Securing children's car seats in a classic truck.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Securing children's car seats in a classic truck.

Post by dotcentral »

My 3 year old boy has taken an interest in my 71. The truck has lap belts, which will allow the child seat to mount in the truck, but his mother says he can't ride in it unless I come up with a way to run the mounting belt that in newer cars attaches to the roof or package shelf. My Dad's Colorado has a mount built into the back cab wall. I am thinking about fabbing up something similar, or building/welding a mount onto the seat back, on the back/rear cab side.

Ideas?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
1965fordf100
United States of America

Re: Securing children's car seats in a classic truck.

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I have a 2002 silverado crew cab that doesn't even have the ability to attach the upper part of the child seat, just the lap belt...crank that belt down tight enough the seat doesn't move and your good to go...but everyone has their own comfort level with safety...you could weld a loop to the cab under the back window the belt could attach to
Phil
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

The lap belt is fine for the forward facing child seats, they actually are tighter than the 3 point belts because the three point is being forced to go down and then turn through the back of the child seat. You are not using the seatbelt as its designed for adults, for children you are defeating the lock mechanism to it stays tight at rest. Newer vehicles allow you to pull the seatbelt all the way out, and then they lock while retracting so they stay tight. Older ones require the seatbelt clip which is like a big paper clip, they are hard to install and still not as secure in my opinion. With the lap belt I would line up the seat, put all your weight on the seat with your knees and have someone else pull it tight. You should not be able to move the seat much side to side and I wouldn't expect any movement forward or back. Good luck!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

I know the car seat I have for my daughter in my 65 that is secured with just a lap belt is more secure than the one in my 97 ranger that is secured with the factory belt. I can get the car seat slot tighter with the lap belt only!! Just my 2 cents.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

I have to agree with the others here . I was born late 60's and raised in cars through the 70's that only had lap belts . My parents were raised in cars that most likely didnt even have lap belts and we all survived . Honestly your son is more safe in your 71 truck than he would be in a 2011 that has airbags that could hurt him if they went off while he was in the front seat .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Adding the anchor point for the tether doesn't have to be complicated. I am not sure of the load capacity of the newer vehicle's anchors, but I feel certain just making an anchor utilizing several of the gas tank upper fasteners would be sufficient in combo with the seat belt, and help to ease any concerns.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

When I was 3 my parents just plopped me in the seat of the 59 Bonneville..................
OMG! how did I survive to be 54???????
:mrgreen:

Sorry - just had too.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

aarons428 wrote:I know the car seat I have for my daughter in my 65 that is secured with just a lap belt is more secure than the one in my 97 ranger that is secured with the factory belt. I can get the car seat slot tighter with the lap belt only!! Just my 2 cents.
I agree with most of what has been said. I'll mount the child seat with just the lap belt and show her how secure it is. As long as the child seat is securely attached to the bench seat, and the bench and it's seat belts firmly mounted and in good shape, all should be well. But if I absolutely have to, I will add something extra to do the 3rd mounting point, for appearances. I'd say screw it, but I know my son will like riding in the truck so I'm willing to do a gesture to keep the peace.
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I grew up riding in the back of a 65 F-100.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Don't want to be a downer, but you need to check your state laws.

It's may not even be legal for a kid to ride facing forward.

Here's a link of what Iowa does, notice there is a year restriction (lifted) for pre 1966.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/gtsb/ ... _Guide.pdf

I'm sure most states have a similar "cheat sheet" out there.

Just some food for thought.
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

How about remembering sitting rear facing at the back of a station wagon. I think someone could sue you for abuse these days!
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

You could also look into duplicating a LATCH anchor point behind the bench seat for the car seat only. I am not a big fan of the LATCH system since its usually only rated, for 65 pounds while seatbelts are designed in the 185 pound range.
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

The lap belt is fine for the forward facing child seats, they actually are tighter than the 3 point belts because the three point is being forced to go down and then turn through the back of the child seat.
I worked in the Fire Service and we helped folks with car seats until it became too much of a "hot Potato".

The only suitable position in your truck is the center of the bench with the center lap belt. Use a seat forward facing with a harness incorporated into the seat correctly rated for the size of your child. The center lap belt is used to secure the back of the child seat to the truck bench seat. You need to use the clip to lock the belt, they do work if you adjust it correctly. The lap belt is used to mount the child seat to the truck seat only, do not run the lap belt over the child or the child seat, it should be used on a seat designed for the lap belt to run through the bottom back.

To mount the seat you must mash the child seat down into the cushion as far as possible. You may need to actually get into the seat to mash it down. Use trial and error for the lap belt. Adjust it and use the locking clip to where it's too short to buckle loosely. Get into the seat or press it down then you should be able to latch the belt. The seat should have no side to side movement. It will have a small amount of forward and back movement, its designed that way with the lap belt mount.

If the belts are too long you can twist the short buckle belt to tighten it. You can also use towels or pool noodles to shim and adjust the seats as you lock it down. The harness in the seat provides the protection, not the lap belt, that just mounts seat.

Your wife is referring to the "Latch" system tether This was mandated on cars past 2000 or so. Honestly what you "Jerry Rig" may be more dangerous than none at all. I would just use the seat as designed with the center lap belt.

It may take an hour to half a day just to get the seat tight. Since it's so difficult to properly mount a child seat correctly, I recommend a dedicated seat just for that vehicle.

Check local laws also.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

64 litl un wrote: The only suitable position in your truck is the center of the bench with the center lap belt. Use a seat forward facing with a harness incorporated into the seat correctly rated for the size of your child. The center lap belt is used to secure the back of the child seat to the truck bench seat. You need to use the clip to lock the belt, they do work if you adjust it correctly. The lap belt is used to mount the child seat to the truck seat only, do not run the lap belt over the child or the child seat, it should be used on a seat designed for the lap belt to run through the bottom back.
Thanks. I have told her that the existing seat belts alone will hold a forward facing seat child seat safely, if done per manuf. instructions. I have some policemen friends. Maybe if I get them to say that too her, she will understand.