Swap meet

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Garbz

Swap meet

Post by Garbz »

Anyone heading to the swap meet in Prescott this weekend?

Garbz
good2bea9
United States of America

Would like to go.

Post by good2bea9 »

Garbz,
I posted a question that you and Steve may be able to help with??? My truck went into the paint shop on 21 May and I was told 7-10 days to complete the work. Well now it has been about 70+days and I am VER FRUSTRATED to say the least. As you can see on my profile, the truck is primered and ready for paint but the only thing that was painted to date is the firewall. I have not seen any of the other pieces or parts for the truck since I dropped it off there. The guy has told me on several occasions that he will have the truck ready next week only for me to show up and nothing was done with it. What are my options????? I did not even bother the guy until day 10 when he said the truck was to be done and it had not been started. If I pull it out now he may charge me some astronomical amount. I was quoted about $2500 and I feel that he is making this a show truck which is what I specifically said I did not want. Thanks for the help and as soon as I am down there I will bring the chrome mirrors to you. You can call me at (623)229-0952 Cell since I can not check personal e-mails at work.
David
billyt

Post by billyt »

Did you get a WRITTEN estimate before the work was started? Or did you just say 'here's what I want, take your time (but I want it yesterday). What was your $2500 supposed to buy? You say he told you 7-10 days. What was being done? was it a quick-n-dirty shoot or a nice paint job?

A nice job can take upwards, and sometimes over, 30 days. A show paint job can take months and will cost well over what you were quoted (think $10-50K)

Is this a real shop, or just some asshole with a paint gun and a shed? A real shop has a reputation to protect. If you were going cheap, just get over there, pay the guy for the work that was done (NOT A DAMN CENT over $2500) and get the truck outta' there. Politely remind the painter you were quoted 7-10 days,not 70.

Depending what state you're in, you may get some assistance from the state Bureau of Automotive Repairs. If your state doesn't have something like that, get his legal address and file a friggin'lien on his property if he owns any property. If not, and he won't release the truck, you may be SOL. Good luck. Try being a little smarter about your financial dealings (and a paint job is nothing more than a financial dealing) next time.
Just keep trying. You might fail if you try, but you definitely will fail if you don't try.

65 short bed, 01 Dodge turbo diesel, 06 Electra Glide, 07 Mustang convertible (wife's car)
billyt

Post by billyt »

I looked at my prior reply and it looked a little intense. My apologies; I'd had a few beers and let my temper override my common sense. I tend to get upset about people who get taken advantage of, but I've also found that many people (myself included on more than one occasion) tend to let their emotions overpower their thinking cap when it comes to their favorite projects.

My suggestion for the writer from Phoenix is to take a step back when you're getting any work done and ask yourself if what is being offered makes sense. Get an itemized estimate. Know exactly what you're paying for. The shop only cares about the final $ figure. You need to care about both the final figure and the actual work that will be done for that price.

If you don't have much experience in negotiating a price, don't be afraid/ashamed/too macho to ask someone you trust to go with you and help negotiate a price. No shame at all in that.

I'm a former dealership bodyshop manager, and I could always tell when someone didn't have a clue as to what they wanted, what the job was worth, and what you'd get for your hard-earned dollars. I also spent many years as an insurance adjuster and know what it's like to deal with the type of shop you encountered. There's a bunch out there.

You are fortunate living in the Phoenix area as there are also some real good shops there, too. Some people will tell you to 'shop around'; good advice if you know what that means. Simply put, talk to as many shops as you need until you are comfortable with what you want, what you know and what you are willing and able to spend.

What you went through is called experience. We've all been there. You are not alone. Good luck and remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Regards,
Just keep trying. You might fail if you try, but you definitely will fail if you don't try.

65 short bed, 01 Dodge turbo diesel, 06 Electra Glide, 07 Mustang convertible (wife's car)