Rust Neutralizing Paints?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

frank66
United States of America

Rust Neutralizing Paints?

Post by frank66 »

Anybody ever use these? How did you like them? How was the application? How has it held up?

I have been cutting out and replacing a lot of rust on my cab. I would like to spray this on the harder to get places that don't need surgery yet. I was looking at the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator in the aerosol cans. If you are a new customer and sign up for their email news letter they will give you a 10% off coupon. Is it worth buying a case of this stuff? Anyone recommend something else?

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator.html
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: Rust Neutralizing Paints?

Post by Hunter's 64 »

the Eastwood product is good, works as stated another good brand http://www.por15.com/
Just read directions , don't get it on you, make sure what you are going to put on top if any thing is compatable with it. :2cents:

Danny
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have used both products - good results.
I started using Magnet Paint most recently.
Seems to work as well, I can get it locally and it's less expensive.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/

I find this product interesting too;

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame- ... ozzle.html

I am going to use some inside the cowl and cab mounts where I can't reach with conventional sprays or brushes.

This frame is painted with the Magnet Paint;

1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
CTom

Post by CTom »

I use the stuff NAPA sells, seems to work well. You will have to paint over all of these products so make sure your paint is compatable with it, most are.
NAPA stuff is brushed on by the way.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Eastwood and POR15 are both great. I hear mixed things about both are now UV protected and no need to top coat but I do not see that anywhere and I know for a fact that the last batches of both were NOT UV protected and needed a top coat. As for the stuff for inside frames and boxing, it works very well and is thick so it coats nicely. I recently used some in a 78 Bronco I am helping a friend restore. I did inside every boxed area of the body and frame and it worked quite well. I tried using the nozzle in rattle can engine enamel (the tip only works on certain cans though but buy a can of it and pull the tip off and you will see what I mean) but the engine enamel doesn't work because it's not thick enough and goes on too thin then starts running.
I would say get whichever product you can get the cheapest... You may be able to get POR15 and those Preval sprayers, and put the POR15 into the preval sprayer, use that to get into areas that are hard to get to and maybe find that tip with the nozzle and hose that Eastwood uses for their product as well and put it on the Preval sprayer with the POR15 in it... Just an idea since those cans of rust encapsulator can get pricey and you will be using a ton of it for the body and frame both.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

If you wanna spray the stuff use a very basic gun.
Something like this should work fine;

http://www.harborfreight.com/household- ... 92841.html

1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I was talking about getting into the boxed areas and making your own POR15 one with a preval sprayer. Like how Eastwood has the spray can with the hose and nozzle to get into boxed frames, etc. Use the eastwood hoze/nozzle setup with POR15 and Preval sprayer.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

I use Eastwood brush on and sometimes in the rattle can
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here