"R.I.P Cal Worthington"

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

"R.I.P Cal Worthington"

Post by Shadow »

For Those Who Don't Know Who He Was. I Grew Up In Socal Watching These, A Lot Of Guys I Knew Bought Fords From Cal. "Go See Cal" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk
bmcgc
United States of America

Re: "R.I.P Cal Worthington"

Post by bmcgc »

Cal was a SoCal fixture for many decades. R.I.P. Cal.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

He had a Chevrolet dealership in Houston for a few years during one of the oil booms. Quite an interesting showman. Thanks, Lyman.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I remember his commercials in Houston!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Interesting Factoid. Cal Worthington Was A Pilot And Flew A B-17 Bomber During WW11. He Flew 29 Bombing Missions Over Germany. I Remember Watching "Kung-Fu Theater" On Saturday Afternoons In The Mid 1970's On Chanel-9 In L.A. And The Cheezy Kung-Fu Flicks Were Festooned With Cal Worthington's Cheezy Ad's.. :lol:
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

I can't get the video to play. I think he was the one who talked in his TV spots about his dog Spot, only Spot was a real live elephant behind him. Maybe some old time Houstonians can remember. Thanks, Lyman.
Supercab65

Post by Supercab65 »

Tha Cal Worthington dealership in Anchorage has been around for decades now too and is still huge.

In the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds" you can hear a Cal Worthington ad being played on the radio in one scene. I don't remember when in the movie it was; there were in an office.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Supercab65 wrote:In the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds" you can hear a Cal Worthington ad being played on the radio in one scene. I don't remember when in the movie it was; there were in an office.
"Gone In 60 Seconds" Was Filmed In And Around The South- Bay Area Of Los Angeles. I Watched The "Jump Scene" Over The Police Baracade Being Filmed Through The Fence Of The Redondo BMX Track When I Was 13-Years Old. Ascot Park Race Track In Gardena Is Also Featured In The Film. The Film Really Shows What The "South Bay Area" Was Like When It Was A Nice Place To Live. It Isn't Like That Anymore!