ANOTHER EXPLORER REAR END QUESTION

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mikec66
Canada

ANOTHER EXPLORER REAR END QUESTION

Post by mikec66 »

Hi guys, I ve read a bit on swapping a 90's explorer diff into a slick. I have a 64 that i just put a mustang 2, 351w and c6 into. I want to put disc brakes in, and was wondering if you have done a diff swap what worked for you?. i read that explorer diffs have an offset pumpkin, and the track width is to short. wouldnt an offset pumpkin cause too much u joint angle?. then some guys say they just bolt in. i need a 5 on 4.5 bolt circle and want disc brakes. I could buy a disc brake kit but they are about 500 - 1000 bucks compared to a used diff for 200. any info would be great
thanks
mike :D
Toyz
United States of America

Re: ANOTHER EXPLORER REAR END QUESTION

Post by Toyz »

The offset pretty well matches that of our engines and trans. It's a good conversion IMO, especially if you want to run wide wheels. The later models had IRS, another popular swap source.
I don't believe your horizontal joint angle would exceed the vertical angles even if the offset were reversed, although certainly not an issue in this case.
If you have the ability to fabricate your spring mounts; it might be cheaper than a brake kit, as far as the axle components go.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

as said it is a touch on the narrow side but great if you want to run deeper wheels out back.

another cool trick is the tubes are just spot slugged to the center chunk. you can drill those out and used a second "long side" tube and axle to make a wider and centered version. then you can put the other back together with using the "short side" from the first and throw it up for sale on c'list as a "narrowed 8.8" hahaha....

alot of trouble when if it's to narrow you can just run 1" spacer/adapters and get the same 2" wider you'd get with the switch... but if you're a guy that just likes to do things to say ya did thats fun to....
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

It's likely to be more expensive than an older Expolorer diff, but the last several years of Rangers (2010 thru 2013) had both 7.5 & 8.8 with disc available.........and it shouldn't have nearly as much pinion offset as the Explorer
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

jamesdfo wrote:but the last several years of Rangers (2010 thru 2013) had both 7.5 & 8.8 with disc available
My daily driver is a Ford Ranger. 4x4, ext cab, 4.0 liter, 5sd, with the 7.5 diff and 4.10 gears.
I have put over 180,000 miles on the truck and have used it as a truck. The 7.5 diff has held up well, but if you are going to use your truck as a truck and plan to haul weight, the axle bearings in the 7.5 are just not large enough. I would stay with the 8.8 :2cents:
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

ranger guys have swaped to explorer rears for years. no way i'd go that direction.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

An option you might consider is the early-80's F100 axles and an aftermarket disc brake kit for same. Might be a little more money up front, but a lot easier installation. There is also a wide selection of 4 on 4.5 rotors and oem calipers which could be easily adapted. I believe the basic after-market kit is $300.00, excluding lines and master/booster, etc; which would be needed whichever way you go.
That would also give you the option of doing the axles now, brakes later, if you preferred.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
mikec66
Canada

Post by mikec66 »

hey guys, thanks for the feedback
:D
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

It isn't that difficult to swap the Explorer discs onto a 9" diff (assuming the 9" has the same 2.5" offset from housing flange to axle flange (wheel mounting surface)
The bolt pattern on the end of the early 9" housing will be different, but a friend of mine did it to the 9" in his '29 Essex coupe by welding plugs into the Explorer backing plates, then redrilling them to match the 9" housings ends.....
cooter

Post by cooter »

the offset pinion will not create any problems in a diff swap. You do not want your driveshaft and pinion in a perfectly straight line as vibration and reduced u joint life is likely to happen from my experience
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether
loosrp

Post by loosrp »

If your interested in an aftermarket disc brake kit and re-drilled 5-4.5" axles I do have this stuff available. PM me if your interested.
Russ