disc brake spacer question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Casey 65
United States of America

disc brake spacer question

Post by Casey 65 »

Is installing a 1/4" spacer sufficient to clear the wheel hitting the caliper problem on switching from drum brakes to disc brakes? :?:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

My Dad installed them on his 94 F150 to clear a set of classic turbine style wheels he put on the truck, worked for him. I spose it's worth at least a try, I seem to remember someone else here saying it worked too. Just keep an eye on your lug nut torque with them though.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Yeah, we did have a thread on that awile back. Someone said they had spacers on their pickup. I used different wheels when I did mine.
Fred
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

WHAT I would look into is see how much clearance you have for the reason some calipers are pretty thick and can take a grinder to trim down, I did this on my 68 XLT To run 15" Charger Rallye Wheel with the Ford Caliper System ground enough after even putting a spacer with longer studs,, Please take your rotor to a machine shop to have the spacer custom made worth it in the long run
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Tom is right, turns out the calipers can be ground in a couple strategic places and then the stock rims fit.

Gerry, I have a set of 5/16 spacers that worked OK till I decided to grind down the high spots that Tom mentions. You can have em' if if you want. Or you can look and see where I ground to get the clearance. It wasn't hard.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!