Considering a change of toys.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Re: Considering a change of toys.

Post by Toyz »

I'm thinking a 363" like the crate motors with the Hilborns would make a very "period correct" streeter you could drive anywhere ( carefully)!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I saw this one in California a couple of years ago.

It was a pretty nice looking car.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Steve, that wheel combo should look a gas! 8) LOL
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

My old racing partners have looked it over and given their engine opinions.

First choice, 427 SOHC with a blower, Hilborn 4 port injector and a C6 behind it. When I pointed out they wanted me to spend $60,000 on an engine, they understood my reluctance. It would be nice but I think Dianne would draw the line on mortgaging the house to buy an engine. Pretty sure on that one. She's a good sport on my car hobby but not even my old racing partners wanted to break the news to Dianne and neither one wanted to buy the engine for me as a present. First choice won't happen.

Second choice was a 392 early Hemi. Again blown with a Hilborn 4 port injector. They both seem to know where different 354/392 Hemis live so they were going to follow up on those. Still not looking good, they won't find them where they were 20+ years ago. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

I was offered the 430 Lincoln back that I had intended to put in my uni originally. He said he won't be getting to the tractor project any time soon and we could always find another 430 when he really needed one. That's almost plausible but .... blower or injector setups are sky high on price since they are so rare. There is actually a Hilborn injection setup 10 miles from my house for a 430 but he won't even consider selling it. He's turned down some big money for it, including money from Hilborn (seems they don't have one in their own museum). Getting closer but still not realistic.

We're still sorting options. Haven't ruled out a Hilborn injected 331 or a blown FE yet.

We're a long way from needing an engine but I have begun working on the uni again. Doing some rust repairs on it and hoping to get some more metal in epoxy primer soon. Working on building the tailgate and doing some more work on my right inner fender where I removed the battery dip. That is at least starting to look correct.

SPark
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

BUICK NAILHEAD!!!!!!

or a built buick 455......
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Sears sold the Henry J with an Allstate badge at one time. Never saw one except in the sears catalogue. That would really be a rare find!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

With a reported 317 Allstates sold; there are probably few opportunities to see one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnpFrLXaf70
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Would be interesting to know how many they actually built and how many Sears sold.

I contacted the Kaiser Registery and submitted the tag numbers off mine. It's the 41st earliest known Henry J in '51 out of 158 registered that were originally built with 4 cyl engines. Another 222 are registered that were 6 cyl cars. That only accounts for 380 Henry J's in 1951 and they aren't sure of actual production numbers. That makes mine around 105th out of the total known production so around the early/middle someplace. This registery has been kept sine the 60's and they try to keep it updated as info becomes available.

For Allstates there are only 33 registered in '52 and 27 in '53. Sears canceled their contract in '54 due to low sales. That's only 60 accounted for.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Congrats on a great car! I vote for a built 300-6, but I'm incorrigible when it comes to sixes...

If it's a V8, go for something close to a 427. Maybe a 410, or a 428? Regardless of what you choose, an FE can get cooked into whatever you want, there's a ton of them out there, and if you've got the budget and the eye for some period-correct accessories, it'd be one hell of a head turner.

No matter what you decide, an all-steel Henry J is a rare bird. Build her, drive her, and enjoy her!
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Drove to Shelbyville, KY today (actually left home at 11:00 Saturday night) and got home around 4:30 this afternoon. Picked up a nice, original 45 year old set of 15x4 slotted wheels with new 5.60x15 tires on them. The slots go on the front of the Maverick Pro Stock and the 5.60x15 go on the front of the Henry J.

17 hours of fun, drove thru thunderstorms for the first 7 hours in the middle of the night. Finally have my Maverick wheels and the tires were an unexpected bonus!

SPark

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Steve, the 317 figure came from the owner of a '52. I have no idea how that number was arrived at.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Here's a Henry J site that has a lot of cars. Wonder how many of them are actually registered as still existing?

http://www.henryjcars.com/

Here's the registery. Kept since the 60's. It's very doubtful that every known car is registered. Look at our site and how many new guys join every year. Hell, I thought we already owned all the slicks that were still out there yet they keep on coming!

http://www.eskimo.com/~hhagen/reg/reg.htm

SPark

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Steve you are a perfect example of why we keep gaining new members with what would seem to be a limited number of surviving Slicks. As you have recently done, WE RECYCLE :twisted:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul