Where are the VIN locations on my 62 Uni?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Phil

Where are the VIN locations on my 62 Uni?

Post by Phil »

The doors have no tag and I have a metal tag rivited to the inside of the glovebox. I suspect that is not a factory location ?
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

You suspect wrong. :D That is the stock location for '61 and '62.

also stamped on the frame under the passengers feet.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Phil

Post by Phil »

Johnny Canuck wrote:You suspect wrong. :D That is the stock location for '61 and '62.

also stamped on the frame under the passengers feet.

Crazy.

It took me like 5 minutes to find it when the DMV wanted to inspect it.
Seems putting the VIN on a removable part like a glovebox door is kinda goofy.

Ill have a look see under the truck tonight just for curiosity's sake
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Only thing is you are confused as to what you are looking at. The plate in the glovebox or door of a later truck is a warantee tag not a VIN tag. It does happen to contain the VIN but it is not legally considered a VIN plate. Officially the VIN is stamped on the frame on these vehicles. Later plates even say "Warranty number. Not for title or registration purposes". Hawkrod

Phil

Post by Phil »

[quote="Hawkrod"]Only thing is you are confused as to what you are looking at. The plate in the glovebox or door of a later truck is a warantee tag not a VIN tag. It does happen to contain the VIN but it is not legally considered a VIN plate. Officially the VIN is stamped on the frame on these vehicles. Later plates even say "Warranty number. Not for title or registration purposes". Hawkrod

Damn Hawk, you need a girlfriend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid. Thanks for the clarification as usual.
I should have threw down a floor matt and
made the 70 yr old DMV lady roll up under my rig
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep . Almost as goofy as putting it right on the door so all you have to do is swap out the door :wink: . The one on the frame is ON TOP of the frame so you might need a mirror and a flashlight to find it from below.. luck.gif
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Phil

Post by Phil »

Im used the mid sizes. On top the fender aprons under the fenders and on the dash pad mount. Changeable but difficult.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

You will also find on some 62s the VIN stamped on the passenger rail just forward of the shock tower.

Garbz
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

[quote="Garbz"]You will also find on some 62s the VIN stamped on the passenger rail just forward of the shock tower.

Yes Garbz,thats where I found the VIN stamped on my (we think 66).
Alan
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Johnny Canuck wrote: The one on the frame is ON TOP of the frame so you might need a mirror and a flashlight to find it from below.. luck.gif

A "crack light" works too.
:lol:
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Heavyhauler wrote:
Hawkrod wrote:Only thing is you are confused as to what you are looking at. The plate in the glovebox or door of a later truck is a warantee tag not a VIN tag. It does happen to contain the VIN but it is not legally considered a VIN plate. Officially the VIN is stamped on the frame on these vehicles. Later plates even say "Warranty number. Not for title or registration purposes". Hawkrod

Damn Hawk, you need a girlfriend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid. Thanks for the clarification as usual.
I should have threw down a floor matt and
made the 70 yr old DMV lady roll up under my rig

I only point it out as so many people have had problems understanding this fact. It often comes up on later trucks when guys swap the door and are afraid of changing the tag. The warantee plate is not a legal VIN plate even if your DMV person uses it. The example has already been made, what happens if you change the door, or more importantly what happens if a previous owner changed the door and did not keep the tag. I have had DMV employees actually tell me they can't register a vehicle because of this and that is when I make them get their book out. Federal guidelines determine where the VIN is not convenience for the inspector! LOL I have made a couple eat their words and one got to explain to me, their boss and a DMV inspector why the law did not apply! It can certainly get interesting. Hawkrod