What size are the holes in steering wheel for pulling it?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdherman

What size are the holes in steering wheel for pulling it?

Post by cdherman »

I think the subject about says it. I tried all over to find the answer by searching.

I have a steering puller and the bolts seemed a little tight, but I figured it was just crud, so I horsed them in a little ways, but not too far.

And then they pulled out when I gave the puller some torque.

So, I either used the wrong bolts or I didn't put them in far enough. In any case, I need to chase the threads with a tap and try again and I want to be certain what size is correct.

So who knows?

Thanks fellas.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

5/16 X 24 is standard on most FoMoCo wheel hubs prior to '79 Dave

FBp
Change is the Only Constant
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Great. Too bad the hardware store is closed. I buggered the bolts up as well, so I am going to chase the threads in the holes and find some nice new bolts tomorrow, and perhaps I can get that bugger off. Tried beating on it a little, but that was fruitless and I was afraid I'd mushroom the shaft (yes, I had the nut backed off, so that it would protect the threads, but even so, it wasn't moving.......

The wheel in question is from a column that I liberated last week. The wheel is in decent shape, so I hate to ruin it with my inept techniques.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have a universal puller with three different sets of bolts if you want to use it. it worked for my 76 f150 and should work for your application.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Interesting...

Since Pete's post, I went out and chased the threads with a 5/16x24 tap. Worked fine.

Then I looked at my "universal puller". It did not have 5/16x24 (fine) bolts with it. Does yours?

I wonder how many other folks have threaded a 5/16 coarse (which is what my "universal puller" came with) and got the wheel off and just assumed that the threads were getting a little old.

I recall now that I had some trouble with taking a wheel off 4 years ago as well, when I originally bought the set.

It should be cried from the mountains that ford uses a 5/16x24 bolt and that at least some "universal pullers" ain't very universal.......

You learn new stuff all the time......

Thanks for the offer -- I think I am all set, except for a trip to the hardware store.

After that all I need is the wiring harness plug and bracket that holds it all to the dash. Fraid I'll need to do some junk yarding for that stuff.

FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

FWIW Dave,
I replaced all my "pulling bolts with A&N if I can find 'em long enough, otherwise I use grade #8s. But all the bolts that come with those Univ Pullers are soft & stretch or strip at some point. Since Bolts are cheaper than Strg wheel hubs I've been collecting bolts as I go along & haven't hurt a threaded boss in years now. :lol:

Another hint is use a thick stainless washer between the pull bolt head & your puller & you won't gore or gouge it up. . .

Also I've learned to tap the holes out before I try to thread anything into them, I have a bottoming tap, but a regular 5/16X24 with the taper ground off will work just fine. Pre Tapping is critical to me, 'specially on the Older ones. You don't want to know why I have come to go through all that, or perhaps you already have a good Idea and almost do know. :thumright:

The other thing I have learned is lubricate freely B4 threading in! secret.gif

Once you have good tension on the bolts by tightening the center bolt, take a 16 or 20 oz Ballpeen & give center pressure bolt of puller a "smart" dead blow, whack on the top. The wheel should "POP" loose right then.

Metric Wheels give me fits, my industrial Fastener supply house always
"Raggs" on me when I come looking for wierd metric bolts for doing stuff like this. . . .

FBp Bolt.gif
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The wheel came off nice and smooth this evening, with the correct 5/16x24 bolts.

Unfortunately, the PO had removed the wheel once with a hammer and the end of the steering shaft is mushroomed some (no, I did NOT bang on it that hard).

Oh, Pete, great guru of all things Ford, tell me what the threads are on the steering shaft so can get a die and clean up those threads as well. They are fine for sure, some sort of "really fine" Grrrrrrr...

FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Dave, I'm not really sure, except I know it's a Standard, NFT type, machine thread. :hm:

If you have a local "fastener jobber" or Nut, Bolts & Screws store walk in with the
Nut and have them check it with a thread gauge.
You'll probably need to buy a die that size anyway. . :roll:

I would guess it's a 3/4 NFT (National Fine Thread), if I had to tho. :thumright:

Bolt.gif FBp
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Might could use a thread restoring file on it.

There cost is about the same as a large die and are handy to have around.
You get 4 thread sizes per file and they work well.

They make a handy thread gauge also.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Just trying to finish some old threads. Question was the bolt size and thread count of the steering shaft, 65-78.

The correct answer is:

5/8" NF That's 18 TPI

Finally got my threader a week or so ago and got them all cleaned up.

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I use the bolts that holds the fan blade/spacer on which is 5/16 fine thread
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

:iagree:
read thru the entire post but that was the first thing i thought of too.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I have a snap-on rethreader kit that covers alot of metric and american threads fine and course, saved me many times, they don't cut new threads but restore the old ones.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS