exhaust tip opinions please

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

randyr

Re: exhaust tip opinions please

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:
I had figured that I would put the license plate on a slide to come down when the key turns on and goes away when it turns off but AZ has a law that says that the bottom of the plate has to be at least 12" above the ground so that might be a problem. :?

Kevin

Look at my post in this thread on Feb. 16...... :)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Nice work Kev!, you don`t sleep much do you! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

Just remember the bigger the "tip" the louder it will be!! Ask me how I know!!
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Alan Mclennan wrote:Nice work Kev!, you don`t sleep much do you! :lol:

Alan, I try not to sleep, it isn't very productive. :lol:

aarons428 wrote:Just remember the bigger the "tip" the louder it will be!! Ask me how I know!!

Even at the back of the truck, it will be louder??

randyr wrote:
kstones63 wrote:
I had figured that I would put the license plate on a slide to come down when the key turns on and goes away when it turns off but AZ has a law that says that the bottom of the plate has to be at least 12" above the ground so that might be a problem. :?

Kevin

Look at my post in this thread on Feb. 16...... :)

Randy, With the truck as low as it will be, the license plate will probably be less than 12" above the ground with those brackets. I will have to get it back down on the ground, get it set to final ride height and check it at that time.
I really don't want to inset it in the tailgate. Looks to much like an import truck.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
randyr

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:
Randy, With the truck as low as it will be, the license plate will probably be less than 12" above the ground with those brackets. I will have to get it back down on the ground, get it set to final ride height and check it at that time.
I really don't want to inset it in the tailgate. Looks to much like an import truck.

Kevin

You're thinking about the wrong post, Kev. I don't like them inset in the tailgate either. I'm talking about a different style of retractable..... check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G99aZTDtE0
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Randy, You are right about that one. It would solve the problem of the height. I would have to make sure that it retracted when the key is off or he wouldn't be able to open the tailgate.

Kevin
kstones63
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

kstones63 wrote:I would have to make sure that it retracted when the key is off or he wouldn't be able to open the tailgate.

Why not put a door switch on the tail gate, so when the tailgate opens, the plate will retract?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

Kevin it might not be louder in the cab but behind it and around it yes will be louder!!

Any tip bigger than the pipe will act like a megaphone and will amplify the sound.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

i like the look but agree it is going to act as a megaphone. one way to solve that is to run the pipes part way into the cavity and spray everything inside black to hide it. you could also use a metal mesh screen of sorts to hide everything within the cavity. many super cars do something similar. you can still chrome the outer and black out the mesh insert.

i've been fighting the exhaust theory myself. the center cut where the tag should be makes a nice dump area. but then you have to move the tag. combine that with i plan to out a hitch on mine for towing a small vintage 12ft or so camper. i've seen multi tips exiting there and it looked good but take away as said tag and spot for hitch exit.

i've been thinking a cavity such as yours or fake it with 3 tips. the 2 outter tips actually being functional and the middle being a dummy that was a slide in hitch cover. pull out the dummy and have access to using the hitch. rest of the time it looks like a tri tip set up.

also considered exiting in front of or behind the rear wheel exiting through the body with a nice stainless surround rivited to the body....

all thats a long way away. i got ALOT of floors to repair first hahaha....
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Hey Kevin... that looks sweet.
Does AZ have a law that says the license plate has to be visible when parked?? I believe in California it has to be visible when parked... otherwise how are they going to make money on out of date tags????
Doug
Riverside, CA
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

aarons428 wrote:Kevin it might not be louder in the cab but behind it and around it yes will be louder!!

Any tip bigger than the pipe will act like a megaphone and will amplify the sound.

I can see where that would be like a megaphone. It makes sense now.
Maybe I can run the pipes into it part way to quiet it down some.

64Ranger wrote:Hey Kevin... that looks sweet.
Does AZ have a law that says the license plate has to be visible when parked?? I believe in California it has to be visible when parked... otherwise how are they going to make money on out of date tags????

I just checked with my other son and he is going to check the laws here to see if that will be a problem but he thinks that it will be.
Crap, Now what do I do?????

Kevin
kstones63