my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Still plugging away as I can.
Installed my front grill for first time in over three years. Wired up and tested using a jumper at the light switch.

I drilled thru the holes in bottom of the core support to allow long bolts to be used instead of captive nuts. I had originally installed the captive nut when I painted the core support.

It was mid afternoon when I took this one. Had to put a shade over the lights to see them. Low beam success.

High beam.

Parking lights tested.

The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Success! I was able to get the rear tail lights, all park lights, hit beam, low beam and turn signal to act right thru the fuse panel from the battery. That took me all weekend!

Question, on a 1967 f100 headlight switch, how does the interior cab light get wired? I thought you turn the knob all the way to the left and it was the on switch for the light. In mine, it’s not working that way. No light change.

Also, third brake light.... what are your thoughts? I am tossing idea of buying one and installing it on the wood headache rack I built. But if I’m gonna do it, I should do it soon cause the paint I ordered to paint the wood will be here this week and cold weather starting on the horizon. Despite it being 80-90 all the last few months.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Especially since you don't have to drill holes in the cab I say add the 3rd brake light. It may save someone rear ending your truck someday. Or add a left and right turn signal/brake light in the round hole at the top of the bed flare.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Had to plug my battery onto the charger. It was dead from all the troubleshooting the other day while I worked on the electrical stuff.

Decided to take a look inside the engine cause I just didn’t want to chance it the way my flywheel had rusted. 8 took the head off, As it was not torqued down fully to spec in the move. Cylinders look great . And since I could see the pistons travel, I marked my damper at TDc for the cylinders. 1&6, 2&5, 3&4. Obviously one is on compression while the other is on exhaust. I marked it so I wasn’t guessing when each was coming up. Remember to read your shop manual regarding your engine! We had a fun talk about timing marks on FB last night when I posted this photo.

Did have question.... the shop manual said to put a sealer on the head gasket. In all the years I’ve done engine work in the CG (gigantic Diesel engines) we never put a sealer in there’s. The weight of the heads never called for it,

Anyway, I have the head sitting back on top of the block for today. I have to go to work and do the business before I can come home to play. Staying late to swim after work today.

Hope I bought the right size fuel line too. Bought 5/16 steel lines and assorted fittings. Plan to get the fuel line ran from tank to engine bay this week. I don’t remember there being a return line though... 1bbl carb. Nothing fancy.

Stay tuned and chime in with the advise i should heed.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

April, regarding the head gasket sealer, that may have been required for a plain steel shim type in the past. I use copper spray gasket adhesive for plain steel shim head gaskets. Modern head gaskets are either graphite coated or MLS (Multi Layered Steel) and neither require a sealer. What type of gasket are you using? I would go by the manufacturer recommended procedure of the head gasket. Everything is looking good!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Hey! Yeah this is multi layered steel. 8m just gonna torque it and try. Need a thermostat housing for my 223... I can’t find mine! :x moving with a project is a terrible idea.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

You are doing great work, April. The truck looks fantastic in the pics. My son-in-law just acquired a '65 long-bed for his son and I spent all day yesterday visiting and "chasing wires" from the front of the truck, under the dash, etc. It was a royal pain to say the least...but I didn't mind. The previous owner had installed a newer 302 with electronic ignition, but had removed, (unhooked) some of the essential wiring. Anyway, we managed to find and get all of the wiring sorted out, lights and horn working. Looking at yours reminds me of how much work it takes to make them nice. Love the grill on yours.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Getting some work done before I lose Saturday to college starting Saturday.

I’ve been working on various things but mostly the engine. Realized I couldn’t find my feeler gages, I had to buy some this morning.

Was able to do the cold preliminary valve lash first this this morning. All valves set to 0.19 as per manual.

Got dark out and I want some snuggles from the pups... I fed them chicken for dinner so they’d love me.

Issue I’m facing tonight was the fan bolts that attach to the water pump don’t work right. Like the threads on the flange of the pump shaft are wrong. Pain in the but since it’s already in the truck and sealed.

Started, clutch, and maybe transmission are the plan for tomorrow.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

SteveCanup wrote:You are doing great work, April. The truck looks fantastic in the pics. My son-in-law just acquired a '65 long-bed for his son and I spent all day yesterday visiting and "chasing wires" from the front of the truck, under the dash, etc. It was a royal pain to say the least...but I didn't mind. The previous owner had installed a newer 302 with electronic ignition, but had removed, (unhooked) some of the essential wiring. Anyway, we managed to find and get all of the wiring sorted out, lights and horn working. Looking at yours reminds me of how much work it takes to make them nice. Love the grill on yours.
Saw the photos on Facebook!
You are right, it is a lot of work to do this. Can’t wait to light the fire and smoke the tires!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Last night I was too tired to post and of course my photos deleted from my phone. :x

I didn’t get very far cause I lose attention span quick. I chopped limbs from trees overhanging my back yard, didn’t mow any but need to. I have a million acorns everywhere!

On the truck, my side steps for the rear bed no longer fit like they did in test. I’m not sure why but I plan to chop them up and build better, they are old and been busted up and I just am done with them. I can weld so I will build new ones later this year. It’s not critical to the truck driving!

Bit of a shopping spree on a few car part sites and amazon. Radiator hose, 2 bolts in a special length, heater control valve for a later model truck, a cable from a bronco to operate the valve, some ther misc items.

I put the stater in place, oil filter (spin on), coil, alternator, found my distributor and just slid it in the spot. Attached the heater hoses to the heater core at the forewall. Put 4 qts oil in the sump and if reads 1/2 on the dipstick :D once it’s primed up the upper gallery I will add a little more. Using straight 30wt shell rotella found in the diesel truck section of my local pep boys.

Took the lower cover off to access the clutch, and I guess I never installed the throw out bearing, cause it wasn’t there, hmmm... must locate this.
Bought some gear oil 80/90wt for the transmission. Would like to get it up in place this week.

Opened the box my fuel pump came in from DC, it had a hole in the top.... I emailed the, about it. The original fuel pump (with glass bottom bulb didn’t have a hole.
Masterguns
United States of America

Post by Masterguns »

Hi April, Your truck is looking great! I know how you feel with all of this, I just fired mine up this weekend (61 unibody), and ran the cam break-in, no better feeling, than to have all your hard work and time pay off. when I was researching what oil to use for a flat tappet engine, I found out that the diesel oils no longer have the zinc additives that we need. I just wanted to make sure you know.

Mark
Semper Fidelis

1961 f100 Unibody BBW
2002 Excursion 7.3 (the bus)
1982 Bronco
2017 F150
2017 Mustang GT/CS
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Made my spacers for the engine mounts. I’ve installed the rear two, but stripped the grade 8 nut for the front when I realized I had no threads left on the grade 8 bolt and it wouldn’t click on torque. A new bolt(shorter) and nut have been purchased.

Need to fit a exhaust flange adapter to my manifold.

Cut the flange off.

Wallowed the holes to fit.

Welded the tube on the flange. Just need a flat gasket now.

Got my radiator hose in too.

Saw a slick at the Yorktown days parade today.

Marched 39 young men and women in the parade.

Start statistics class tomorrow morning. My class advisor ruined the next 8 weekends for me. 4 hours on Saturday morning wasted in a classroom across tow.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Nothing much done to shipwrecked this week honestly.

I made a few hundred bucks off that dodge heater core job so I bought myself a few things I have been waiting on.

It came with a thin plastic tube and I’m not a fan of that so I am going to instal copper tubing.

I have been debating how I am going to instal the radio and gauge pod, it’s gojng to happen but I am not cutting my dash open. I will figure it out. We are beyond a factory correct anything here.

I cleaned up all my tools and garage a bit

A week ago I posted about needing a exhaust adapter for the exhaust manifold. Muffler shop helped with this. I had purchased the flange piece, but they helped fit it so I can bolt on and put on a off the shelf sort of exhaust until I can afford to do a nice one.

SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Coming along great. You will be driving soon!
1964 F-100
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Looking great. Where’d you get the spin on filter and the flange plate from?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Oil filter from NPD.

The flange from oreiley autoparts online.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I got the sensor situation figured out with the help of you guys on FB.

Had to tap the head with the 1/4NPT for the coolant sensor.

Coolant temp sensor and oil sensor installed.

Then realized I couldn’t find my distributor hold down. When I took apart the engines, the distributor was held down by a claw. Well, the box I had distributor stored in was busted out and I lost the claw. But with help from Pat Weller and Richard Freer I just need to put two bolts in there to hold it down.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I want to build a center console in the truck now and kind of thought about using an old tool box or tackle box. Tool boxes are too big. This one was given to me by my old NJ neighbor Bill. Just too long. :cry: so I’m looking around for a tackle box. It will hide my radio and a cup holder and gauges.Image

I had school all day Saturday. Statistics class! I find it fascinating actually.

But by the time I got home it was dark and gloomy so I decided to find something to keep me busy but not sitting on my couch.
Old distributor cap.

New.

Setting in the engine properly

Cables hooked in their place.

So I need to check the vacuum on the diaphragm. It was good when disassembled but it’s been a few years.
Went to NAPA down in central Newport News. On my way down to get a piece of tubing, I had a good chit chat on the phone with Truckrat (Gary) about all kinds of stuff. He said he hadn’t been on much cause all he has is the cell phone to get in on here. Can see the FB easier. I told him I post here often so he got some catching up to do.

Anyway, it’s just past 0600 I’ve had three cups of coffee, pups are cuddled around me like they actually love me, and I’m watching stuff on YouTube.

Today’s plan is the vacuum line to the carb from dizzy.
Also look at this: found my throw out bearing.... ImageImage
gonna order a whole new clutch kit for the truck. I was going to reuse the old one as it looked good, but dang it’s rusted now after sitting three years.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

After last nights chat help, I located a clutch kit with the 10” disc, 1 3/8 diameter 10 spline.

Got the pressure plate and throw out bearing as well.

The other items I completed were torquing down the motor mounts with this homemade spacers in between like it should have.

Found a tool/tackle box at an antique shop for cheap and it fits right in the gap on the center low hump.

With the gauge cluster mounted (it’s yonna get painted eventually), it’s lid clears no problem.

Next two photos of are the flywheel and my starter. The clicking I am hearing is the flywheel touching the starter gear.

If I spin the bendix the starter gear turns to engage.

Is this right? In a dead state it is barely engaged.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Clutch kit came in a couple days ago.

Instead of working on that, I brought this Troy built back to life.

Someone left gasoline in it for a few years.

This vacuum mulched said it could handle acorns but it’s very inefficient. Took a long time to clean my yard. Will bring it back to work tomorrow .