Dash Pads

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FarmTrk

Dash Pads

Post by FarmTrk »

Hey guys finally got my truck out of the paint shop and am beginning th4 reassembly process. While I have the windshiled out of it, I thought it would be a good time to replace the padded dash. I have only found one place that sells reproductions and that is DC. I know most of his stuff is very good but, I have heard that the quality of the dash pads is not that good and that he doesn't make them himself. Before I shell out $450 I want to make sure I get the best quality I can. Has anyone used his dash pads and, if so, what do you think. I know there are a couple of places that will rebuild mine but it is almost a toss up on the price of a new one. Anyway, any information would be helpful.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Never had one of Dennis' dash pads but everyone here will tell you his stuff is first rate.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I have sold some of the dash pads for these trucks , not very happy since the last one had no defrost or speaker holes, now some trucks have seen without speaker grill but have to have the defrost holes,, I heard of this company called Just Dashes in Calif. that redoes them and also sells them , DC Does not make them
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
mrcando_66F100

Dash Pads

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

Check these guys out.... Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Inc. 1-800-654-3247. www.classicautoparts.com I think you are going to pay about the same price. Obsolete ford is located here in OKC, OK. They have been pretty helpful to me. I have bought most of my stuff to date from them and LMC. Good luck on your research & purchase. Please let us know when you get your dash pad and what you think of the quality. Also....take some pic's. I love the pics on this website.....Helps give me new Ideas.
Jeremy
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

I was too cheap to buy one. I had my old one and it was in bad shape. It was cracked and almost in two pieces. I just recovered it myself. I found a piece of vinyl that you could stretch with your fingers fairly easy. I had the dash out and filled in the cracks with silicone. I then wraped it around the dash. I heated the new vinyl with a hair dryer and stretched it over the old dash. After it formed some I fliped the new vinyl with headliner spray on glue. Then flipped it back over and reheated the areas that needed to form. Then I put clothes pins all along the edges until it dried. Its been in my truck for two years and still looks great. Only 15 bucks to do it for me.

[albumimg]241[/albumimg]
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

stupid question I'm sure, but I've been wondering... why couldnt a person just take the dash pad off, clean up and paint the metal underneath ala the 61-63s? (think they started the pads in 64)

Other than the non-original aspect that is.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Is the dash pad a standard item in the slick years,I haven`t seen one before.Alan
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

They're not standard and I don't think it became a law until 67'. Personally I like the metal dash better and don't think they're worth it, If they were 75 bucks I'd consider it.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

it was still a option on 67-72 trucks on dash pads seen a lot of 67-72 without dash pads
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Truckrat
United States of America

dash pads

Post by Truckrat »

Guys, do the dash pads for the 65-66 trucks clip on or bolt on? I don't have one either, but had considered using one in my 65. Just would need to drill holes for mounting one, right? TR
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

chrome trim up the windshield holds the front of the pad down, then the 2 chrome strips short one on the d/s above key switch and long one on the other side
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Tom, even on the 100's? I've never seen one without one, but you've seen alot more than me.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:shock: I have`nt even seen the chrome strips that Junkyard Dog mentions,we must of only got the poverty packs out here.Alan :cry:
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

the dash pads were definatley an option. most trucks didnt come with them. none of mine did. I personally think the dashes look best without them and in a two tone color scheme
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Bet any interior shop could cover your dash with whatever you wanted and wouldn't charge $450 plus shipping.Just a thought :idea:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Yes a lot of state trucks or the ones used in fleet trucks like Telphone Trucks, Coke or Pepsi Etc. a lot of them had no dash pads, block out for the radio and even a block out for the heater depending on where being shipped. Now as far as 61/66 Dash Pads the dash has to have the holes up by the windshield & across middle of dash also some trucks that where two-tone had the chrome across the dash as well to break it up and even the speaker grill was the same in the trucks BUT The way the grill was mounted was different between trucks with or without a dash pad :)
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

FarmTrk

Post by FarmTrk »

Boy guys I appreciate all the input. I have bought from DC many times and, YES, their stuff is usually top notch, but I don't think they make the pads they sell. I have found a place in WA state that restores pads and am waiting for a call from them.
It is interesting all of the comment about having and not having the pads. As they say, different strokes for different folks. I am trying to keep my truck somewhat close to stock in some respects and have some additional ideas about the dash so kind of want to stay with the pad.
Again THANKS for all the input I do appreciate it.
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

so, trying to get this through my thick skull....

You can or can't just remove a bad dash pad and paint the metal underneath?
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Yes you can put your chrome back on and paint under the pad
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

I pulled my old cracked and torn dash pad off of my 64 and replaced it with a new one from Just Dashes in Van Nuys, CA and it comes in natural, which is black.
I colored mine red to match my seats and door panel inserts. The quality is top notch and they come complete with the defrost vents formed in them. They also cut out the speaker hole for me with a template I provided. I was very happy with the quality and the fit.
Yes it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it came out beautiful.

[albumimg]2518[/albumimg]
Doug
Riverside, CA