my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

went to the cruise in at the local church on
Saturday/Image

Took the truck for a bunch of little trips around town. you can see the steering wheel is cocked to the left-

Took it to Ford to do the alignment. nice and straight now.

Best it will be without bending up the straight axle.

Nice and tight now.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

I spent some money (not spent on port calls in Australia or Fiji etc) on the speedway disc brake set up. I originally didnt intend to do this mod, but after driving around town a bit, people here are stupid and i had to slam on my brakes a few times to avoid a collision. Put stick shift and drum brakes back on every car and we wouldnt be having texting and driving or people riding your bumper as much.
I bought the front disc brakes, a 9" rear bolt on set, a booster and a 1 1/8 bore dual master cylinder.

Anyway,
I started the other day, and ran into a few problems, but were solved with a little time and a few dollars.

removed old front brakes and backing plate.
Installed the bolt on bracket. Had to enlarge the spindle bolt holes ever so much with a drill bit. It even says to do this in the instructions.

Use the long bolts in the bottom two holes, and shorter bolts in the top. be sure to put the spacers in.

The kit supplied the outter race that needed to be replaced. the one already installed needs to be popped out and replaced. (instructions also state this)

my original 15" innie wheels do not fit over the hub. I had to add a spacer and added longer studs. the studs I put on i got from Summit. 1/2x20x3" with a .625 knurl. The local parts houses are stuck on "what vehicle is this on" and don't understand. Just save yourself the hassle and buy it online.

Caliper has a nub in the casting that has to be ground off to clear the spindle bolt that holds the bracket on.

Once you mount the caliper, you need to check movement, and adjust the stopper bolt.

mine is seized and I had to hit it with a torch, a bunch of wrenches and hammer it. F- its feelings!
adjusted

everything clears.

mounted tire, and with longer studs and spacer, it still clears the hub cap.

Repeat on the other side.

Hook up the brake hoses. I am working on the rear now.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63