arm rest bolt hole locations?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

arm rest bolt hole locations?

Post by slixtyfive »

I'd like to add 'stock' arm rests to the interior of my doors. Does anyone have a door they can measure the hole locations so I can drill those before painting???

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by slixtyfive on January 17, 2014, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Leeroy
Australia

Re: adding interior arm rests

Post by Leeroy »

I don't know if you have access to any old or new ones, but the custom cab door cards have the holes in just the right place for the arm rest bolts.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Also, if I remember correctly the door handles screw into a small welded tab welded right in a groove in the door. they aren't screwed into the flat skin, its down in the low groove, its been awhile so I could have that wrong.. Also I don't really think it would be necessary to completely mimic that . But that is how I THINK it was done.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Just bringing this back to the top in case anyone new is watching...... :popcorn:
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
ironminer

Re: arm rest bolt hole locations?

Post by ironminer »

I can look tonight, Mine has original holes drilled in the door.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

That would be great - also please note how large (diameter) the holes are.

Thanks much!
ironminer

Post by ironminer »

Hope this helps, I didn't have much time yesterday to sit and write it all out
ironminer

Post by ironminer »

it's almost 5 1/2" apart exactly btw
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Slixtyfive, here is another set of doors with what appears to be stock drilled holes. I would greatly advise making the holes a threaded insert or using some sort of threaded clip for a bolt.. screws really don't seem to hold the armrest as nicely in place in my opinion.

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Would 66 Custom Cab interior trim be correct for 65 Custom Cab? I may do the same addition to my 65 and add the trim also.
Chris
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Interesting - the holes in the blue door appear to be on the 'bottom half' of the indentation while the holes in the red door appear to be on the 'top half' of the indentation. Hole sizes appear to be different as well (might just be an illusion).

The tape measure is pretty fuzzy so it's hard to tell the exact placement but the 5-1/2" C-to-C helps.

I guess I hadn't thought yet about the fasteners, just wanting to get the holes drilled before paint. Was the factory fastener a bolt through the arm rest into a clip? I was thinking a bolt with a washer/lock nut on the back side??
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I have seen doors with what appears to be a welded tab with a threaded insert .. It looked correct not aftermarket. But I can't say they didn't do it different ways. Screws will work if you use decent sized ones with the right size holes...
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Fractory was a bent piece, about 5/8 with 1/4 bent so the screw went at angle to door, hold up in door and install screw.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
ironminer

Post by ironminer »

One thing I noticed is the orange truck is (64-66) mine is a 63, Not sure if that might be the difference? I can get specific measurements this weekend if you would like?
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

If you are using the custom cab door trim and panel you can see exactly where the holes need to be because they always came with arm rests as part of the package I think.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

It looks like the rear hole is about 1" from the back end of the indentation and that will probably be 'close enough' for me but if you do get a chance to take a measurement for that dim or from the back edge of the door it certainly wouldn't hurt to have more info....

Thanks
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Ironminer - were you able to get any additional measurements?

Thanks