Bumpers and Grills

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bmcgc
United States of America

Bumpers and Grills

Post by bmcgc »

My aluminum 66 grill is in perfect condition except for the finish.

Polishing it is to much work and too much maintenence to keep it nice.

I like white grills, except IMO if the grill is white, the bumpers should be too.

The finish on both of my chrome bumpers is in poor condition, so I need to do something with them as well.

My CC side trim is intact but has some dings and the finish is in poor condition.

What are my options?

I dont want to spend an arm and a leg, I just want a nice looking DD.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: Bumpers and Grills

Post by Hunter's 64 »

polish and spray with a clear coat :2cents:

Not the cheapest way, but what will look nice and last a while .

Danny
BlueGhost

Post by BlueGhost »

Powder coat? I thought about doing it to mine but instead went the labor intensive, time consuming polishing route.

I think a silver, grey, or hammer tone finish for the grill and side moldings would look good. I don't think it would be too expensive if you stripped the anodizing and smoothed out the dings yourself before having it coated.
SBC is a defunct phone company, not an engine option.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Go see your local powder shop, and look at color samples, there should be one called "Near Chrome", might be an alternative to polishing aluminum regularly??
donald luster

Post by donald luster »

I just had my grill powdercoated gloss black and I ask the business and he said it will not hold up for very long at all. He said to NOT To DO it at all. HE said clear over it would help but not much.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Dale here in Houston powder coated his '66 grill and unless you actually get up close and look you can't tell it isn't polished aluminum. It's the red and white truck with the 542 stroker motor I posted some time back.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

Why wouldnt powder coat hold up?

I have seen motorcycle and Jeep parts that were powdercoated that held up for many years.

Why whould a Slick grill be any different?

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Uncle Skip wrote:Dale here in Houston powder coated his '66 grill and unless you actually get up close and look you can't tell it isn't polished aluminum. It's the red and white truck with the 542 stroker motor I posted some time back.
Skip, unless something's changed, I understood Dale's is re-anodized.
Mine ARE chrome powder-coated, and as I previously posted, after the first Eastwood finish turned gray after a year, the current coatings from Powder by the LB have held up extremely well, and duplicate a well-polished OEM finish. Eastwood has since changed their powder in response to this; I have no knowledge of the new product. I am currently working on the side trim, and finding I don't have the knack or patience to remove every ding to my satisfaction. I will "fill" these with Belzona, coat with the chrome powder, and see how they survive in the oven. If we can avoid noticable signs of the filling, all should go well. It may take multiple trys to achieve success, but Mitchell has even been able to powder-coat animal skulls.
Chipping has not been a problem on the grilles with a minimum amount of powder; though it can be on items such as wheels with exotic finishes which require a large amount of powder. I don't know if you noted the finish on Joe's F150, those are an example of the "Black Chrome" powder.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

I've heard good things about Sharkhide for aluminum. It's not super cheap, but it's much cheaper than a quality powder coating job and you don't have to worry about oxidation destroying your coating.

I've had bad experiences with clear powder over polished metals, especially aluminum - get one scratch or chip and oxidation will form and spread, lifting the coating and peeling from the scratch out. Clean aluminum can even oxidize fast enough for oxidation to form between processes at the powdercoater, making it only a matter of time before a clear powder will start to lift as oxidation occurs underneath. Colors aren't as susceptible to this since parts are usually etched before powdercoating where they can only really clean and coat polished pieces to preserve the finish - the reputable places around me won't do it at all anymore.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I would certainly not powdercoat over a polished surface; you are correct that it requires a "grip" just like any other coating.
Sharkhide is a product I know nothing of, however the owner of the company who sells it states that it requires upkeep as far as re-treating scratches and scuffs to avoids oxidation, plus occasional recoating to maintain protection.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

I see that LMC has primer bumpers for $99 each. I think that I am going to buy a set of those and paint the grill and bumpers white. I can polish the turnsignal trim and side moldings on my buffing wheel, then clearcoat.

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
808F250
United States of America

Post by 808F250 »

If you'd like to just use the stuff you have and paint it white.... 180 grit paper on the grill and etch prime. 60 grit the bumpers etch primer and few coats of high build primer on both. Wet sand and apply your top coat.
If it's got tits or tires, You're gona have problems