radiator deposits?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

radiator deposits?

Post by dotcentral »

I have a slightly used radiator. I bought it new about 5 years ago, put maybe a thousand miles on it. truck dies so pulled it out. got rid of the truck, new owner was not interested in the rad. I pulled it out to list on craigslist and noticed lots of white granular deposits, sort of looks like large sugar granules. These are only seen at the cap neck, looking down at the tubes. Poured a little bit of white vinegar and water in it, let it sit for about 5 minutes, than ran a water hose over and flushed it till water went from slightly orange to clear. This removed some of the deposits, but plenty still can be seen.

What is this stuff? Lime?

Is there a cheap, safe, non-destructive way to remove it? Maybe a good flushing like using a prestone type kit mounted in a truck, with truck at operating temperature?

Thanks.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: radiator deposits?

Post by bobenhotep »

Scrape some off and do some "scientific testing" to see if they dissolve in anything. They might dissolve in clr, soapy water, who knows? Flushing it in a truck like you said might do the trick too.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

CLR usually will clean up such deposits. There is also a product I've never tried called "Skunk Rust". It is sold for rust removal and protection as well as radiator cleaning. It appears to be a phosphoric acid product.
A web search will reveal more information, although I have yet to see any actual reviews.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Dot most likely its Calcium deposits from the water not a major deal .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D