Time for a new Starter

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Swimholm

Time for a new Starter

Post by Swimholm »

so I've gotten to the point where i need to replace my starter. (I got tired of doing the old push start. Anyway, I went and bought a new starter (pretty cheap) and when i looked at it, there was just a big rod sticking out of it. And thats when i realized i might have just gotten in over my head

Now im about to go pull my old starter. And the guy at the stor said i have to take something off it and put it on my new one, and its a difficult thing to do

So anyone think they can give me a play-by-play?? Please

I guess once i get the old unit out of the truck ill know a little more of what im dealing with

Thanks ahead of time

-Dave
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Motor????
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

292, w/ 3 speed manual

pics soon to come
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

heres a pic of the 2 starters (old and new)

heres a close up of the gear teeth slightly pulled apart

and here is another close up with the teeth together

i think the problem might be that the teeth have been rounded off, cause the starter to "miss" Since the actually starter was so cheap $25, i might as well keep the new one and use it.

As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking about going on ahead and replacing the bendix cause im not sure its worth going through the hassel of trying to get it off and put it on the new one. It might be worth it to just replace it as well

thanks
-Dave
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

That piece is your starter drive, or "Bendix" & it looks broken. The drive is supposed to be retracted when it's sitting still. The position it's in now, it would be engaging the flywheel to start the engine.
If I recall, it's held onto the shaft with a roll pin, although I could be wrong.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

its actaully not broken, i pulled it apart to get a better look at it

now i cant get it back together, but i new bendix is only $15 so i went ahead and had the parts guy order me another one
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Swimholm,
Just for reference for those of us with trusty old 292s...where did you get the starter and Bendix? Part numbers??
Thanks,
AJ
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

I got them at O'reilly's but i have no idea what the part numbers are, theres a guy at my local parts store thats real good

Ill see if i cant figure em out for you tho
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Much Appreciated Sir!! :)
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
jeffw

starter

Post by jeffw »

that looks exactly like my starter on the ol 223,, wounder if they are really the same,,
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Have to be careful on the 223 starters, there were two length of the shaft sticking out. Also have heard something about a starter from a 390 possibly working on a 223.
Fred
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

just an update, the bendix the parts store guys order was for the wrong type of starter. so after looking through some books with them we found the right one, bad news it cost about $60

i think the part number for the starter is ULT 03-0214

let me know if thats right or not, its the number on the side of the box
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

well the new start/bendix assembly does not seem to be working

I accidentily pulled the bendix apart like the old one in the pisture, and the directions said you shouldn't but if you did then the first time you start the car, it would retract, but the damn thing wont spin up

Ive even tried pushing down my appt parking lot, then running to catch up hop in the cab and pop the clutch in the first gear, and the thing wont start

It looks like im Digressing

Any help? Please

if i took the starter to Auto ZOne, to have it tested, when they spin it up would that close the bendix?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Dave.
If I can help you out with that starter, please get in touch.
I'm in Pearland off 288, BT is over on Dixie Farm Road in Pearland/ Friendswood, RatFinkMike is in Friendswood, Little Richard (owns Black Betty) is in Friendswood, Doug Brown, Max lives in NASA, and several others are down there close to you too.
There is quite a bit of expertise floating around the south part of Houston.
You are not alone :D
Drop me a line, let me know what your e-mail address is and I'll put you on the contact list for cruises and such.
Glad to have you in the Lone Star group. It gets bigger by the day :wink:
U@ss
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

fmartin_gila wrote:Have to be careful on the 223 starters, there were two length of the shaft sticking out. Also have heard something about a starter from a 390 possibly working on a 223.
Fred

I had to buy a stater for the 223 that is now in the Uni back when it was in the 64. Took the starter in, the one that fit was listed for a 352, go figure.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Just looking at my notes. I have written down Starter Drive C2AZ 11350-C (Motorcraft SD132 May be NAPA) SLICK 60s MSN Group 11/19/2005 Garbz Starter Answer 390 starter will replace? much cheaper FE Engine Don't have to flop ring gear 352 360 390 same? 65 66 67?

As I stated, these are notes I have written for possible future reference. The starter in my 223 has been working good since the day I got it, so I haven't had the need to check any of this.

As I understand it, the V8 type starter will engage the ring gear teeth from the front instead of being pulled in from the rear, thus biting into new teeth edges and eliminating the necessity of flopping the ring gear (might be easier than pulling tranny and clutch etc. in case the teeth are chewed up.

As stated, this may turn out to be BS.

If any one does make use of any of this info and it does work out, PLEASE post about it(including any part numbers) so others can benefit. Thank you.

Fred
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

alright so ive been busy lately so i havent had time to work this problem out, now im back on it

I accidentally extended the bendix into the starting position and now i can get it back in. The directions said that if you extend the bendix then when you put the starter in it will retract the first time you start it, so its no big deal

So i put it in with the extended bendix, and she tries to spin up, but just wont. I tried push starting it but a no go.

So does anyone know how to retract the bendix?

Im thinking of going up to the parts store and asking them to do a starter test and see if their machine will spin it up and retract the gear?

any other suggestions?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Sorry guys.
I just saw this post so I looked up the part number in my master parts catalog (1963 Ford Truck Catalog).
The Ford part number for the 223 starter motor and drive assembly is Autolite B8C-11002-A.
Also listed is a part number for the 223/ 272/ 292/ 312 C2AZ-1102-A and states that you need to use it with the Ford C2AZ-11350-B starter drive assembly.
Try NPD, Carolina Classics and Carpenter if you can't find a crossover at your local parts house.
Take note, the Falcon 144-170 6-cylinder part number is almost the same but don't use it.... C2DZ-11002-A - IT WON'T WORK.
I hope this helps you out.
U@ss
Swimholm

Post by Swimholm »

im starting to think ive got the worng starter motor, or bendix or both

i cant start my truck with the assembly ive got, And i cant even spin it up, not even if i try to jump it

what a pain in the arse
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Well, I can tell you that the FE starter is not the one you need for a 223.
They do not interchange.