my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent the week just piddling around the yard, garage, and house. Spending time with my pup Diesel Dawg and will be meeting another little pup named Max on Sunday. I also spent last night getting a new tattoo. Getting the rest of my left arm sleeve drawn up too. Every time my mom sees I got a new tattoo- or honestly any time she talks to me- she sings this to me...

Anyway- on to the truck progress.... (photo bucket is down for maintenance- post pics later)
I brought my connecting rods down to the machine shop. They had flooded due to winter storm Jonah- but not horrible. He was able to get the crank off the lower shelf and my block was in the hot tank so it was safe from the salt water. He needed my connecting rods to do some work on the block, and will do what he can to recondition them. I am in search of some bolts for the con rod caps.

I dropped my transmission off at an old time mechanic/transmission shop. I don't need it in a hurry- so that was easy enough for him to take it on. He will replace the syncros if they need it. I didn't have any issues with the transmission prior to dropping it out, but I want to be sure it is all good to go.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I purchased the step trim from Kevin Stone, and it is a great fit. I know I am a long way away from this point of installation, but stocking up on parts as I find them is sort of how I roll.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Trims look great!

I also do as you do, stocking up as I find things. It's a great feeling when you put those on for good, cause the carpet will be in and you'll be real close to the whole thing being finished!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I do the same thing, but with four trucks its hard to remember if and where things are, or have already been used.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Those trim pieces look great you got from Kevin. Want some of my own for
my 64. Also his tilt hood kit. Lovin that ''Tatoo'd Lady Video'' April. TR
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

found a inside bed spare tire holder-Image

The rebuilt rocker assembly came in as well- A big shout out thank you to 62Bigwindow for hooking me up with this sweet score.Image This is what I had and didn't want to waste time or money rebuilding.
ImageI took some of my photos and got them printed... I still need to find three more vertical ones to finish this off.Image

This weekend is filled with puppy problems and no time or money. Will be out working in the garage to clean up when I get a chance. Slow progress is still progress.

Oh and my three year cancer free day is 7FEB.
Last edited by shipwrecked on February 13, 2016, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

At least you are moving along....it's hard to do anything in the winter months, especially without a garage to work in. Mine is not big enough to pull my truck into and have room to move around....:p
1964 F-100
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

Thanks for the update on your truck, looking good! Lidia is one of my favorites from the Groucho Marx collection. Are you going to be able to be at Slick Stock so we can sing Lidia for you? Bring your Mom, she will fit right in with us crazies... woohoo.gif
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Casey 65 wrote:Are you going to be able to be at Slick Stock so we can sing Lidia for you?
HAHAHAH I am hopeful that I could get time off, but not expecting to. I am taking next week off due to it being a "no-ship week" meaning no recruits are coming. I am now working in a spot in the training center that requires me to be there when ever a recruit company is due to arrive (like this week).

In about 14 months I am due to transfer from here again to a new location. That is not a lot of time for me to get my truck in better condition so I can get it to my new house.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Going to take a road trip this week out to Tennessee and pick up this flare side bed on Wednesday.Image

After three years of owning my "wrong bed" I have always wanted a flareside for it. I am picking this one up and will part out the wrongbed pieces. I just can't seem to get the ambition to work on that bed even though I have parts for it. One of the fenders has some bondo in it for sure- not sure of the rest of the condition. Will find that out when I get in front of it, and get it home to the garage.

Thankfully it has both the steps.

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Last night while watching tv, i was messing around with my coloring books and drew up this. i certainly am not an artist! i want to two-tone with dark grey and a light grey. not too much red as this drawing shows. My grey markers died and I had to fill in the blanks.. :)
ImageToday I spent the day in a freezing garage! It started snowing around 0300 and was supposed to stop at noon. It didn't stop till 1600!
Anyway, I will be headed out on a road trip in a couple days and wanted to get the wrong bed in some better stable condition. I welded the cross braces back on and started with the forward bulkhead. Image

I ran out of wire so I had to stop. That's when I got going on a wooden push cart.Image
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

better drawing of my truck colors i want to do

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grump

Post by grump »

Looks really good April, I've been trying to figure out how to two tone my 66 flare side for awhile and after seeing your ideas I've been looking at it all wrong. I think I've been looking at using the wrong body lines. Yours looks good.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I scooted over to TN yesterday and met the guy I bought the bed from. Nice guy! His "pappy" had his 64- plain jane style which is red. The original bed on his truck was a styleside but his uncle decided to pull that(kept it!) and put on the flareside. Anyway, the styleside went back on his truck and the flareside out on the blocks for sale.
They say that a sucker is born every second and I may be that sucker in this particular situation because of the cost of this expedition. I drove 1297 miles, used a ton of gas, a full 24 hours of leave(vacation time), rented a trailer, and bought a rusted truck bed. The thing is though, for what I put down in total on the trip plus paying to have my dog walkers take care of Diesel Dawg for a day, I think it will be worth it. I have a truck bed with true history of being used, and not a thin expensive after market flareside I would have to modify to fit on my truck despite being "made for it".

After I drove the 645 miles out there, that is when Uhaul decided to change my reservation of a trailer and make it a motorcycle trailer instead of the one I asked for. We tried a couple things to get the bed inside the trailer safely- since I had to drive another 600+ Miles out of there with that thing strapped to the trailer. We came up with this redneck chariot.Image

I seriously drove through the night. What I hate about rest areas when you are pulling a trailer is that there is no where to park. The truckers are mandated to take their breaks, sleep and be on reset at certain times so they have to be there. The States just haven't kept up with the demands. I would pull into a hotel and get the "try this room you'd normally pay 98.00 for but for tonight you can have it for 300!" no thanks! I would try that 4 times before I said screw that! I was already back in Mary-Land by the time I found a spot to park at the service location. Which is only 200 miles from home.
I got home, walked my Diesel Dawg and went to take a nap for two hours before he was wide awake talking to the squirrels and passing trespassers on the street. (his street!)

Got home with this on the clock.Image

In this morning daylight I took a look at the bed again and so far, the worst of it appears to be the driver side rear portion of the fender. that is some body work my 86 year old neighbor would do! He would pop rivet some sort of tin metal into the hole and plaster over it with bondo and call it a great repair. That is what they did in his younger days and you can see by this that is probably what they did in it's lifeImage

Truck bed came with a tailgate and lights as well. The tailgate is slightly bent, but they all are!Image
The bed boards do not appear to have been replaced at some point. They aren't rotten- though I am not going to use them- they are going to be good for something in the remainder of their lifespan.Image

Anyway- now to figure out how to get the bed out of the trailer without busting it. The bolts holding everything together are rusted and just spinning. I was thinking of just putting the bed on the truck frame, pulling the cab and starting on that! I have about 12 months to do something with this truck before I am due to be transferring again. Decisions decisions.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Tin runs always make good stories. The bed does not look too bad. The place you usually find rust is in the front of the fenders where they bolt to the running boards or step plate. You should be able to find a fender with a good lower back section or a complete replacement. While the beds may not all be identical 53-79, I think the fenders are. Dennis Carpenter also reproduces them in good heavy gauge steel.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Today wasn't much on the truck bed, but I did do yard clean-up and garage clean-up. I sold the wrong bed (picking up on sunday), but decided today was the day to get the rest of my scrap pile down to the scrapper. I took 580 pounds down there, and got $18.00 in return. Yard is pretty cleaned up now, just gotta wait for that bed to be picked up. Returned the trailer and now I am debating how to take that flareside apart.
Selling that wrong bed is going to pay for the flareside getting media blasted.

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Wrong bed ready to go to the new owner.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Image Every single caraige bolt was rusted and stuck. They spun in place. Took a cut off blade to the head of the bolts and cut a flat spot in there to allow for a vise grip to hold on. Was able to remove all the bolts pretty quickly when I did that.Image

I am going to go down and talk to my local media blaster and see if he can squeeze my truck bed in to his schedule soon. I think I will leave it assembled, but need to do the rust repair prior to him media blasting it. There of course will be tell tale signs of rust once he finishes. But I am sure I can get the big stuff replaced first.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Guy came to pick up the wrong bed, and it was an adventure. I ended up giving him two pallets and some 2x4's to hold the bed up above the rails of his trailer. He pulls up in a small stick shift Fiat. :)
Guess he owns a half dozen vehicles and a few of those are fridges. Image

Got the spot weld cutter out and took off the bed extension pieces. those are the four panels that stick down below the bed side panel to fill the gap on the fender to bed. I can order those replacements from NPD. I also filled 4 un-used bolt holes on the head board.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Still watching....you're moving it along nicely.
1964 F-100