Anyone try making their own underhood information stickers?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Anyone try making their own underhood information stickers?

Post by dotcentral »

I am trying to wrap up a 5.0 swap into my non-slick 71. I have eliminated the smog pump, and the A/C. Hope to add the A/C back in the spring. My serpentine belt routing will have to be revised as a result, and got to thinking it my be nice to have the routing of the belt posted underhood somewhere. In case someone else ever would need to replace it. I was thinking about trying to make a sticker or decal showing the new belt routing and listing the belt size for easy reference. Anyone ever try to make their own info decals like Ford and all the other manufacturers did/do? Wondering if their is a good type of paper or sticker material to use that will hold up over time.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Blackwaterforge

Re: Anyone try making their own underhood information sticke

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I am afraid mine would look like the title too Johnny Cash's car that he got one piece at a time!
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

I would scan in or find an online picture of one of the factory decals. Then edit the diagram in photoshop or paint. Then I would upload it on one of the thousands of custom vinal sticker companies online and have them print and send them to you.

I think if you edited the factory sticker graphic you could get a very nice almost factory looking sticker. the only question would be if there is any copyright infringment. On one sticker though i would not worry about it.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

That's a cool idea. I might have to think about that... 8)
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

just take a sharpie and write "good luck" on the top of the core support. lol.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I keep a small journal with part numbers and notes that if anyone ever gets my truck, they'll know what replacement parts they'll need including the components for my disk brakes, V-belts, radiator hoses and the like. I'm also recording the new wiring schematic I made. I'll keep it at home with the title, but if I ever sell it or will it to one of my kids, the new owner will have as much information as I can provide.
I do not ever want to be referred to as the "PO".
:D
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

bcook07 wrote:I think if you edited the factory sticker graphic you could get a very nice almost factory looking sticker. the only question would be if there is any copyright infringment. On one sticker though i would not worry about it.
I thought I'd try and do something that looked like it could be "factory", but without the Ford logo, references, etc. Not trying to pass it off as a resto, phantom, etc.

I hadn't thought about it, but you are right, those are a vinyl like product. I might see if I can buy some sheets of that or use regular paper and either laminate it and glue that down.
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

Cant you buy an oem or repop?

You could get a a/c delete 5.0 Mustang.

What did you do about the waterpump rotation?

I would have left the compressor and let it freewheel myself, less work if you or someone else ever wants to put a/c back in.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

bmcgc wrote:Cant you buy an oem or repop?

You could get a a/c delete 5.0 Mustang.

What did you do about the waterpump rotation?

I would have left the compressor and let it freewheel myself, less work if you or someone else ever wants to put a/c back in.
I have deleted the smog pump as well. Ford probably didn't make a belt routing sticker showing that one. Keeping the same water pump rotation. The A/C was on the driver side, smog pump on the passenger side. I want the A/C compressor on the passenger so the engine bay is less cluttered. That will require some modifications as my compressor doesn't fit into the smog pump bracket as is.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Same problem on my 5.0 Cyclone; if you find a workable bracket LMK! I could use the smog bracket as a pattern, but I would prefer a lower mounting position so I can hide the hoses. The old Shelby Mustang dual-Paxton bracket could be modified for the mid-nineties compressor, but it's not one that I would wish to cut up!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul