Nobody ever sells a good used car!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Nobody ever sells a good used car!

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

:lol:
well i really must disagree for the most part as i generally have very good luck with used cars.all bought from private sellers.
and im one of those people who tend not to sell unless the need is very impportant.

i gave up a bunch of trucks to move down here, most at some loss and most with extra parts.

had a van a few years back, bought it for $400 , needed some brake work, had it 2 years until D went out, sold it for $300 with full disclosure of the issue of only 1 and 2 being operational. guy who bought it could care less and put in another trans, he was looking for a cheap ride.

i really laugh hard at the folks on judge Judy who are suing on used cars. :bangin:

as is where is, buyer beware.
if you dont know what it is keep your coin in your pocket.
if your paying a low amount say $2K or less the most important thing to consider is
will it make it home.

never ever ever buy from a used car lot.
never ever buy something that needs emissions tests, little tiny electronic parts can be very expensive.
never ever buy cars that were loaded new, there just more stuff to go wrong.later lincolns and other so called luxury cars especially.
if it has a computer and no carburetor i wont even look at it.

used cars are used.
these days the dealers call them previously owned.
they are still used.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

It depends on your situation and need.

My wife drove 125,000 miles every 4 years commuting to work. She needed a very dependable car. Every 4 years we traded for a new car. She always had a warranty and dependable car to drive.

I on the other hand, have always had used pickups. I take the time to search out low mileage trucks and pay accordingly. I am pretty careful about what I buy and spend a lot of time shopping.

This last go-round, I was at the point I needed to spend some coin on my pickup for a few minor items but the '99 had 145,000 on it. I had never had an engine problem, tranny problem or anything else. I felt I was due. I started shopping for a good replacement. The used ones I was finding that I was interested in all cost $25-35,000 and had anywhere from 25-50,000 miles on them and no warranty. I found I could buy a brand new truck (2013 still sitting on the lot and bought in 2014), exactly like I wanted it, for the same money and it has a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. 5/50,000 on everything else. That's a no brainer for me. I got my first new truck.

My daughters both buy used vehicles. I've always helped them as much as possible by looking at the cars and offering my opinion. So far, we have hit one car that had a few problems but they all ended up being an emission part that once changed fixed all problems she was experiencing. Even though it was a used car with 25,000 and she was not the original owner the dealer stepped up and made it right with her. I have no complaints with that.

I feel any vehicle purchase is based on 3 things.

#1, use some common sense. If the car is priced well below book, there is probably a reason for that. You're probably not getting the deal you thought you were.

#2, it has to feel right. I know people that bought a vehicle based solely on the price. Once they got it they decided they didn't really like it that much but were stuck with it. If it doesn't "feel right" if probably isn't.

#3, do your homework. Know what you want, narrow it down and don't get distracted by shiny things. I've bought cars in the past that had nice wheels and shiny paint but the rest of the car was junk. Don't justify your purchase and don't be afraid to ask a friend to check it out to confirm what you find and think.

I don't want computers on my toys. I like them simple. I like some of the computer things my newer vehicles benefit from. I don't understand all the computer stuff, and I don't like it all, but the days of a true daily driver without a computer are fast becoming a thing of the past. It's just not realistic on most situations. I like a full sized pickup that has room for 5 full grown adults, 4x4, all the creature comforts and still gets 21MPG at 70mph. I'll take that technology and the risk that goes with it.

Used can be just fine, new can be junk. It's all a crap shoot!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Farm auctions are a good place to find good used equipment
Tractors , combines , vehicles....machinery
When you get to see all of it.... You can tell
If it was well taken care of.... Or ran into the ground...
So I have to say ... There is some good used stuff out there

Caveat emptor
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I found my '99 F250 at a farm auction. Big farmer that only used it to pull his camper. He had a couple beaters to use around the farm so the '99 looked new.

Nothing wrong with used, just use your best sense when looking.

Good point Pat.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

I sell good used cars when ever I buy a new one which is rare. Sold a 75 Dodge Charger used in 1997. It had 180k miles. Saw that car off and on for the next 10 years. Bought a 2004 Buick Regal new to replace my 92 Dodge Spirit that I bought new. Gave the Spirit to my son and he drove it for 2 years and sold it. I still see that car on the road. Sold my 86 Dodge W100 in 1998 when I bought a new 1999 Dodge 2500 QC. Still see the 86 on the road as a matter of fact just last week. Sold my 1999 Dodge 2500 when I bought my new 2010 3500 Dodge CC in 2010. I know that one is still going as I sold that one to my Nephew. I take care of my stuff and when I sell them it is not because they are nickel and diming me it is because a new car every 12 years or so is kind of nice to have. By the way when I replace the Regal in about 2 years. It will become my going back and forth to work car and I will sell a well maintained 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

This is an interesting thread. I have always had good luck buying used cars like other people here. I feel comfortable that I know what I am looking at and what to expect. The last used vehicle I bought was my '66 Ranger. I was told it was mechanically 100%..... It was after re-doing the brakes and replacing a rear axle seal. Then drove it 2000 miles home. I have also found that many people give up on a used vehicle right after they've replaced all the items that are likely to fail. I have also sold many used vehicles that were good cars/trucks. I'd find a deal, fix it up, get tired of it and move on to the next one.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Buying a used car is like anything else. You should buy from someone you have faith in. I've bought from both kinds, and mostly it's worked out well enough. A used vehicle is just that, and just because it worked out well for the previous owner doesn't mean it will for you. That being said, most people trade cars for their own reasons but not because these cars are worn out. Ice is right , buyer beware. As to these newer cars and trucks, it's a different ballgame . You can spend a grand on one in a hurry in repairs. You must be careful, and judge and determine both seller and vehicle. Don't be in a big hurry and let your wants guide you. Consider who your buying from and their situation. Such as, I don't buy from preachers that have a small congregation and little money. Not that there is anything wrong with these folk, it's lack of money for maintenance that worries me. The fire truck I just bought is a nice example of poor maintenance. Once it had gotten older it became the backup vehicle and wasn't used as much. Then it became hard to start and it got some really poor carb work. By whom I don't know, but whosoever messed with the carb screwed it up royally.
Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

I don't agree that it is cheaper to buy new and certainly, you shouldn't expect used cars to be perfect but they can be just what you need.

I bought my '88 Firebird with 90000 miles. Now it's over 160000 and it hasn't needed much at all. Including the purchase price and necessary repairs, I might have $10000 in it over I think 12 years that I've owned it. It does have it's issues but nothing major and I maintain it pretty well. The engine is not caked in crud. It's clean underneath. I usually wipe some portion of it down any time I'm under the car. It's far from perfect but it does what I need it to do. I'm certain that I am an anomaly for a person my age, but I just don't care about all of this modern electronic stuff. Don't need it.

By comparison, new cars that suited my personality at the time would cost about $30000 plus full coverage insurance while the loan is paid off, plus 25 years of emissions testing (15 more years than the firebird) plus depreciation (although I would likely never sell it so this may not really be a factor). So a used car has saved me more than $20000. And, at the time, if I was even approved for the loan, all I would be doing for about 5 years is paying off a car. No money for any kind of fun and that simply was not an option.

I have no interest in a new car even now, when I can afford it. Something I always tell someone who is considering buying a used, particularly older vehicle is that they should have a desire to learn how to repair it. Otherwise, stick with new or, say within 10 years of age. Older vehicles will have trouble and particularly with much older stuff, like '70s and older, there just aren't many shops with people who know how to work on them. If they can't plug a computer into the car, they don't know what to do. And there is nothing wrong with that. The vast majority of their work will be newer stuff so that is really all they need to be able to fix to keep the lights on and food on the table.

As far as more modern electronics go, like efi, I much prefer that over carbs. It is a whole lot easier to troubleshoot because you can just plug a computer in and see which sensor is not working correctly. Sometimes it's not that simple but much of the time it is and you don't have to go through a labor intensive troubleshooting session. So far, any engine problem I have had with the car has been solved by plugging in my laptop and seeing what is going on. That is definitely a benefit.

What I don't like is plastic. On an older vehicle, it cracks when you look at it and it is often not reproduced and anything you find in the salvage yard is as bad or worse. For this reason, I'm seriously considering to never buy anything say mid 60s or newer again. I do not like plastic in cars.
Last edited by charliemccraney on July 2, 2014, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

With notable exceptions, I prefer to buy just above the "junk" category and pricing. I have been extremely fortunate to have owned some really nice vehicles based on that premise. I do like for my wife to have a low-mileage, clean, driver still in warranty. Those two contradictions have served me quite well, driving high-horsepower vehicles I could actually afford. With hers warrantied, and mine repaired by myself at my own pace, my "cost of ownership" has been quite reasonable.
That credo has only seriously failed me one time in a long life with an outrageous number of vehicles!
We have a 14 year old roadster with 60,000 miles, made by FORD! My reasoning was that any clean $88,000 sticker vehicle with 40,000 miles which can be purchased for well under 1/5 of the original price can't be all bad! That proved in-correct, not because of this particular vehicle, but because of the series' manufacturing defects! Although not a really comfortable car, it is a really quick and fast car! Neither the quick nor fast is it's downfall! Such things as windows which roll up and down at inopportune times, or not at all, valve cover O-rings which never quite manage to stay sealed, and a convertible top operating system which literally pisses on the occupants whether operated or not, are some of it's failings
So, yeah it's buyer beware out there; however with the internet, there is no reason to not be aware of inherent defects!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

my wife does not like new vehicles either.
her #1 choice which i have not been able to provide as of yet is
slick crewcab 4x4.
she still has not gotten over selling her 66 4x4 before moving down here.

i have had to make a few road rescues over the 20 years we have been together,never ones i did not fix by the roadside and get home.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

I saw a 66 slick crew the other night. It was running a diesel engine of some sort.. I thought it was bad ass, my wife not so much.

Though my wife did drive my slick to work today. :steering: I found her a 64 slick, that she likes, but she won't pull the trigger.
I can't blame her. Her argument is what are we going to do with 3 trucks? Plus we just sold a 64 Fairlane wagon because we don't need to wagons.

We don't need 2 trucks but I wanted a farm truck to put around town in. Cruising the back roads that are gravel weren't fun in wagon that pretty clean and nice, Plus my slick on cost me $1300 cash and a trade that had been sitting for 3 years.

Sorry I know :offtop:
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Macon ACE
United States of America

Post by Macon ACE »

I think I've sold 2 cars, 2 trucks, and 1 motorcycle to individuals (I usually trade in). The only vehicle that I know had an issue was an '88 Crown Vic with a little over 100K miles. The battery or alternator light was on when I sold it. Didn't try to hide it. One of the trucks, a '73 F100 if I recall correctly, I sold cheap because the buyer claimed it needed a clutch. I didn't know much about mechanical stuff at the time -- I just knocked a few hundred off the price.

I've bought dozens of used cars, trucks, and motorcycles in the past 35 years. And I can't think of any that really had any issues other than normal wear and tear. Can't say I ever ran across an instance where someone had hidden something from me. But before I knew what I was doing I would usually take my Dad along to give an expert opinion. His advice probably saved me thousands.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Come to think of it, Ezer sells them all the time! :P
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

A few months back I bought a used 1996 F-150 that the owner had sitting for awhile. Good tune-up, few bottles of fuel injector cleaner and a power wash and it's literally a brand new truck again. There are deals out there and people do have to sell things for different reasons.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

I bought my 98 Dodge pickup from a guy because he was going to prison. I am sure the guy I bought it from thought it was a "bad car" so he broke the law so he could go to prison and have a good excuse to sell a "bad car". I am just glad the transmission wasn't going out or he might have murdered someone. Thanks, Lyman.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

only ever bought one car from a female
it was a vw bug, back in the early 1980s
got a screaming deal on it because it had an oil drip from one of the pushrod tubes.
an easy fix and after i put lots of miles on it for very little money (it got close to 40mpg and gas was still well below $1 per gallon) i sold it to a friend.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton