I'm new and have lots of questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RED

I'm new and have lots of questions

Post by RED »

Just found this nifty site and am very happy to find it. The first vehicle I ever own was a 61 unicab and am fortunate to still have it. Needs some restoration, and I should be starting on it soon. The thing is it has had some work done by previous owner. The entire front end rearend and engine are from an 84 or 86 marquis. Everything down to the power windows, seats, cruise control, even smog control. I am having a hard time deciding if I should start all over or upgrade and modernize. I love the fuel injection so I know that is staying, but do I keep the IFS from the merc? What about the 302, I don't know if it is the police interceptor or not. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions and hopefully someone will have at least suggestions. Thanks
Phil

Post by Phil »

Welcome!

Some pics would be sweet.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Howdy Red welcome.gif
You should be able to get lots of good advice here on anything from mild to wild modifications to these old trucks.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

:iagree: what ford4jack said and also Welcome aboard Red. :welcome: :hello:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

Welcome to the Slicks :welcome:
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Welcome aboard! :welcome:

I'd say that if those swaps are already done, I'd leave it. Just fine-tune the whole arrangement...I'd chuck the emission stuff too. :lol:
Plenty of folks do those IFS swaps intentionally to make a more hiway friendly truck...and to get it lower, so it sounds like someone has already done the hard work for you. :)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Welcome!

The Crown Vic/Marquis frame swap is an excellent way to lower a uni and get disc brakes and power steering. I've looked into it myself a time or two, as I have an '87 Grand Marquis taking up space at the moment. Some other members have done it as well. Let's see some pics! I think I'd keep it as is, provided it's done well.

As far as I know, police-package Crown Vics of that vintage were equipped with 351's, not 302's. Some of the chassis upgrades included stiffer springs, bigger rear brakes, and larger-diameter sway bars. I'm not sure all of that was available in a Merc though.

If your motor is the same one that came with the Merc, then it's likely the low-output 150-horse version. In that case you might want to look into a cam and a set of heads to wake it up.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Really glad to have you. Now, where are you located. You'll probably find someone near you and that is part of the fun of this group.
U@ss in Houston
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
az63pu

Post by az63pu »

Welcome, this is a wealth of info here....

mark
RED

warm welcome

Post by RED »

thanks for the welcome and im in the midwest lincoln ne, go Huskers