Just saying hello from WV

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hillbilly66

Just saying hello from WV

Post by Hillbilly66 »

Well, I thought I'd make a thread and say hello. First day on the site. Have done a lot of builds through the years from high end cars(Saleen) to a 78 Ford F series to an 04 Mustang and even evil bowtie cars. Earlier this week, I bought a purple 66 4wd and sent it to have it painted(wife says no purple truck here). In the meantime, I was searching out power plant options, and came across the real cool Cummins 66 build here, and I read the info, and one thing lead to another where I found the "How Slicks Started" thread(at 3am this morning mind you), and here I am. Anyway, this is my first adventure in to 60s anything, so I am sure I will have a mess of questions, including what is original to these and what isn't(I know the bed on mine is much later).

As for me, I own a hydrographics(water transfer printing) shop, as well as a hobby metal shop among other things. I have 3 boys, a great wife, and love anything with wheels and a motor. Look foward to meeting everyone. :) Name is Mike.

Oh, and the truck:
Paul Merrell

Re: Just saying hello from WV

Post by Paul Merrell »

Awesome!! It seems that the 4x4's are alive and well.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Mike welcome to the club nice lookin truck you have there yep its got an 80's bed on it or at least the fenders but that shouldnt be to hard to change if you decide to :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

Thanks guys
rickairmedic wrote:Mike welcome to the club nice lookin truck you have there yep its got an 80's bed on it or at least the fenders but that shouldnt be to hard to change if you decide to :D.

Rick
Hard to change...no....hard to find...well...I'm not sure. LOL
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

We have another member in West By God Virginia with a 4X by the way Anthony may not be to far from you .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

rickairmedic wrote:We have another member in West By God Virginia with a 4X by the way Anthony may not be to far from you .

Rick
Awesome! Hopefully he will chime in.
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

What year frame and drivetrain does truck have? Looks lifted. Welcome,Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

totten wrote:What year frame and drivetrain does truck have? Looks lifted. Welcome,Tony
I was under the assumption it's the original frame. This may not be the case, after reading more and more here. It's a mild build 390 with 4 speed, and does have a 4" lift with 36" swampers.
1964WVFORD
United States of America

Post by 1964WVFORD »

Hillbilly66 wrote:
rickairmedic wrote:We have another member in West By God Virginia with a 4X by the way Anthony may not be to far from you .

Rick
Anthony is not the only person from WV on here. :D I am up near Beckley, WV and have owned several original 4x4 pickups (On #9 now)over the years and am currently restoring a original 63 F100 4x4. Just ask Anthony, I have been supplying his parts for his truck as well. :D

Welcome to the site Mike and hopefully we can all help you out on any questions you might have dealing with your slick.

Lewis
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

1964WVFORD wrote:
Hillbilly66 wrote:

Rick
Anthony is not the only person from WV on here. :D I am up near Beckley, WV and have owned several original 4x4 pickups (On #9 now)over the years and am currently restoring a original 63 F100 4x4. Just ask Anthony, I have been supplying his parts for his truck as well. :D

Welcome to the site Mike and hopefully we can all help you out on any questions you might have dealing with your slick.

Lewis
Lewis, too funny...this truck came from Beckley. LOL! I'm 20 miles south of Morgantown. I may certainly need to look you up for some parts if you have a boneyard. :D
1964WVFORD
United States of America

Post by 1964WVFORD »

I have to say that I can't remember seeing that truck around here before but there are alot of people around here with hidden projects so anything is possible.

One way to check to see if your truck is an original 4x4 is the vin number. It should start with F11 rather than F10 if it is original. F250 models start with F26 rather than F25. (F110 is F100 4x4, F260 is F250 4x4).

Just make a list of the parts you need and I will do my best to find them. I know of several trucks in salvage yards around here too. :D

Thanks.

Lewis
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

1964WVFORD wrote:I have to say that I can't remember seeing that truck around here before but there are alot of people around here with hidden projects so anything is possible.

One way to check to see if your truck is an original 4x4 is the vin number. It should start with F11 rather than F10 if it is original. F250 models start with F26 rather than F25. (F110 is F100 4x4, F260 is F250 4x4).

Just make a list of the parts you need and I will do my best to find them. I know of several trucks in salvage yards around here too. :D

Thanks.

Lewis
Awesome. Our truck is an F10 type, so not original 4x4. I will get me a list this week and see if you have any knowledge of anything laying around. Would certainly appreciate any help in the search. :D
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

The Vin is own the passenger side on top of frame rail. My truck was titled as a F100 but frame vin was F26. Your front axle looks orginial to me.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

First full day of work. And stupid me jumped right in to the mix without taking a before picture. But, to put it in perspective, you couldn't see any numbers through the haze on the gauge cluster, and the dash was a mix of primer and rust. Disassembled everything, including the switches that had been painted over years ago, and removed the plastiwelded gauge cluster and slowly, painstakingly disassembled it. Took all day to achieve this end result.

PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

Welcome from TX.

Seeing that picture of your truck makes me want to have a 4x4 slick.. Not much need for 4x4 around my area but I could move one day and need it. :)

Something that might help is take all the pictures you can now of the truck that way you don't have to worry about before pictures. :)
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Welcome from
K A N S A S
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

Hey Mike!! Welcome to the slickest site on the web!! If you are 2 hours south of morgantown, does that put you an hour or so above Charleston? Where are you at? I am in Huntington and am having a slick gathering in 2 weeks in cannonsburg KY at BB's cruise in. Looking have about 6 of us there. Glad to see another member in WV!! LOVE THOSE 4X4's!!! (PS, Lewis is the Man... lol)
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

Thanks everyone!

PFM- I will do that! Nice tip!! :D

Anthony wrote:Hey Mike!! Welcome to the slickest site on the web!! If you are 2 hours south of morgantown, does that put you an hour or so above Charleston? Where are you at? I am in Huntington and am having a slick gathering in 2 weeks in cannonsburg KY at BB's cruise in. Looking have about 6 of us there. Glad to see another member in WV!! LOVE THOSE 4X4's!!! (PS, Lewis is the Man... lol)
Anthony, I am 20 miles south of Morgantown. Little place called Grafton. Boy, I wish I could make that gathering, because you look to have a pretty nice 4x4 yourself! My truck is open header 390 right now, and only headlights...I'm sure the public would not like it on the road.... haha. Solid, solid truck, but lots of little stuff has to be taken care of before it sees pavement.