my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by SteveCanup »

Success at last! Looks fantastic! The two colors compliment each other...
1964 F-100
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Looks great! your perseverance is really paying off!!
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Looks great! got a holiday on the dash vent though. dontcha hate it when someone else points that out! :wink:
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Bird- :) I caught it with the second coat of red.

Today my carpet from Stock Interiors came in. Color is "gunmetal grey". Pretty close to the cab I think. The crease is from the fold when in the box. It is in the spare bedroom warming up so it will flatten out.

What you all think of a wooden headliner? I am playing with the idea...in maple since I love maple. Teakwood is too expensive. I am going to borrow a table saw to do this if I actually follow through. I think it would be unique and awesome. Would do one behind the seat too.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I like it. You would have to finish your roof inside though. Another option would be find a gray tweed or something like that to cover the top of the wood runners so you could fill in the gaps before you did the final install. Easy to staple it to the top of the wood.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

I Like the Idea too and also Steve suggestion about putting grey material on the backside.
Also Noticed that the Dogs Like the new Carpet for the truck and are inspecting it closely. :shock:
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Here's to 4 years on the site... 4 years owning the truck, and two years of working on fixing it up.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I've looked several places even though I'm new to the site, trying to find a current post by April. I sure hope and pray remission still exists. I admire people like that, so I'm leaving this for April to read, or maybe it will even be an encouragement to others.

Hi:
I like your truck even from way back when. I've got a 64 SB, I've had for 31 years. I was going to follow your build, then I read about your cancer, not a good thing.
Thanks for keeping enough fight and determination in you to overcome it. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that God saved you from that, just like he did me. But, I also believe it has a lot to do with a person's mindset on the situation too. I was the same way.
On (believe it or NOT) APRIL 1st, 1983 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Desease. Long story short, I had a lot of tests, several surgeries, including my Spleen removed, 66 HEAVY doses of radiation, threw up for 98 consecutive days, lost down to 122 pounds and almost died. BUT, like you I somehow knew it wasn't to be my end. God had something for me to do and He wasn't about to let me go. The stint of death never crossed my mind, all that was on my mind was...Okay fix me so I can get back to work.
I can't deny that God sent great Dr's my way, and several miracles, but God is the one who saved me from what could have easily become fatal.

Your mindset in the whole deal played a huge part in the results you were blessed with. Don't forget that it was also God who gave us both the fight, determination, and mindset that we needed. I'm glad he kept you around.

My Dr. (at one of my annual cancer checkups) once told me that Hodgkins patients usually get it a 2nd time in 3-5 years and it's usually fatal the 2nd time. I went for my annual checkup Monday Dec. 19th 2016. This was my 33 year checkup. GOD is good. Rick.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Oldsmiley,

Welcome to the build. Yeah remission is a fantastic thing and my doctors also said it would be fatal the second round due to the amount of damage I had, though they did a fantastic job in surgery to remove it all. All the people who were in the hospital the same time as me for the same cancer are all gone now. It is what it is.I am approaching 4 years of remission in just a month and feel good. Thought I know a few people in the CG who have had similar cancer as I did and now have brain tumors. I worry every time I get a migraine type headache or the crud. But here's the deal,,, I'm working hard everyday- I could die in a car crash tomorrow so I just live day to day.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

It as 50 degrees today. So of course I had to stand in the freezing water all day while I wet sanded the cab to 1000. I got most of it done, but stopped when it got dark out. I still need to finish sanding the dash and behind the seat sails.

I blew thru a few spots on the door jam but I have to do a touch up there anyway since the tape put a hard line in. Inexperience on my part.

Anyway that's what I did all day. Working on my seat here in the living room. I will pay a pro to do the upholstery later when it's driving... it's not necessary to have the exact seat upholstery I want. I don't want to mess up what I bought. I went to Joann fabric and bought everything on sale! 50% off the foam, 40% off the fabric stuff.. it pays to use coupons. Otherwise it would have been $300, and I paid about $120.0
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

This evening while sitting inside the nice warm house I decided to upholstery my bench seat for under $200.00. I don't want to spent any more money on an upholstery shop this hear... it can wait till next year after I drive it. The truck needs brakes, fuel lines, wood for the bed deck,, tires and a few million other things. Seat is needed but I paid way less doing it this way. A wrote up in hints and tricks section.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I hung the doors. Drilling those alignment holes back when it was on the cart worked like a charm. I hung the doors (by myself) in less than 10 minutes for the both of them.

My upper lines were off slightly.

I burned thru the clear on the kick panel so I will reprint that one. Oh well. I have a few touch up here and there that need to be done. It would take a days work.

Windshield installation week of 16th.

I'm one step closer to vroom vroom.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I like the color choice and pattern of that seat material. That should go pretty well with you paint colors. Your build brings back some 30 year old memories of me having to push my 56 F-100 in and out. I got SO tired of that. The day that I was able to drive it out, and drive it back in, was just another nudge of umph... to finish it. Can't wait til you get there.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

You've crested the hill! Looking great. A case a beer, a couple friends and you'll be driving in a week! Oh, yeah the last time I tried that approach it took even longer...
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Congrats Kid! Along way here from page 1. Way to stay the course!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent my early morning yesterday before work trying to clean windows. The windows all had overspray from the P.O. Spraying that primer on the truck.

I used a razor blade and scraped all the Jurassic bug carcasses off the windows and the overspray. After I got the big junk off, I used 0000 steel wool to scrub the window.

This revealed some scratches hidden under the grime, and some rock chips. It's tolerable at this point cause I don't have time to get new windows. I can always do it at a later date once I get it driving. But for now, these will do!

Also. Got to find the rubber or what ever it is that holds the window in the lift channel. I have new lift channels but don't have the rubber for it. D.C. Didn't list it on their page is why I didn't know about it. Now on hold with the windows.

Next quick project will be to shine the chrome trim around the window. The PO had taken a sander to part of it and roughed the surface in spots with 80 grit. I will just hand sand all the anodizing off and bring it to a shine. That's the project for a shitty weather day. Possible snow tomorrow and Saturday. I have wet sanding and touch up paint to do in the cab but the weather will be nicer (and warmer) next week, if I have time this weekend then I may crank the heaters and shoot paint. If not, the shine the dull trim.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

April...check with your local glass shop. My rubber piece on one of my lift channels was shot and they gave me (free of charge) a partial tube of special black caulk that they used for that purpose. He told me to just squirt it into the channel and insert my glass and let it set up for awhile. It worked great. They might also have the rubber in a cut to fit size also.
1964 F-100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Any update on the steering wheel repairs you epoxied? I'm interested in seeing the finished product.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

orangeRcode wrote:Any update on the steering wheel repairs you epoxied? I'm interested in seeing the finished product.
Yeah it hardened up nicely! I need to sit still for a hot minute and sand it. Will get to that this weekend!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Your over the hill now and it will start going faster for you. I love the part after all the paint and body works is done, all the parts are cleaned, repaired or new. To me the greatest thrill of the job is the final build up of all new or fresh parts. It goes real fast too. Just pick up a part and start putting it on. I am getting excited for you and wanting to see the finished product. You go gurl.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.