Nicks 63 Uni

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Nicks 63 Uni

Post by kstones63 »

My son just purchased this 63 F100 long bed unibody. We found it in California so it is in pretty good condition. It has the usual bad spots, a couple of small rust bubbles where the torque box meets the outside of the bed, some rust in the floor boards but not bad. It has some rust in the roof at the driprails but it can all be fixed. The cab mounts appear to be in good shape along with the torque box. The bed floor is in very good shape and the wheel house are almost perfect. I forgot to take a pic of the bed.
The grill and the bumper are in good condition and the old hood hinges even work well so keep your ears open if anybody is looking for good hood hinges, they will be going away. :)
This truck even has a tailgate. It has rust in it but it is repairable.
It has a 292 engine with a three on the tree. The guy claims that the engine has been rebuilt but the battery was dead so we couldn't start it. He claims that he had it running off of jumper cables and starter fluid a couple of weeks ago.
It has some kind of power brake booster added to it. I would assume that is a dealer add on or aftermarket.
IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u254/stonezones63/Nicks%2063%20F100/IMG_1528_zpse58df589.jpg[/IMG]
I don't know exactly what his plans are but I know that he wants to lower the truck. I'm thinking Jag or CV, not sure which yet. He wants to change the engine but he's not sure to what.
He claims that he wants to make it nicer than my truck but if I'm in control, I can make sure that it doesn't happen. :oops: did I actually say that.
That's it for now. He will be signing up to the website if he's ever home long enough to sign up. He's in West Palm Beach, Florida right now and then off to Michigan and then who knows where after that.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
62bigwindow
United States of America

Re: Nicks 63 Uni

Post by 62bigwindow »

Nice truck to start with.I am sure if you have a hand in the build it will be top notch.But not as nice as yours :wink:
Every day above ground is a good one
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Well we might be finally getting ready to start on this project. We aquired this for the suspension.
87 Jag XJ6
Now I have to get this Jag taken apart and get rid of the rest of it so we can get started on the truck.
It looks like Nick might be home in a couple of weeks for a little while so maybe we can something started on the truck.

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Alright!,
Gonna transfer the Leaper to the truck also? :lol:
Engine choice?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Toyz wrote:Alright!,
Gonna transfer the Leaper to the truck also? :lol:
Engine choice?
Paul

We are going to mount it right in the middle if the hood. Maybe even get a second one. NOT!!!!!!!
Engine choice is not for sure yet. It has a 292, 3 on the tree, and he knows for sure that he doesn't want the 3 on the tree. I'm trying to talk him into a mod motor, maybe out of a Mustang GT. He knows for sure that he wants an automatic, he is tired of vehicles with a clutch.
I think that I really want to do the IRS along with the IFS. I believe that it will make it ride nice and it be different, not that anybody will see it unless I make the floor hydraulic lift so it can be seen.

OOPS, I have to stop thinking like this, it isn't my truck. :? :lol:

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

At least you're making progress! I've still got the donor up in the air preparing to pull the rear assembly. I'm still gravitating toward the Factory Five components, but may just install as is, then swap as time and funds allow. I need to get the running gear operable before it needs repair again; of course my pristine body panels won't remain that way long down here by the bay if I don't get some paint on them!
I laughingly stated I would drive this '66 to SS6, but the reality is I could easily finish the "want to" items on the long bed, Spot, and drive that one.
Hey I could always put the independent suspended low-rider on the trailer and bring the '65 and '66!
Looking forward to your {new} build, and good luck!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Kevin I can say for sure thaat should be differant . I cant remember ever seeing a Jag rear under a Slick . I do remember seeing them under Model A's and T's back in the 70's and 80's but never a Slick that I caan remember :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Rick, This will keep the wheel pattern the same on all 4 wheels. It should ride nice and handle well. If I run into very many problems installing it, we will scrap the idea and put the stock rear end back in it. I really don't think that it will be that hard to put it in the truck. There are still a lot of people using the Jag IRS in vehicles but usually in cars that you can see the rear end. I have seen quite a few people using high HP engines so I assume that they are pretty tough.
We were considering the Mark VIII IRS but we ran across this complete car while looking for a Jag IFS. I am hoping that when we are done getting rid of parts that we are only into the IFS & IRS about $400. We paid $800 for the car so I am hoping to get back $400 in sold parts.

Kevin
kstones63
eddieschopshop

Post by eddieschopshop »

if you mod motor.. look for a mark 8 doner car get get irs and engine wiring out of that car.. 4.6 DOHC..:P
unless you get a navi..5.4 DOHC.. :D
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

eddieschopshop wrote:if you mod motor.. look for a mark 8 doner car get get irs and engine wiring out of that car.. 4.6 DOHC..:P
unless you get a navi..5.4 DOHC.. :D

I used a Mark VIII donor car to get the engine and wiring for my truck.
Nick is due home in a couple of weeks for a while so hopefully we will get a game plan for this build.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I got the Jag mostly taken apart. The front and rear suspension is out of the car.
This has 4 piston calipers on the front brakes and dual piston calipers on the rear. This should make it stop really well.
I will take the cage off of the IRS and make my own mounts for the center section. The cage is ugly and needs to go.
I need to get the seats out it and then get rid of the body. I am not sure if we will use these seats or not so Nick will make that decision. He wants bucket seats in it but he hasn't seen these yet to know if he wants them.

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

kstones63 wrote:I got the Jag mostly taken apart. The front and rear suspension is out of the car.
This has 4 piston calipers on the front brakes and dual piston calipers on the rear. This should make it stop really well.

Yeah, keep that thought in mind when buying or installing replacements, or building the new cage! :2cents:
I will take the cage off of the IRS and make my own mounts for the center section. The cage is ugly and needs to go.
I need to get the seats out it and then get rid of the body. I am not sure if we will use these seats or not so Nick will make that decision. He wants bucket seats in it but he hasn't seen these yet to know if he wants them.

Kevin

Lookin' good!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Will there really be any advantage to making the Jag cross member bolt in instead of welding it in solid? I am getting this ready to go in the truck and was wondering if really makes a difference?
I know the obvious to measure 20 times before welding to make sure that it is right. Welding it in would make the frame more solid.

Any thoughts? I am looking for opinions either way.

Kevin
kstones63
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I would think just from the service ability stand point. Looks like a PITA to do anything to that, but if you completely rebuild it, you wont have any problems for a long time.

:2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

I would weld it and box the frame at least between the front crossmember and firewall to stiffen it up as you would do for a Mustang 2 or similar install. If you weld it in, you could also easily lower the ride height by notching the frame or crossmember without killing the geometry of the suspension. Same goes for the rear.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Kevin back when we were still doing Volare clips we welded them in and would compete to see who would cut the most out of their frame before setting the volare crossmember up into it and boxing everything in :D. I managed to get within less than a 1/2" of the top of the frame rail with mine . Which made it good and low before even messing with the torsion bars :D.

Rick
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

MadMaxetc wrote:I would think just from the service ability stand point. Looks like a PITA to do anything to that, but if you completely rebuild it, you wont have any problems for a long time.

:2cents:

As far as servicing the front suspension, it needs to be assembled and disassembled in the truck anyways. The upper control arms are narrower than the frame so they need to come off before the cross member can be installed or removed.
I guess that my reason for asking is, will there ever be a reason to need to remove the cross member?

Kevin
kstones63
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Kevin I think the easiest answer I can give to that question is . Do you see a reason to ever remove the Camaro crossmember out of your truck ? :D.

Rick
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

We made some progress yesterday on the truck.
We got the Jag cross member cleaned up by eliminating all of the unwanted items on it.
The front suspension is out along with the steering box and column.
Does anybody need a good front axle? There isn't any rust on it and the king pins feel really good.

We got the cross member tacked up in place.
Then we used the redneck spring compressor to get it put back together.
I followed Matts idea on compressing the springs. We used a jack to compress the springs so that we didn't have to use wrench to run the nuts all the way up.
We did move the axle 1" forward from the original location. The plan today is to get the rack put back in, set it down on the ground to make sure that the ride height is where we want it. By all of the measurements that I have taken, I am sure that it will be the correct height. I also need to measure the placement at least 25 more times to make sure that it is in it's proper location.
Then I will get it welded in enough to make sure that it stays in place. We will pull the front fenders off a little later and then I will finish plating it and finish welding it all in place.
kstones63
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looking good Guys I am looking forward to seeing it set back down on the ground so we can see if its low enough or if the crossmember needs to be moved up into the frame any :D.

Rick