Good News and Bad News...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Macon ACE

Good News and Bad News...

Post by Macon ACE »

Woohoo! :) :)
I got the 64 F100 shifting this evening and was finally able to take it for a couple of spins around the block. It was a strange thing. There seems to be some extra length on the brake lines. One of them was lodged in the shift linkage. Shifts smooth as silk now. Does anyone know if this is an original style brake booster?

That's the good news. The bad: what's up with this generator?

Ain't it s'posed to line up with the fan pully? Any suggestions as to what I can do about that?

Also: I see this peeking about from underneath:

That can't be right, can it?

Anyway: at least it's in it's proper parking spot now:
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

NICE looking truck! those minor issues shouldn't take much to sort out. Nice collection you have going there.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

The 292 originally had a generator and I can see it's been changed out, no biggie, most everybody does it. However, the alternator is definitely out of alignment with the drive pulleys. I'd guess it'll go through belts pretty quick if left like that. Looks like maybe some homemade brackets?? If you can't get it adjusted you can get new brackets made to fit perfectly from http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com that's where I got mine.

Your flywheel is showing but you can easily get a new cover for that. Now maybe you can help me out...what model Edlebrock carb is that I see gracing the top of your old 292 :?:
AJ
Last edited by YukonCor55 on August 7, 2007, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I dont know if thats the original brake booster. in fact I'm not even sure they had power brakes then. none of mine do. I know it looks about like one on a '72 I just looked at though.

as far as the brake lines themselves go, you can shorten them fairly easily with a tubing cutter and a flaring tool. They shouldnt be that long.

The alternator SHOULD line up yes. looks like you have the wrong brackets or else the wrong alternator. You could either make up a set of correct length brackets, or if its not too far, just shim up with some washers if its still stable enough when youre done. Youre better off to get/make a proper bracket though in my book.

An expert might come along to help more :P

Looks good though.

clutch/flywheel showing: there should be an inspection cover that goes there, try a junk yard etc. its just a hunk of metal that bolts there to keep crap out of the flywheel/clutch.
norville

Post by norville »

Booster is a 68-72? ish and fits without hitting the valve covers without extra bracket. Later boosters are huge. That's what I have on mine and a drum/drum master cylinder. Orig would be a single pot MC.

bob
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Is that a dual reservoir master cylinder? Stock would have been a single reservoir m/c. Maybe a previous owner upgraded to a dual m/c, and the brake lines weren't routed quite right?

Maybe some one with a Y-block that has upgraded to an alternator can share what they did for brackets.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. I guess I have more parts to buy!

AJ,
The carb says this on the front left:
1406-2977

I think 1406 is the model number.

dotcentral,
Yep, it's a dual reservoir master cylinder. Vacuum assist - I think.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Non-original dual circuit master cylinder, which is a good thing. I'd say the above guys are right with what it's off of.

Truck came with a generator originally. Generic brackets (may be for a Chevy? Looks like a GM alt, which is not necessarily a horrible thing) which is why the belt alignment is off. Yes, you'll need to fix that or you'll throw belts.

Flywheel cover shouldn't be hard to source. Tom at Flashback probably has those in his kitchen for dog dishes. :lol:

Edelbrock carb is a 600 cfm by the model number. Handy link to the manual for it in case it's needed: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Slick Fan

Re: Good News and Bad News...

Post by Slick Fan »

Macon ACE wrote:Woohoo! :) :)
It was a strange thing. There seems to be some extra length on the brake lines. One of them was lodged in the shift linkage.

That there folks, is when you really know your brake lines are too long! hehe :rotflmao:

That's good you got it figured out though, especially without losing your brakes in the process. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

Brake booster is a really common aftermarket 6" PB with a Corvette "type" master cylinder.

If it stops well, good for you. If not, chuck that crap and everyone here can give you real world solutions to get power brakes.
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

another option instead of snipping the brake lines is to do it like you see in some of the more modern fords, and coil them. I'd think you could just get a piece of 1 1/2" pipe and gently coil the brake lines into a spring shape. Then route them somewhere out of the way and call it good for now.