In need of a trailer hitch.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Limestone66
United States of America

In need of a trailer hitch.

Post by Limestone66 »

Alrighty guys. Limestone{my slick} is in need of a good trailer hitch, class III/IV 5000 GTW /w a 500LB TW. I've seen several out there between 'Drawtite, Reese, Hidden hitch and Curt. Prices seem to hover between 167 bucks upwards to 250 bucks. I personally like the Curt models that i've been looking at, but wanted to hear from any of our members on what they prefer. The bumper on Limestone doesnt look original compared to some of the other slicks i've seen, though it does look pretty good and strong. Bottom of my bumper is almost at six inches from bottom of frame.

Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1966 Ford F250 Custom Cab {Longbox}
1996 Toyota Camry {Wifes ride}
1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}
1975 Harley Davidson XLH {Groundpounder}
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe {Nostalgia} Almost home 'girl'

In memory of Donald G. Roswell- My freind and 'brother'.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: In need of a trailer hitch.

Post by Toyz »

Amazon.com has Reese hitches starting around $140.00. That's about the cheapest I've encountered. I personally like the Reese, if for no particular reason other than pricing. I put a Curt from Amazon on the '07 F150 because it was considerably cheaper than the competition.
That bumper drop may constitute a problem; you will need to check how much drop the hitch will clear. Notching and welding or bracketing would solve that potential problem.I have also spaced one of my 3/4 ton's hitch about an inch downward to clear a "cowboy" bumper. It works well since I use height adjustable stingers.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I weld and fabricate, so i buiilt my own
If that is something that you, or a buddy could do
I would go for it.... Or find a welding shop & get a bid
I'm thinking you could make one much stronger that a bought one... :2cents:
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i used this one from another truck i had , its welded into the bumper. i cut ,bent and welded the area marked so the license plate can be seen.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

I would check the local bone yard. My friend who has a wrecking yard usually has a stack of them. A tape measure and some time and I bet you could save a bunch. Thats what I will do this summer but I have to do some cutting and fabbing. Mine will be behind the roll pan and use a drop down lic plate to cover the hole when I'm not using it.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

a quick hint. chevys up to 87 have the same frame width. the one i bought (acme) was a chevy part number and i only had to drill two holes. the others lined up with my existing frame holes (this was on a 68 f100).
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Havent measured the frame rails but i think it was supposed to be round 34 in., and chevy did figure into the same part number thru Reese and Drawtite. I hafta clear about 5-1/2 in to make it work for me without going to one that will clear a dropped bumper, ie 10 inches. Be too low under my existing bumper. Reese and Drawtite both have hitches that fall just about where it needs to be at. Again-5 1/2 inches. May hafta add a few spacers but i beleive it'll workout just fine. Thanks guys for the input.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}

samdog1966

Post by samdog1966 »

I installed a new Curt that I got from Steve (F7BIGJOB) on my F100 swb. Easy install. I did have to drill a couple holes. Looks and works good. I use it to pull a small pop-up camper.
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

My delemma with the trailer hitch, has changed. {At least for the time being} Gonna weld me a step onto the rear bumper that will also serve as a light duty hitch so i can at least pull my single axle trailer i bought for the bikes. This bright idea is gonna cost me around $130 bucks. Went to a local welding shop and they want a flat $100 bucks just to weld a 2ft by 6in peice of 1/4 in steel to my bumper. And thats with me buying the steel. F.T {That aint gonna happen}. Became disillusioned. Not to mention frustrated on what i need to do. Everything just seems so expensive and out of reach on what meager funds that i have available. 2012 has been a rough year for us, as both of our trucks took a nose dive right after i bought my slick {Limestone} So w/o getting off subject, i still need me a hitch. I know what i want and i know what i gotta do, cuz 'time' is runnin out on this end, which ultimatly leads to another discussion in the 'Off Subject' department. I'll leave this topic open until i find closure. Suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for the input...........................
'Ron'
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Have you check with a pick a part type place near you? Many if not most of the "dealer installed" rear bumpers had a hitch plate made into the bumper. You might be able to find one at a reasonable price there.
Just a suggestion.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Harbor Freight carries a bolt-on "receiver" hitch for around $30.00. Drill 2-4 holes in the bottom of your bumper, add a 2" square "stinger" and you're in business for LD towing. Later, you can weld a crossmember from frame rail to rail to intersect the back side of the receiver. This would result in a hitch capable of Class 3 towing if made of substantial material. Hitch height with a straight "stinger" should be very close to that of a step bumper setup. If it proves to be too low, offset or adjustable stingers are readily available.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

No i havent as of late 'Grits', but i have thought about it. You never know what you can drag up at a boneyard. 'Ras' had the same idea which sounds good as there are several boneyards around these parts nearby, just hafta get off my ass and look around. 'Toyz' also has a good idea with Harbour Freight, bought one of those bolt-on receivers and never used it. Tried to find it in my shop and never could find it. Jumped on CL and found several that i could at least modify for under $50 bucks, one was homemade and strong looking according to the pics. Called the guy up and he still has it, as well as another one that is still on an old Dodge pickup that wasnt posted. Gave him my E-mail address and hes gonna send the measurements on both of his hitches. Helluva nice older feller. Something may come up over this, gonna wait and see.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Are there no members close to you with the tools and equipment that would help a member out? I'm not close, otherwise I would volunteer.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Robert {rwhistles} lives about 15 miles North of me and hes a member. He paved the way for me to be a member, and if he was reading this post he'd prolly chew my ass out for not calling him in the first place, but caint hep it, not my way.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

Back in the day I built one out of scrap stock I got at the local recyclers. I took the stinger wrapped it with alum foil a couple times and welded two pieces of steel and then a plate on top which bolted to the bumper. Worked good for a small trailer. Would NOT recommend for anything larger......mother of necessity stuff.
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

ras4434 wrote:Back in the day I built one out of scrap stock I got at the local recyclers. I took the stinger wrapped it with alum foil a couple times and welded two pieces of steel and then a plate on top which bolted to the bumper. Worked good for a small trailer. Would NOT recommend for anything larger......mother of necessity stuff.
Back in a day? 'Y.D.R'!-The experience you get from yer own engunuity. Gonna jump on my Hawg and ride over into Lakeland this weekend and visit Harbour Freight, see if i caint get something going, unless this guy gets back with me with those crucial measurements. Gonna be moving in about 2 weeks, be a big step for me and my woman as weza giving the old homestead to our kids. Time to move on and downsize into a much smaller place, thats why i need something going on for Limestone. That old girl has been our main mode of transportation along with my Deluxe since i bought her, and she deserves a good trailer hitch.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

ezernut9mm wrote:a quick hint. chevys up to 87 have the same frame width.
I gave my dad a spare generic step bumper off a dent side truck I had, as his 91 Silverado's chrome step bumper had rusted to the point of uselessness. He said he had to drill a couple holes but bolted up pretty easy after that.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If you are not in a big hurry, LKQ, if one is nearby, will probably have a half-price sale for Easter weekend. That puts bumpers/ receiver hitches fairly inexpensive, and, as Ezer stated, all you really need is ~ 34"-plus mounting width with sufficent drop.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Do these hitches mentioned above (reece etc) work with the styleside bumper?

I've always wondered if you can weld a piece of stock steel between the two styleside bumper brackets and beef up the bolts that hold the brackets to the frame rails?
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

The only problem i see with running a Reese, Drawtite, or a Curt, would be not having adequate clearance for the spare tire rack under the bed. These hitches w/o going to a drop down hitch has about 5, or s1/2 in. drop to clear a standard styleside bumper. I'm relying on customer reviews for my information, heck, all i can do is measure and go from there, because i dont even have the factory bumper on my slick. Besides necessary clearance is not even an issue with me cuz ima gonna have my spare on an inside bed mount.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........