Brake lights only work if...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cosmo

Brake lights only work if...

Post by cosmo »

My brake lights only work if I manually keep the turn signal lever "centered" (it wants to fall a little below center due to gravity and age). If I center it or if I wiggle it slightly around the centered position it will work. If I neglect to do this, either only one or neither of my brake lights work.

So, I think it's the turn signal switch in the column, but I wanted to see if this is common. if it is indeed the switch or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Also it I buy a switch, any recommendations? i have a 1966 F100 3 on the tree

thanks
Cosmo
charliemccraney

Re: Brake lights only work if...

Post by charliemccraney »

The brake wiring goes through the turn signal switch first, so it probably is a worn out switch.

If you're up for some research/trial and error, you can see if you can adapt the '73-'77 switch, with built in flasher switch. I did it, but not for 3 on the tree. Very clean, and it looks like it came that way.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10478&
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Hazdri
United States of America

Post by Hazdri »

Turn Switch # C9TZ-13341-C

Just changed mine out last week to so to get it inspected and on the road. Purchased mine from MAC's for around $30.

Charlie's idea looks good and I may look at that if I have to do it again.
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Hazdri wrote:Turn Switch # C9TZ-13341-C

Just changed mine out last week to so to get it inspected and on the road. Purchased mine from MAC's for around $30.

So i take it the 'Mac' switch is working good fer ya. Thought about doing just that on my slick and to replace the current signal-stat running auxillary turn signal lights. When i bought my truck last year all of the wires had been cut going into the old switch and i had to wire everything back up thru the signal-stat.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1966 Ford F250 Custom Cab {Longbox}
1996 Toyota Camry {Wifes ride}
1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}
1975 Harley Davidson XLH {Groundpounder}
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe {Nostalgia} Almost home 'girl'

In memory of Donald G. Roswell- My freind and 'brother'.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

thanks and great write up!
Hazdri
United States of America

Post by Hazdri »

Limestone66 wrote:
Hazdri wrote:Turn Switch # C9TZ-13341-C

So i take it the 'Mac' switch is working good fer ya. Thought about doing just that on my slick and to replace the current signal-stat running auxillary turn signal lights. When i bought my truck last year all of the wires had been cut going into the old switch and i had to wire everything back up thru the signal-stat.
So far so good.

Lucky for me the turn switch was just about the only wires the PO hadn't cut. I did take a lot of photos while taking it apart for reference on putting it back together. If you think about doing that, I could send you the ones showing the proper pattern.
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Thanks pal. All of the wires are color coded and were cut at the base of the steering column. Dont know if the Mac switch wires are coded factory correct, but i dont see a problem installing the new switch. If i do, i'll holler at ya. :) :) :)
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1966 Ford F250 Custom Cab {Longbox}
1996 Toyota Camry {Wifes ride}
1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}
1975 Harley Davidson XLH {Groundpounder}
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe {Nostalgia} Almost home 'girl'

In memory of Donald G. Roswell- My freind and 'brother'.