If you could change your motor ...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

Re: If you could change your motor ...

Post by Oregoon »

36truck wrote:Wow talk about a bolt together car. Looks like it will be a great cruiser.
Ain't that the truth! Whenever I get bogged-down or frustrated by one of my amateur projects, I go to Seriestrek and gain a some perspective and inspiration. I've had a soft-spot for Land Rovers since my dad used to drive one when I was a boy in Northern Scotland and that one is about as well-done as they come.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:DT466 is a bit heavy for the front of an f350
better suited to an f500 or f600

international scouts used nissan turbo diesels for a few years, though they are a few less hp than a 223 6

early cummins 6bt would be my choice

the slicks with diesels used a dagenham, almost bought one, got there too late but another member has it and i rode in it at ss4 and was quite impressed.
I've seen a DT466 in a '79 F350 at the annual Brooks, OR ATHS Truck Show. Aside from steam-trolleys and beautiful semis of all years and makes, there's a lot of strange projects on display. The truck in question featured front springs, hangers, and shackles of an assuredly heavier-than-stock variety. The owner said it got good fuel economy, and would tow his huge 5th-wheel RV "like it's not even there."

That truck aside, there was also a '78 F250 4x4 with a Deutz air-cooled diesel under the hood. Talk about wild!
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

When I was in the Vocational School Diesel class we had an Onan (Cummins) version of the 6BT that i think was the predecessor of the Doge Cummins. It was out of a step van with a Chevrolet chassis. I always wanted to take that engine and put in something. It was simple and had a turbo! Best of all,it bolted right into a Chevy's place. With the newer 5 speed trans and a good radiator from a donor truck I would be all set. That would be a great swap to replace my 352. Maybe someday........
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
billva

Post by billva »

I put a Mercedes om617 in my 66 last year. Has the Mercedes auto trans, and Crown Vic suspension front and rear.

Handles like a dream, and gets 25-30 mpg.

I just picked up the style side bed a few weeks ago.

It's not the fastest truck out there, but it has plenty of power for cruising around.

I'm almost ready to start the body work and paint, but I drive it almost every day, and hate to take it off the road.
truckster

Post by truckster »

Nailhead or a Hemi
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

billva wrote:Image

I put a Mercedes om617 in my 66 last year. Has the Mercedes auto trans, and Crown Vic suspension front and rear.

Handles like a dream, and gets 25-30 mpg.

I just picked up the style side bed a few weeks ago.

It's not the fastest truck out there, but it has plenty of power for cruising around.

I'm almost ready to start the body work and paint, but I drive it almost every day, and hate to take it off the road.
Man, this is too cool! More details, please! How did you mount the drivetrain? Did the sump cause any trouble? What about fuel plumbing?
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

Guess that answered a lot of questions I had. I wonder the mercedes conversion would work with the 5 speed.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

I guess I'm a throwback. I love the 292 in my slick, especially the way it sounds. But sometimes I wonder what it'd be like with a 429 under the hood.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

bobenhotep wrote:Guess that answered a lot of questions I had. I wonder the mercedes conversion would work with the 5 speed.

Dan
If you could find the elusive MBZ 5-speed, you'd really be in business. I looked for one for my '80 300D, and gave up when I found core-prices of $2500, and then you need the flywheel, the shifter, etc... They never sold them in the states, and even in Europe, many parts are NLA. I think using an adapter and a domestic 5-speed would be a much better bet.

I can't stress how much I liked my Benz diesels. Yes they're slow, and the timing chain can be a hassle if it breaks, but they are absurdly rugged little engines and about as simple as it gets.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I have a friend here who is in the middle of swapping a MB 300D engine into his UNIMOG (early 60's, ex Swiss Army).....when you look @ the size of a Unimog, you wouldn't think things would b tight, but there's not alotta room to spare between the rails :? :shock:
cooter

Post by cooter »

i always wanted to try a duetz swap in something, fuel milage and simplicity all in one.
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I think for a work truck and even a sedate cruiser I`d put a Ford Duratorq diesel in with the 5 speed box same as in my work Transit van, has no sign of turbo lag and is good on fuel, only problem I see with them is they are rattly :( , other than that great!...
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Alan, is yours the big rwd Transit? We are finally getting the big one as a replacement for the venerable Econoline. It is available with a five cylinder "Powerstroke", but only with automatic transmission.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Paul, mine is the fairly big low roof RWD Transit, it has been a great truck except I have learnt to hate working out of a van since buying it, and tying anything on the roof racks is a pain in the backside, even with the low roof line. as I said it doesn`t have turbo lag, you put your foot down and it gets going.
I had a test drive of an auto version when I was looking around for this van, it scared me, the lag time from putting foot down and the van starting to move was almost countable, not a good look if you are trying to pull out in traffic, this what mine looks like!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... jE57tEbBcM
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Thanks, Alan, it looks a little different from the U.S. one; don't know if size is similar.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Man, I wish we got more small diesels here in the states.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I am a six cylinder fan so I will keep my 300 six.. BUT... I would like to do away with the 4 speed Granny and get one of the newer 5 speeds for her.. just not sure how to re-do the clutch.. the 5 speeds are hydraulic I think...
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Anthony yes the ZF 5spd uses a hyd. clutch. It's not that hard to make it work. I put an aftermarket HYD. clutch in my 78 Fairmont because of space issues. I pro streeted it & put a 351C with a top loader in it.

Tom Williams
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

that might be a future project for me then... :)
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I think the latter is best. No mechanical connection to fail or maintain, and with the electric motor free of said connection, it'll wind up faster--same principle a locomotive uses.