one barrel paper elements??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeffw

one barrel paper elements??

Post by jeffw »

hey guys,,I've seen some of the slicks in here with 223cid and the ol massive one barrel carb,, I don't really know the measurements to the carb. I'm sure Napa or Hedauls has one but what size is the paper air filter setup? got the ol oil bath messy got no time to clean fossil thing on er yet,, kinda what to upgrade just a little bit....
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I just went to a Mr Gasket 1 bbl open element type on my 223. Quick $14 fix!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

I converted my 64's oil bath air cleaner to a paper element. I cut out the steel mesh. then i welded an 1/8 steel plate to the inside of the top housing where the wire mesh once was. you only need a few tacks to weld it on. The plate is meant to give it a flat surface for the air filter to sit on. I then found a replacement paper air filter at autozone the right size so it would look stock. the paper element came from one of the chrome replacement air cleaner boxes. I couldnt find one on their regular air cleaner shelf. I wanted a filter that would allow my housing to sit in the old "bath" housing like it was stock and the right one just happened to be part of those small chrome air cleaner kits. my truck is in storage right now. I plan to go out there in a few days. I'll try to get measurements and pics.
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

I converted the oil Bath filters on my old 55 Fairlane and my Slick. I just cut out the guts and installed a suitable sized K & N filter into the original housing. Much better breathing for the old Y Blocks, plus it looks bone stock if you're into that sort of thing. K & N has just about any size you'd ever need. Just measure the diameter and height of your air cleaner and order one to fit.

[albumimg]2426[/albumimg] [albumimg]2591[/albumimg]

There ya go!
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Yeah, unless you are wanting to keep the old oilbath unit for nostalgia sake, then just gut it out. I used a metal blade on my jig saw.

There are several places that have air filter size listings -- I used Baldwin -- and then cross reffed to a NapaGold.

Rather than weld up extra stuff, I found a size that fit well at the bottom and then I topped it with a nice peice of good grade plywood cut in a circle with a hole just large enough to allow the threaded rod through. On that, sits the top part of the old breather.

Looks stock.

I also had one of the Mr. Gasket units. The base has a plastic adaptor that will break after a year or two. POS if you ask me.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
jeffw

ford

Post by jeffw »

Yukon I said gooowwwddaaanggg on those vehicles!!! hey partner if you could repair a vehicle in that order the way you did I'm humbled that you'd let me have the vehicle you posted,,,,I'm sorry,,,, must be wishin online here!! any way, that is somthin to consider,,, really,,, it looks bone stock,,,,,yet holds a secret paper filter,,,, sweeeet dude!! hey greg ,,, stepside,, cdherman thanks for the insight,,, definite step forward in slickdom,,,someday my slick will be complete,, NOT LOOKIN FORWARD TO IT,,, gives me a sence of duty,,LOL