Anyone know source for automatic tranny shift rod?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdherman

Anyone know source for automatic tranny shift rod?

Post by cdherman »

OK, on the continueing quest for part to swap over to C4 tranny.

I have automatic column coming I think, but I need the shift rod (linkage) that goes from the end of the column down to the tranny.

Anyone know of source for these new? Are they the same as for FMX, C6 etc?

And I am also in the hunt for the correct throttle kick down. I realize that Lokar makes an aftermarket one, but I figure that an original would be better. Anyone know if they are made?

Junk yards are so rare here......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Dave, let me go check what I have. Just got back from my course, I'll get the column pics to you today :oops:
Mark

banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

The shift rod is different, and it is based on the way the rod fastens to the shifter - both top at the column and bottom, at the transmission.

The '65 (possibly earlier?) up to '67 or '68 uses a shift rod threaded at the top. A square block threads onto this. It has a shaft which protrudes through the column shift lever, and is held on with a typical Ford spring clip.
The bottom of this rod is turned over, and pops into a rubber bushing on the transmission shift lever.

The '69 or so and later(I may be off on the dates) use a different setup. The top of the rod is turned over, and pops into the rubber bushing, which is in the column shift lever. The bottom of the rod is flattened and slotted.
At the transmission shift lever, a metal block with a shaft (a shaft like the one above) pops through a hole in the metal, and is held in place by s clip. The other side of this block is a threaded shaft, which slides through the slot in the rod. A nut secures the block to the shift rod.

When I went to a C-6, I used a '70 steering column and the later rod.

So, it depends on the shifter in the steering column, and the shift lever on the transmission, to determine which rod to use - or to cobble up out of two.

Hope this isn't too confusing, and hope it helps.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Dave, check my gallery for the drawing of the '66 linkage.
It is for a COM, not a C-4. It could be similar, or could be greatly different.

It really depends on the year of the steering column, and the year - and type - of the shift lever on the side of the transmission.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Dave, e-mail me. banjopicker66 at hotmail dot you-know-what.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

To somewhat answer my own question.

I found tonight that Lokar makes a kit, ACA-1801 that consists of an nicely adjustable billet shift lever and rod for C4 and C6 applications.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 6_-1_10519

For about $50 delivered, I am set to go. I realize that I might have been able to find one at some junkyard, somewhere, but here in KC, the pickings seem to be slip in my area.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!