Trouble removing old undercoating

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shillinghill

Trouble removing old undercoating

Post by Shillinghill »

I was having trouble removing the thick old undercoating from the underbody of my '65. Igot out my multitool with a flat blade worked great, not effortless but better than anything else I tried. Hope this helps others who are struggling with removing undercoating.When I mentioned multitool, it's electric with vibrating head for cutting & sanding. Mine is Craftsman I'm sure there is other brands. You can usually buy them pretty reasonable with all the attachments. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Shillinghill on January 22, 2014, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foodstick

Re: Trouble removing old undercoating

Post by foodstick »

It will either fall off, or hang on like a son of a gun, I have used scrapers,screw drivers, and gasket remover tools. I know some people use a torch to soften it as it goes...
LM14
United States of America

Re: Trouble removing old undercoating

Post by LM14 »

We used to try a lot of things years ago when building stock cars.

Torch and putty knife, messy but fairly easy. Smells bad, fills shop with smoke.

On something like a floorboard. Put dry ice on it. Let it sit for a while and smack the floorboards with a big dead blow hammer and watch it fall off, sweep up the pile. I have seen one hammer blow clean off the entire left half of the floorpan on an '86 t-bird unibody. I've also seen it have absolutely no effect at all.

Fun stuff,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!