Cut springs = how much drop

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Danimal
United States of America

Re: Cut springs = how much drop

Post by Danimal »

I wanted to measure the correct pinion angle. I have not found that information listed on this forum...yet.

I've hear the leaf pack should be welded, but not found any information on this.
Plan on spending more time on it this week to inspect and adjust set up as needed.

Also, I'm adding new shocks made for lowered vehicles.
The weathers here, wish you were beautiful.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

when you flip or put your axel above the springs your stock spring perches will be on the top side of axel tube. you must weld a new set of perches on the bottom of the axel tube , when you are doing this you need to make sure the pinion and out put shaft from tranny are parallel to each other or rear end could be tilted slightly towards the tranny . this will be your pinion angle , no way to tell what degree it would be up front to set beforhand , If you just hap hazardly weld the perches anywhere you probably would have a bad vibration, so this needs to be done at assembly time. if you google " drive line angles/ pinion angle " you will finf info. :2cents:

Danny
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Good information, I appreciate it Danny.

The angle is what I'm currently working on.
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

I'm just catching up with this discussion. Question re the front springs since lowering is a hot topic with me at the moment.

You said you cut two coils from the springs, how much clearance do you now have between the beams and the chassis bump stops? My truck has new coils springs at OEM height and I've measured 55-60mm clearance. Unless I'm missing something you must be riding on the bump stops.....
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Ewie, I am not riding on the stock bump stops. I purchased thinner bump stops from a suspension dealer that fit where the old ones were located (did this for the back too). This will provide the clearance needed. With that being said, when I hit large bump or speed bump the beams d hit hte new bump stops.

I try and avoid large bumps.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Danimal any chance you remember how much clearance there is between the beam and your new bump stop?

How's the ride now? Any bump steer?
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Leeroy- There is approximately 1.75" of travel in the front. I have not really encountered much bump steer. Only over a few large humps in the road has it happened. On an average drive maybe twice I encountered it. I have only taken it on short cruises around town.

I have a longer cruise coming up this weekend, and can update with my experience.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

In addition. I purchased the rear axle brackets, to ensure the rear end sat correctly. Then measured the pinion angle and secured all in place(thank you for the advice on this one).

New U bolts, new bolts and washers, new bump stops.

I currently have $200 in the whole project.
Around 8 total hours working on it.

I am purchasing new shocks this week and will install, this will drive the price up, but improve the ride.
Getting shocks for lowered vehicles. $65-$80 each.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

That's great to know.
Interested to hear how your long trip goes!
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Update.

After working through some timing/starting issues (glad that is over) I finally took my truck for a longer cruise.

Results:

Rear end does hit the new bump stops on large bumps and holes in the road, and when slowly going over speed bumps, all of which I suspected would happen. (side note, I removed spare from under the rear of the truck, placed in bed)

However while cruising down the hwy here in Austin there were not any issues with hitting bump stops or control. I was doing between 60-65mph, and not once did I hit bump stops. Felt pretty smooth and I enjoyed the ride.

To remedy the bump stop issue when on side streets with holes and big dips, I'm purchasing new shocks that are made for lowered vehicles, stiffer ride. I think will help limit the rear from hitting the bump stops. I will update once installed this week.
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Problem we have here is mostly bumpy roads.... motorways tend to be pretty smooth....

I'm keen to see some pics of the front suspension? How much did you end up dropping and did you manage to "correct" the camber?
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

I will update with pics of the front suspension. The entire truck is level, and sits 9" of the ground.
The first place I took my Slick to for alignment could not perform the task.

The second place (older frame and axle shop) had no issues.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Update:

Installed Procomp ES9000 shocks in the rear. This eliminated and hitting of the bump stops, even over speed bumps.

However the ride is bouncy when going down a bumpy road. It also raised the rear 1-1.5".
I may relocate the shock mounts to eliminate the bounce. It's not bad, I just don't like it.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Shocks should not raise the ride height any noticeable amount. I'm not familiar with the ProComps, but it sounds as if you have gas shocks which are too long for your ride height. That probably is also causing the "bounciness". Relocating the mounts to allow the shocks to center in their travel should help
On another note; are you going to the Lone Star Roundup?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

I don't think they are gas shocks, but I will check and see.

Oh yeah, I'm going to Lone Star Round Up. Are you doing the garage crawl on Friday morning?
I will be also attending the Top Notch Burger get together Sat night before So Co.