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Kevin's tilt hood and another little project

Post by slick4x4 »

""I'll be mounting the Ron Francis fuse block on the bottom of it with industrial velcro so I can take it down if I need to change a fuse.""

That sounds like a heck of a good idea :clap:
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Skip,
I'm glad that it all went well. I hadn't heard anything in a while and I was starting to get worried.
I have the 67-72 kits being cut out right now so i will hae those before too long. Then I have to get a website set up, that should be interesting as computer stupid as I am. :?
You do have a washer on the back side of the upper rod end, don't you. I can't see it in the picture.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Kevin. No to the washer. Its all coming back apart for paint.
I just fitted the hood to make sure everything was in place but when I put the finished product together it will be in there.
My only comment on the parts is that the laser cut parts are to good, they all have "interference" fit. All the holes and slots had to be opened up one drill size larger to fit properly. Other than that, absolutely no complaints.
Thanks buddy. I'm really pleased with your product and will advertise you any chance I get.
Merry Christmas my friend.
And thanks again for a great product.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

These parts are water jet cut. My guess is that is due to their machine. I didn't have a problem with the first batch so maybe his machine needs adjusting.
When this batch is gone, I am going to switch over to a laser cutter. This company is cutting the 67-72 parts and they are more reliable than the water jet cutter is.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Kevin
kstones63
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Here is the hood in the full open position.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Skip, I have that problem fixed. I took everything out of the boxes and drilled or filed the holes so that a bolt will go in everything now. I'm glad that you said something so that I could fix them.

Kevin
kstones63
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Max and Tom.... you two nit pickers.... I didn't have short rivets so I used what I had. I'm getting the short grip ones tomorrow and will drill these out and replace them so save your comments.
Wankers. ;)
Looks good to me as is! I would just get nit picky if you could see them. Besides, you could just nip 'em off so you don't slice your fingers open reaching under there.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Here is the almost completed aluminum glove box insert. I''m planning a padded firewall panel to cover the exposed area, that can be removed to access the wires that will run behind this area.
A little paint thinner to clean up the magic marker and I'm good to go.
I left the top unfinished for the extra room. The dash top acts as the top of the glove box because the sides are contoured to fit.
The fuse block will go on the bottom of this box attached by industrial strength velcro, so I'll take a picture of that when its all finished.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the finished product.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Skip the glove box and hood mount look great. I'm jealous that someone is actually making some progress.... LOL
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Box and hood look killer!
2003 F150 SVT Lightning-"Bonnie"-Mid 12s Daily Driver

1963 F100 SWB Project-"Lacy"-Crown Vic frame swap in the process!
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28059
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Uncle, are you going to line the interior of the glovebox with felt or something similar?, we need to know! :burp:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Alan, yes I'm going to line the glove box.
In fact, I was laying out the fabric today along with another little project and will be using contact cement to hold it all in place.

You all know I'm switching to a flair side box so I wanted something to set it off from everyone else's.
Not only that, but I was looking for a way to protect those sheet metal sides from getting dented, so I took some oak that matches the bed floor and cut some long strips to make me some "bump strips".
They are going to mount about 4" up from the bed floor on the bed sides and front panel.
I shaped them today and will be sanding and putting spar varnish on them the rest of the week so they match the bed floor wood.
There will be one long one on each side and one across the front panel, all mounted with stainless screws and trim washers (from Boat US). I'm also thinking about putting some small stainless U-fittings on the strips for bungee cords to hold things in place IN CASE I ever haul anything back there. I'm hiding the stainless lock nuts inside the fender wells and the space between the cab and bed.
I cut some extra strips to put vertical bumpers on the tailgate but I don't know if I'll actually put those in or not. Might be to much.

Anyway, I'll post pictures later and you can chime in and let me know what you think.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Still shaping and sanding the strips. The bumpers will be about 4" from the top of the floor boards. The floor is on the left side of the picture.
I countersunk the stainless screws for a smooth finish and I put water on the wood today to raise the nap so I can sand it smooth tomorrow and start putting the spar varnish on.