Alternator Harness?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

GJ1963

Alternator Harness?

Post by GJ1963 »

I got my '65 out today after it has sat over most of the summer. I plan on driving as my daily driver over winter now. I replaced the alternator, as it was pretty corroded looking and had a bad capacitor that made the radio buzz. Nice and quiet now with a new one. I noticed the output wire had gotten hot at some point in the long past and melted through the insulation in spots. I would like to replace the harness going from the alt to the voltage regulator etc... I do not see new ones available, or am I looking in the wrong place? Should I look for used?

Thanks
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Alternator Harness?

Post by bobenhotep »

cool! someone else in New Mexico.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

Tom's bronco parts sells the pigtail for the regulator. I have always wired the Ford alternator slightly different than factory. Run a large wire from the alternator to the solenoid, and hook the A wire from the regulator to the solenoid also. It accomplishes the same thing as the splices do stock, but puts all of the load on the main wire, and the harness and regulator pretty much control the whole thing, but don't do any grunt work.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

Rockauto also sells it. they sell both the alternator end and the regulator end. You have to splice in your own wire between, or pull the connectors out of the plug and build a harness.

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI

Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.mrmustangparts.com/product/6 ... -wiring-v8

Is this what you are looking for ?

Danny
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

That appears to be it! I may make my own or just splice in new wiring to what is there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

The rest of the story.....
Cold windy day here - without many plans. Decided to dig into this. I was completely wrong on the wire - but hadn't been able to tell what it was since it was all burned up. I pulled the harness out and stripped it down. The wire that was burned was a ground wire from the regulator all the way around to the engine block below the Alt. Added a new ground wire, connectors on the end, and re-wrapped and re-installed it. Good as new now.
Thanks for all the replies.

On another note --
I have just about had this truck for a year now. It has come a long way.
Where it sat for thirty years:
And now...