Steering wheel swap

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

Steering wheel swap

Post by unibody madness »

I decided to put this in this section as well as my build

Now that I have the ‘Turk” body back on the frame, I started doing all the fitting of parts and pieces that could only be done once it was all together.

A long time ago, before I even owned the Turk, I was running around willy nilly, searching for all kind of parts for the build of all builds. One of the things I bought was a four spoke steering wheel to put into the long bed, not knowing there was a size difference between the three and four spoke wheels. Along the way, I also found there is a difference between the years and models in terms of the inner workings of the steering hubs, horn and turn signal setups. I ended up cleaning up a three spoke instead.
I never stopped thinking of the four spoke and bartered for a section of column from a wrecking yard in Oregon.
All parts in hand, I began to cut and paste to get the parts to fit. The shaft bearing and tapper lock were the same.

For my purposes, I am dealing with a 1961 Unibody with floor mounted shifter. The steering hub has CODF-3511-AW, cast into the metal below where the turn signal switch screws in.

Large wheel bezel separated from column and trimmed to fit around original column head
Turn signal shaft access hole drilled and filed. Shifter bump hammered to match profile

Horn inner contact ring removed from original wheel and added to four spoke wheel

Mocked up

Trial fit before turn signal hole drilled and filed

All I need now is to find the nylon encased horn wire to the original hub, and the big wheel through-spring to get the horn to work.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Steering wheel swap

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

John 2 things
the nylon piece is separate from the wire
you should be able to use the same spring for either horn ring , not sure if i still have any or sent them off to Chris
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Brian,
Its been awhile since I have seen one but the lower horn, nylon and wire has a spring correct?
As far as the upper spring I have a new one from dennis carpenter and it will fit my three spoke but the hole in the four spoke is way larger, maybe I am missing a plastic bushing?
If you do happen to have parts that will help, send along the new addy and a price, I would appreciate it. also if you happen to have the bearing portion of the steering bezel like the one posted I need one for another truck.
John
Turk build thread at:

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

John
heres the 4 spoke button, the horn ring is the same.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4806&p=41903#p41903

the removable nylon piece keeps the spring and wire from grounding out
the spring and wire are not the same for the 3 and 4 spoke wheels.

i will look and see what i have left

i threw all of the columns and gearboxes i had on my friends pile of that type stuff up in Alaska.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Brian,
I have a hard time describing what I need without pictures.
The four spoke came with a horn ring, and I do not see any nylon or plastic on it, So I would indeed need to see pictures of it.

The wire I was asking about is separate and goes through the column to a four speed column head for the 61 three spoke wheel.
It dead ends at a nylon block about 1/4"x 1" by 5/16ths@. It is machine screwed to the column head just under the ford logo on the turn signal ring, in my sixth picture, it should have some kind of spring and a brass pin that makes contact with the bottom ring I screwed to the bottom of the four spoke in picture nine.
There is also a brass wire/spring/contact that goes through the four spoke steering wheel and makes contact with the horn button or ring that is larger than the one I have for the three spoke wheel.
Thanks for putting up with this. The only ones I have are on the two trucks 150 miles away so pics are out of the question, for the short term.
John
John
Turk build thread at:

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

John/Brian, I'll shoot some pics to post when I get out to the shop; that may be as late as Thursday evening. The four spoke does appear to have a different setup, but my loaned out parts manual has not returned, so I can't verify what may interchange.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Toyz,
I really would appreciate that. Searching lmc and dennis carpenter shows a larger spring contact for the four spoke steering wheel, but no luck on the three spoke horn wire with the nylon block that runs up the column to the column head.
Turk build thread at:

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

unibody madness wrote:Brian,
I have a hard time describing what I need without pictures.
The four spoke came with a horn ring, and I do not see any nylon or plastic on it, So I would indeed need to see pictures of it.

The wire I was asking about is separate and goes through the column to a four speed column head for the 61 three spoke wheel.
It dead ends at a nylon block about 1/4"x 1" by 5/16ths@. It is machine screwed to the column head just under the ford logo on the turn signal ring, in my sixth picture, it should have some kind of spring and a brass pin that makes contact with the bottom ring I screwed to the bottom of the four spoke in picture nine.
There is also a brass wire/spring/contact that goes through the four spoke steering wheel and makes contact with the horn button or ring that is larger than the one I have for the three spoke wheel.
Thanks for putting up with this. The only ones I have are on the two trucks 150 miles away so pics are out of the question, for the short term.
John
John
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9543

1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Brian.
It sucks getting old
I actually remember that post now. The pics however did not show on my tab, I will try again when I get home.
Thanks
John
Turk build thread at:

unibody madness
United States of America

Just got home to a real computer and YES that is the part I am looking for. I can't find it referenced anywhere. So Brian, or anyone else for that mater that has one or knows where to get one please let me know.
As far as the four spoke button, D.Carpenter one listed that I think I need for the conversion, I will keep looking until a bigger order builds up.
Many thanks for all the help
John
Turk build thread at:

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

John that part is only on the 61-62 f100 and f250 2wd trucks.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:John that part is only on the 61-62 f100 and f250 2wd trucks.

Brian, if that is the one for the 4 speed uni's, I should have one for John. It is also a 61/62 Falcon/Comet application, so I suspect it is common to the three speed column shift also.
Again, that particular Motorcraft parts manual seems to have sprung legs, so I can't verify.John, I'll try to find the switch in the morning.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

both 3 or 4 speed 61 and 62 (uni or not does not matter but f100 or f250 2wd only)
never took apart an 61-62 auto trans column so i dont know on those
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The t.s. switch and plate numbers are the same; I haven't yet found a number for the specific part, since I'm not really sure of the official name, but I believe they are also the same. This switch p/n also crosses over to 62/64 Fairlanes without the 4 speed, although I just don't believe that info to be correct.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Turk build thread at:

Effie

Post by Effie »

omg... I have one of those 4 spoke wheels! Haha... I found it on CL and snatched it up for like $40. When he handed it to me, I was like, "holy cow, this thing is HEAVY." Then I posted on the FB group and found out that it's so different, different column 250 4x4 blah blah blah and thought... bleh, too much trouble. I was gonna try to sell the thing, but hell, maybe I'll hold on to it. It's actually in better shape with a nice shiny horn ring than my steering wheel now - after I fixed the cracks and painted it.

I wanna know what kinda difference it makes as far as having a larger circumference...being so much bigger than my stock wheel now.
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Effie wrote:I wanna know what kinda difference it makes as far as having a larger circumference...being so much bigger than my stock wheel now.
will be like using a cheater pipe on a ratchet, easier to turn the wheel. if you dont have power steering it will be like poor mans p.s. :lol:
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I can't imagine turning my F350 wrecker with the smaller wheel! It's a real pain as is; 'course, it doesn't help that there is a frictional drag between the substantial wheel and my equally substantial gut :cry:

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Effie

Post by Effie »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:will be like using a cheater pipe on a ratchet, easier to turn the wheel. if you dont have power steering it will be like poor mans p.s. :lol:
Yeah, I get that....which actually is better for me, I could use a poor man's power steering...because I refuse to put PS on my truck. I'm talking about in relation to comfortable space between me and the wheel when I'm sitting in the seat.
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

unibody madness
United States of America

Effie,
In mine, I moved the steering column in two directions, and I have no seat at the moment so I won't know for awhile.
The wheel itself is the same depth 6 3/4", and the four spoke appears to only be one inch bigger in diameter so it should only be 1/2" closer to your legs and no nearer your midsection, if you do not move your steering column.
John
Turk build thread at: