Power steering needed.....Bad!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shaff64

Power steering needed.....Bad!

Post by shaff64 »

Okay, anyone know what I can do now to add power steering to my 63? I seen there was a link on this site that took me to a aftermarket add on power steering unit however, it won't work with a three speed on the column truck. I worked to hard to return it the tree so that's out.... What can I do to add power steering? Change out everything and remove the motor and trans and cut out the crossmember and add rack and pinion? I know a guy that has a power steering unit that came with his 63 uni, Did the original ones work okay?

Or should I just start lifting weights now, and get ready for the real work out to drive it. LOl

Any help would be appreciated!
bird55
United States of America

Re: Power steering needed.....Bad!

Post by bird55 »

FYI, I don't have PS on my 64 either. But I do have newish front end components and good tires with proper inflation. It takes getting used too to learn how to drive it as most of us get pretty spoiled and lazy driving anything new.
It's part of the "driving experiance" :lol: I like it just fine.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_arti ... eering.htm

I beleive this will work with stock column. you can use your stock steering column with the no-limits R & P if you cut the steering shaft at the botton next to the steering box inner and outer and reweld a D.D. universal joint on the end, has been done by people on this site. :2cents:

Danny
Last edited by Hunter's 64 on April 18, 2013, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i dont know what you have been told but ps is not a necessity, its a luxury item allowing the driver to turn with a finger instead of 2 hands.
bird55 wrote:FYI, I don't have PS on my 64 either. But I do have newish front end components and good tires with proper inflation. It takes getting used too to learn how to drive it as most of us get pretty spoiled and lazy driving anything new.
It's part of the "driving experiance" :lol: I like it just fine.
lazy is the operative word in the quote above.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

No Limit Engineering makes and sells a Power Rack and Pinion setup that bolts onto a straight axle vehicle.
You will need to change the steering column so you have an end to tie the column to the rack. Runs about $700 the last I looked.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

What size tires are you running?

Im putting ps on my 66 because I will one of the few who have ps on a Slick with a 3 speed column shift and I want to be special.

Im running 225-70-15s on stock rims. Its not effortless, but its not hard either.

My next set will be 235-75-15s.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
shaff64

Post by shaff64 »

Ya, My sons talked me in to putting on 16" M/Ts with 265 /75R Good year tires all the way around on my truck. I have not drove it yet, I was just thinking that it is going to be a bear to steer. Maybe I'm just getting nervous or nothing. I don't mind the hard steering of a non power unit. I just didn't know if I could even turn the wheels at a stop. I sure like the input above here. This site is something else..... Thanks you very much! I guess I will need to wait and see in two weeks if I can drive it with these wheels and tires on it.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Once rolling you're probably going to be OK, but at a stop or slow speeds it's probably going to be bear. Top notch front end components, well lubed will help. I have 195's on the front of Little Red (64 short) and it's tough to steer while stopped or at slow speeds (driveway, parking lot, etc.) but probably could use new kingpins, etc.
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on April 18, 2013, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You can still get the original style power steering for the truck, and it will work with 3 speed, no porblem. As to the bigger wheels and tires, I advise you to go with a narrower tire, but the 16's are a good idea. I have a 64 3/4 ton that doesn't have power steering and it drives well. I would see how it turns out first, before doing anything.

Rich
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

OK, I guess I'm turning into a wuss! While I readily agree lots of the tough steering problems are the result of poor maintenance and worn parts, my towtruck is almost intolerable at driveway speeds. I have re-arranged the pecking order of my shop to avoid the sharp 180 degree turn into the taller stalls. It still takes several forward and back manuevers to make the turn, and it's no fun! I am 6' 1" and 220 lb. , so with the later model seat, the big wheel also is almost binding against certain parts of my anatomy!
The Classic Performance kit may be the answer of choice, although I don't like the linkage-mounted cylinder type assist. I need to contact No Limit to determine if their conversion can be used on an F350 Slick, which was not originally offered with power steering. My '61 uni 6 cylinder drives just fine with no assist, but the '65 with a 385 is a pleasure with the later factory setup. The big advantage to the '65 is that I can literally utilize four wheel steering under many conditions :shock:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Sure I swear and grunt when parking a longbed slick in today's parking lots. I even have the complete setup from a '76 F-100 for three on the tree with power steering. But I can't bring myself to put it in my '66 project.

Later steering wheel and column look silly in a stock slick cab.
Something else to fail and fix.
One less thing to load on an old engine.
Everybody who sees these trucks usually likes the "huge" stock steering wheel.
Cranking the wheel while stopped is just as hard on the tire treads as it is on your shoulders.

As far as the wheel making contact with certain parts of the driver - run the seat back?

Maybe we all just ate less or healthier back in the 60's?

Doug in east TN
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Once rolling you're probably going to be OK, but at a stop or slow speeds it's probably going to be bear. Top notch front end components, well lubed will help. I have 195's on the front of Little Red (64 short) and it's tough to steer while stopped or at slow speeds (driveway, parking lot, etc.) but probably could use new kingpins, etc.
This is one of the problems with manual steering vehicles vs modern cars that are ALL PS. We have forgotten as a society how to drive them.
I have 225 x 60s on the front of my truck with a 14 3/4" steering wheel. Your arms best not be sore if you want to turn the wheel sitting still and especially if you have pressure on the brakes (both wheels will fight you in opposite directions then). Plan your turns and have it moving to steer it, if you're doing it right you can drive the thing with one hand.
I may still add PS to my 64 someday (I have bad shoulders) - I will likely go with the Toyota 4x4 conversion though. You can also add on the Ford slave cylinder PS setup - it was still in use up into the late 70s on Granadas etc. so they are still out there. It's a pretty simple system and will fit about anything. The biggest issue with it is worn seals on the slave cylinder - these can be bought rebuilt and really aren't that hard to put new seals in yourself.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

douglloyd wrote:Later steering wheel and column look silly in a stock slick cab.
Something else to fail and fix.Doug in east TN
You can make a later column look exactly like your 66 column. Its a little more work, but what isnt a little more work on a 47 year old truck?
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

douglloyd wrote:Maybe we all just ate less or healthier back in the 60's?
not really
its all in your head
if you dont have it and never did its not likely to be thought or worried about.

its just like any of the convenience items
once you get used to them its hard to cut them out
it can be done just takes some getting used to

i lived without electricity and running water for a long time, its not the end of the world and after a short while you dont think much about it. nice to have but not a requirement to live happily.

tv and cellphones are the same way, internet too.

the more conveniences the lazier one gets and the more complicated things become when one or more of them break down.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I run 215/75 r 15 tires with 44 psi, and also grease the heck out of everything. It does not steer too badly, I spent enough time driving a deuce and a half with no power steering to get a pretty good no power steering technique down. In parking lots you have to roll just a little, and steer with the wheel close to your chest for leverage and get most of your power from pulling down on the wheel, kinda like pulling down on a sleeve to break balance in judo, if anyone knows what I am talking about.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

samdog1966

Post by samdog1966 »

What you never had, you'll never miss.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

douglloyd wrote:Sure I swear and grunt when parking a longbed slick in today's parking lots. I even have the complete setup from a '76 F-100 for three on the tree with power steering. But I can't bring myself to put it in my '66 project.

Later steering wheel and column look silly in a stock slick cab.
Something else to fail and fix.
One less thing to load on an old engine.
Everybody who sees these trucks usually likes the "huge" stock steering wheel.
Cranking the wheel while stopped is just as hard on the tire treads as it is on your shoulders.
I don't mind replacing tire treads; I kinda want to hold on to my shoulders!
As far as the wheel making contact with certain parts of the driver - run the seat back?
Never thought of that! Now if I can just find the power seat button!
Maybe we all just ate less or healthier back in the 60's?
Kinda like my trucks; my body was somewhat newer back then!

Doug in east TN
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have had manual steering trucks that steered just as good as ps trucks. yes, it's true that at a complete stop they are a bugger to steer, but once you get used to steering as you move (even at half a mph) they work just fine. i had a 67 f250 that i could literally one finger as long as there was some movement forward or backward. the 66 i have now is almost as easy.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

shaff64 wrote:Okay, anyone know what I can do now to add power steering to my 63? I seen there was a link on this site that took me to a aftermarket add on power steering unit however, it won't work with a three speed on the column truck. I worked to hard to return it the tree so that's out.... What can I do to add power steering? Change out everything and remove the motor and trans and cut out the crossmember and add rack and pinion? I know a guy that has a power steering unit that came with his 63 uni, Did the original ones work okay?

Or should I just start lifting weights now, and get ready for the real work out to drive it. LOl

Any help would be appreciated!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30050

Danny
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

bobenhotep wrote: steer with the wheel close to your chest for leverage and get most of your power from pulling down on the wheel, kinda like pulling down on a sleeve to break balance in judo, if anyone knows what I am talking about.
Good point;
Take a look at a NASCAR racer in his car on the race this weekend - notice how they sit in relation to the steering wheel.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.